16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Gun and dog pics from when we were young
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:14 am  Reply with quote

This started with a thread on the Bird Dogs & DoubleGuns Forum and I though it might be fun to continue over here. Hard to look at these pics-the dogs are long gone and life probably didn't turn out quite as we thought back then. Please contribute and share your story.

Kate after a day in the snow fall/ 91'-truck, gun, birds, and dog now clean. Me still to go Rolling Eyes

Opening day Nov. 91' Friend Jack, Will the wonder dog (who ran with the wind and wasn't quite ready to quit hunting), and a pile of Missouri woodcock and quail near El Dorado Springs along Clear Creek.

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

Drew,

Great pics. Do you treat Beth that good? Smile

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

Drew.

That is one pretty pup. But that plastic hat... Whats up with that?

You've inspired me to learn how to post photos, so I can put up a photo or two of my pup, now 9 1/2 years old and arthritic.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

I can only hope I looked half that good in '91.... (referring to the dog)

hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

I don't have that many pictures of my old hunting partners but have a whole bunch of memories----from their first retrieves to their last day alive
Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't take a camera bird hunting until about 5-6 yrs ago. But both of these hunting partners are now gone.

Belle pointing some W. Texas quail.

Cutie pointing some more W. Texas Quail.

Mattkcc
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:43 pm  Reply with quote

What memories of guns and dogs from my youth. The dogs were German Shepherds and the guns were the S&W M15, M16 and the 870. My dogs were not allowed to chase game, at least not birds or bunnies.

Thor was my tough guy.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p88/Mattkcc/Pim0004.jpg

I do mean tough.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p88/Mattkcc/Pim0003.jpg

Jody was a great drug dog that ruined many a drug dealer's day.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p88/Mattkcc/File0005.jpg

Jody on a high alert, hiding drugs in the ceiling tiles didn't stop him from finding them.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p88/Mattkcc/File0007.jpg

Alex was the best tracking dog I ever handled and a big clown. The girls loved him and he got me many dates.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p88/Mattkcc/File0008.jpg
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:54 am  Reply with quote

Talk about when we were young; this photo was taken about 51 years ago Shocked! Nip's hunting experience was limited, but he did manage to score one pheasant during his career. If you'd like to know the rest of the story, it's in the May/June 2005 issue of Sporting Classics magazine.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:06 am  Reply with quote

What a tease, fin. Can't you at least offer to email us a scan of the article or something.

Great picture, by the way.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:17 am  Reply with quote

662 wrote:
What a tease, fin. Can't you at least offer to email us a scan of the article or something.

Great picture, by the way.

Thanks. Yeah, after I posted that I thought maybe it was kind of a dirty trick. If anybody's interested PM me and I'll get it to you one way or the other.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

Great pics all.

Matt...you obviously had an interesting career. I do love to watch those dope dogs (and the others) do their thing! Doesn't matter if they're bird dogs or bad-guy dogs, it always seems like they're smiling when they get into it!
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

Birdswatter- training a French Brit. is sure different from German Shepherds and a lot less painfully. My last military dog was given to me due to uncontrolled aggression. If I wasn't able to get him under control he was going to be put down, Several weeks and seven bites later he got the idea that I was boss. When the dog turns on you, you have to pull him off the ground on his choke chain until ha quits or passes out. The last time he turned on me I yanked him off his feet but the choke chain slipped to far up his neck just behind the ears and he wouldn't pass out. Every time I put him back down he tried to eat me again. Finally I decided to shoot him because I couldn't hold him up any longer. Only problem I was so tired I couldn't hold him up with one hand to get at my gun. I finally got him to a large oak tree and knocked him out. When he woke up he finally decided I was boss and we were great buddies.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

Rough way to establish dominance, but you are fortunate, judging by what I have seen them do. My first few searches behind one (years ago) made me a little nervous until I realized how sensitive they are as to who the real BG is. Now I go every chance I get just to watch them do their thing.

Kudos for saving him from being put down.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, Matt; what a story! Stones, man, stones! I salute you!

Fin

Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

Fortunately when I got out of the service and was training and handling police dogs they were not as aggressive. Fin2feather it did take stones to train and handle those military dogs but after a really bad training incident with that dog alas I am left with one. Thank God he gave me two. The worst training accident I saw was in my second day of training. They had a procedure if a dog got loose you were supposed to pick your dog up to prevent a dog fight. The instructor decided to run a loose dog drill even though the handlers had not bonded with their dogs yet. When the instructor yelled loose dog we all picked up are dogs like good troops. I noticed the guy next to me was struggling to hold on to his dog. The dog finally bit they handler in the neck hooking a canine in his throat and slit him from the adams apple to the ear. I never saw so much blood in my life. They were able to save him and a few days later he was back in training with the same dog who nearly killed him ( now that handler had stones).