16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Questions on my 16g. GARANTIZADA POR B. VILLABELLA EIBAR
curiousJim
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:22 am  Reply with quote

Hello 16 gauge connoisseurs,

I have tried to search for some information about a gun that I have, online, and it directed me to this site where "rayb" talked about getting a percussion double barrel shotgun in Sept. of 2005 with the same name as mine, Garantizada Por B. Villabella Eibar. I do not know much about it at all. I received it from my Dad a few years before he died (1991). I believe he got it from a friend of his, who died about 10 years ago so I have no way of researching it through any of the previous owners. It is a percussion rifle that has an octagonal barrel. It appears to be quite old and the ramrod is broken off at the base of its holder. It has some strange markings before the name, on the top of the barrel. The marking just before the name is a half moon that is on its side so it looks like a smile, and it has a 5-pointed star above it. The marking before that looks like a math symbol (pie (3.14) - two lines with another squiggly one over the top) with an extra leg on the right side. Then it has a mark above it on the upper right which looks like an elongated triangle laying on its side facing the stock. Then on the upper left side of that marking it has what looks like diamond shape that was squashed together a bit from the top and bottom. I tried to take a picture of it but my camera couldn't quite take it clear enough on its macro setting.

I know it is hard to get a visual picture by words but I do not know how to post my pictures in this message so I cannot attach any of them here. ??? I can send them via email if anyone would like to see them. Sven73camaro@aim.com

Thanks for any information or direction you may be able to provide.

Jim

[/img]
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

I know that 'Eibar' is in Spain. I can't translate the 'Garantizada Por B. Villabella' but I doubt that is the makers name.
berg
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

translates as " it is guaranteed by B. Villabella, Eibar"

so Villabaella could have been the maker, there were a ton of them in the Eibar region.

if nobody here can give you any more help on the rest of the markings try the gun id forum over at shotgunworld.com. There are some guys over there that can decipher just about any markings on a gun.

berg
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

doublegunshop.com would be another place to try. There have been bunches of small makers come and go in the Basque region of Spain. Don't recall the name Villabella, so I'm guessing that maker has been out of business for some time.