16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 ga Beretta silverhawk
fastarget
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:47 pm  Reply with quote

Ran into a 16 ga silverhawk today, I had no idea Beretta even made a 16, could not get any history on it, but I will assume it is an older gun.
Anyone own or know if these guns are worth pursuing? wanted around 1800 for it.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 am  Reply with quote

If you search the forums you'll find quite a few threads.

Here's one: http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2199&highlight=beretta

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
fastarget
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:10 am  Reply with quote

Foursquare, thanks
Looks like the price is constant for what I see in the discussion, and i am assuming they are quality guns???
Any problems to be aware off?
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:15 am  Reply with quote

I think the 409 series guns (and the Silverhawk is a version of the 409 made for the American market) were the last ones imported to this country available in 16ga, and those guns date back to the mid to late 60's. I've seen a couple more recent Beretta sxs 16's, but I think they were bought in Europe--likely by people in the military who brought them home.

$1800 sounds pretty high for a SH unless it's in really nice shape, but then Beretta 16's are not very common. You may well be able to find something from the same era, like maybe a Sauer or a Bernardelli, that's of the same quality but for less money. You can also buy a new Ugartechea for less than that, or if you'd just as soon have an OU as a sxs, a new Citori or FAIR would also be cheaper. Choices, choices.
fastarget
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:18 am  Reply with quote

very good,

I like having lots of choices as long as the quality is there, and I know that may not have anything to do with the price.....FAIR has not been on most writers favorite guns lately.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:30 am  Reply with quote

If you fall for the Beretta I'm sure its quality will be up to many years of use. The problem is always the price on 16ga Berettas'. they have gone a little nuts the last two years. It was a good find around the $1500 mark now anything less than $2000 is looking good. It would be interesting to know what vintage this one is. If you loose interest in this one don't hesitate to PM me its location. I have a serious afliction when it comes to a nice Beretta 16 ga.
Best,
Ron
fastarget
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:34 am  Reply with quote

No problem, I will do it, as soon as I can get them to contact me back... Crying or Very sad

I like Berettas, and would really be interested in a V. Bernardelli if one would ever be found in a 16, I think they are excellent guns especially the roma series.

One of these would surely bring back memories from 35 years ago.... Very Happy
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:58 am  Reply with quote

Fastarget,
Take a look at Auction Arms and Gun Broker. One of them has a B gun in 16ga. I think it is a Roma model. It was listed at $1395.00. The shop has a store front so it doesn't look risky.
Best,
Ron
fastarget
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

wow, awesome still can't find it, but will keep trying ,,,,,,thanks
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

I want to help spend your money...Well atleast give you the chance. It is AuctionArms ;http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7628099
Best,
Ron
fastarget
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Ron,

Thanks , I found it, .....had a couple of emails with the guy, he seems to think that a Uggie or a Beretta in his opinion is better quality Confused .........
I have a roma 6 in a 20ga, and it is as good as can be built, dont know much about the roma 3. Embarassed ...Anyway he said that the stock was cracked and repaired, it is on consignment,

What about the price is it good, Blue book says 1150 or so...he is asking 1399.......... Question

so what is the verdict on the quality????that to me is more important than the price.
SShooterZ
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

I've watched a few of his guns over the years and he is generally a little on the "high" side.

General opinion of the V Bernardelli guns is that they're a solid made gun. However, I think you could find comparable in the $750 - $950 range if you look enough.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:01 am  Reply with quote

I had my eye on the Roma 3 for some time. I decided no monthes ago. The stock has a hairline crack behind the action block into the wrist that does not look like it was caused by impact damage. It most likely came from a flawed blank. This can be a very tricky place to work on for repair. It will not be cheap, and there will be no gaurantee of success.

Most of these non-impact caused stock cracks or splits come from using inadequately aged walnut, or a blank that was dried out too fast in a kiln. Somewhat green woodor a hurried blank will often split in the stress areas like this one. The blank was not stable when the stock was carved. It still needed to stabilize more, before it was laid out and carved. Now it is splitting in a very sensitive area, and very well might continue to do so. There may be more problems lurking in the wood too. One crack of this type can very well mean there are others. The only sure fix is a new stock in this case.

A replacement stock will cost you a big piece of change too. Finding a factory replacement could be just about impossible. A carved from blank stock will be over $1 thousand by a good amount for this gun. If the wood was good, I'd have bought it at his asking price. However, its a considerable gamble as it is now.

PS: Never take the word of a seller that a stock crack in the wrist is repaired. Most folks who repair them won't gaurantee it will hold. They will only say they will repair it again if it keeps opening. The seller can't guarantee anything either. You might be looking at a fool's bargain.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:32 am  Reply with quote

If I were looking for one, I'd pay $1400 in a heartbeat for a Roma 3E 16ga (or Gamecock Deluxe--they're the same gun) if it were in very good shape. Definitely not with a cracked stock.

I've owned several Bernardellis, and have only two minor complaints about them. First, they tend to be a bit thick in the wrist for my taste (and often have fairly thick combs too). Second, a lot of them have pretty short barrels. This goes back to the period when short barreled sxs were pretty popular, and lots of Bernies were imported with the somewhat odd barrel lengths of either 25 1/2" or 26 3/4". Interesting choke combinations, however. The short ones were usually C/M, while the longer ones were IC/IM. I had one of the longer ones in 16. Would've liked another inch or so of barrel, but it was a pretty good pheasant gun. They are very well made guns. Give me one in good condition with comparable features to a brand new Uggie, and I'll take the Bernie every time for the same money. Would even pay a bit of a premium.
fastarget
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:00 am  Reply with quote

Hi SShooterZ.......You are correct the guy is always high on his stuff.....

I agree with Larry, and 16gaguy, 16 is right about the stock, and I would have picked it up in a heartbeat if in good shape........
couple of month ago we bought a roma 6 , 20ga 28".......what a well made gun, my most balanced and lightest shogun.

It was dissapointing but hey, another will come by, maybe the beretta will work out....and one day a Forgeron.....just like I was 8 again... Laughing