16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Got all the pieces of my Sterly back.....
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

...and put them together, and tomorrow, I will shoot it....can't wait (jig's old gun).....it's under 6 pounds by a few ounces, gotta weigh it next week... bbls reblued, cones lengthened and it is now choked .005 and .012, putting some goop on the stock right over the old finish (something from Brownells that my OTHER buddy Larry (not Brown) told me about. Had a pad put on due to my lankiness, out to 14 3/4 now....MAY need to heat bend a wee bit o' cast off in, not sure yet.... I think it will do nicely on ruffed grouse, sharps and huns... this is the current plan..... all the 16ga guns I recently got (Elsie, Model 21 and this Sterly) are 1 1/2 (comb) and 2 1/2 (heel) and will wind up at 14 3/4" LOP... I should be able to shoot these fine..... them's my perfect measurements....I think I'm done for awhile......they are all kind of similar, no engraving, pistol grip, I like them.....they're so...so...well....AMERICAN.... Smile

...anyhow, this excitable boy just needed to share....

(ex)britgun

fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice. There's nothing more American than a good old field grade double gun. Fancy is nice, but field rules! Shoot 'em in good health.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
fred lauer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Just picked up a 1927 Phila. Sterlingworth this afternoon.Previous owner had chambers lengthened, looks like about 4" forcing cones honed ahead of chambers.28" bbls.,chokes opened to IC, Lt.MOD. Has a short pad on it, will have to change to something longer. Short stocks beat the sheepdip out of me. Gun seems a bit lighter than my Utica gun,so I definatly want the stock length. No.3 bbls. Well used ,but will still outlast me. Also has one of those brite green front sights Confused ,not sure why that would be on a FOX. Will probably change to a white Bradley. I'll post some before and afters when I get her spruced up. Typical dents in stock, spots worn thru, worn black checkering, all needs a good scrubbin'. Ain't it fun messin' with old guns? Very Happy

mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
fred lauer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Mike, I have to get my other thread pitch ga. from my toolbox at work and see if the thread is 40 or 48. I saw the ivorys in Brownells, they are 48 thread. That would look nice on the old girl.

jig
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Britgun-you promised some pix now....don't be a welcher.
There is more than a small part of me that is racked with jealousy as you can prolly guess. So at least let me revel in what couldve been, and what is now, for you. That said, there is nobody other than family I'd want to have that Sterly more than you. I know it sin good hands and can rest easy knowing someone like you in the wilds of "tana" is gonna carry it in the tradition of Uncle Teddy (Roosevelt). He's fresh on my mind as I just finished reading his hunting and adventures all over Montana from his base ranch in dakota. Huury up with those pix now!
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

Have ordered those Brownell beads before. The base is oversize; no matter what they say the thread size is, I don't think they'll screw in. No matter; just turn 'em down a bit and secure them with a dab of epoxy. In fact, I just received two, one each for my 16 and 20ga Sterlingworth. Hope to install them this weekend!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Very nice. There's nothing more American than a good old field grade double gun. Fancy is nice, but field rules! Shoot 'em in good health.

Fin

My recent buying behaviors point to agreement with you..... thanks for the article....

Duncan

britgun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

fred lauer wrote:
Just picked up a 1927 Phila. Sterlingworth this afternoon.Previous owner had chambers lengthened, looks like about 4" forcing cones honed ahead of chambers.28" bbls.,chokes opened to IC, Lt.MOD. Has a short pad on it, will have to change to something longer. Short stocks beat the sheepdip out of me. Gun seems a bit lighter than my Utica gun,so I definatly want the stock length. No.3 bbls. Well used ,but will still outlast me. Also has one of those brite green front sights Confused ,not sure why that would be on a FOX. Will probably change to a white Bradley. I'll post some before and afters when I get her spruced up. Typical dents in stock, spots worn thru, worn black checkering, all needs a good scrubbin'. Ain't it fun messin' with old guns? Very Happy

yes, it is fun....2 more coats of this vile stock goop and I'm good to go. I think I have No. 4 bbls.... how do you tell? What does your gun weigh? nice choke config, incidently...... nice that the barrel work is already done for you.... jig wouldn't take care of that, left it all up to me.... Smile

britgun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:02 pm  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
Britgun-you promised some pix now....don't be a welcher.
There is more than a small part of me that is racked with jealousy as you can prolly guess. So at least let me revel in what couldve been, and what is now, for you. That said, there is nobody other than family I'd want to have that Sterly more than you. I know it sin good hands and can rest easy knowing someone like you in the wilds of "tana" is gonna carry it in the tradition of Uncle Teddy (Roosevelt). He's fresh on my mind as I just finished reading his hunting and adventures all over Montana from his base ranch in dakota. Huury up with those pix now!

hey buddy, let me slather a couple more coats of slime on the wood, and then get somebody to coach me on how to post pics....I'm technically challenged Embarassed

Duncan

jchandler
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:35 am  Reply with quote

Quote:

yes, it is fun....2 more coats of this vile stock goop and I'm good to go. I think I have No. 4 bbls.... how do you tell? What does your gun weigh? nice choke config, incidently...... nice that the barrel work is already done for you.... jig wouldn't take care of that, left it all up to me....

Barrel weight would be marked in front of the flats. Sometimes gets rubbed off as they were finished. #1 heaviest to #4 lightest. McIntosh has a table of the weights in his book.
I was fortunate to find a 30in #3 16 Sterlingworth.

Jeff
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:35 am  Reply with quote

Here's the brl weight data (which for the record was provided by the good Fin)

12ga:

#1, 26"-3/14; 28"-4/0; 30"-4/2; 32"-4/4
#2, 26" 3/10; 28" 3/12; 30" - 3/14; 32" 4/0
#3, 26"-3/6; 28" 3/8; 30"-3/10; 32"-3/12
#4, 26"-3/2; 28"-3/4; 30"-3/6; 32"-3/8

16ga:

#1, 26"-3/15; 28"-4/1; 30"-4/3; 32"-4/5
#2, 26"-3/10;28"-3/12; 30"-3/14; 32"-4/0
#3, 26"-3/4; 28"-3/6; 30"3/8; 32"-3/10
#4, 26"-2/15; 28"-3/1; 30"3/3; 32"-3/5

20ga:

#0, 26"-3/14; 28"-4/0; 30"-4/2; 32"-4/4
#2, 26"-3/7; 28"-3/9; 30"3/11; 32"-3/13
#3, 26"-3/0; 28"-3/2; 30"-3/4; 32"3/6
#4, 26"-2/10; 28"-2/12; 30"-2/14; 32"-3/0

jig
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:01 am  Reply with quote

i was never able to locate what could be cited as a number on those bbls. But, i think it's very safe to say they are the lightest bbls that were made for the Sterly. How else could that gun get to sub 6 LBS?
britgun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 am  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
i was never able to locate what could be cited as a number on those bbls. But, i think it's very safe to say they are the lightest bbls that were made for the Sterly. How else could that gun get to sub 6 LBS?

good point, one thing I can do is weigh them and see how close they come to the chart revdoc so kindly posted for us...

txshootist
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Duncan,

I really admire your willingness to individualize your gun. You'll have a great shooter as well as a fine looker. I am so hung up on originality, it could shoot around the corner, but as long as it is original it's o.k. It's not good enough for me to just enjoy the gun. I have to get a magnifier out and inspect every square inch for suspicious marks, etc. Hell, it's a used gun Marc, get over it!

My Sterly has rather humble (albeit original) wood that might benefit from a quality re-finishing. I could easily do the work, but then I get all balled up about the value of the gun when I am done.

I guess that's what makes this hobby so neat. Several avenues in which to pursue. Enjoy your Sterly and post pics when yhou can.

Marc