16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  More 16ga Citoris on the way..
ckirk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

A couple of weeks back Reed's Sports Goods in Minnesota had Citori 16 ga. lightning feathers advertised for $1699.00. The website is www.reedssports.com and it may be worth a look. My experience with them was positive.
jig
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

You can get all steel 16GA citoris for that price or less sometimes.
With the added feature of durability and inserts that don't slip over time.

If you plan to shoot the gun a lot, or much clay practice, I'd suggest all steel receivers for my money. But, if youre comfy with alloy, have at it. The other problem is sometimes alloy guns balance weird with weight more toward extremities which can effect carry and swing. But if 1/2 -3/4 Lbs is worth those shortcomings to you, then you know what you want. Just don't expect anything else.
Dan Salmon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

I think that anything that can take the stress of flight repeatedly for a given service life and not come apart will be more than serviceable for a gun receiver for a couple of lifetimes. But that's my opinion and you know what they say, "Opinions are like elbows, everyone's got a couple."
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:47 am  Reply with quote

jig,
Sorry but I think you are wrong on the Feathers. Mine balances just fine, shoots straight when I do, gets shot a lot and shows no signs of any wearing out etc. It gets used for trap, sporting clays and the occasional walk in the field.
The 1/2-3/4 lb difference is also a plus. Recoil doesn't bother me so using a couple hundred 1 oz loads in an outing is not a problem either.

My $.02 Wink

fastarget
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:59 am  Reply with quote

picked up a 525 feather (12) Wink myself, carried it for 4 hours on the last hunt, points and swings great, no problems yet.....
jig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Like I said, if the 1/2-3/4 LB is worth the lost quotient of piece of mind from a durability standpoint and you're comfortable with that, then the choice is right for you. From what I've seen occurr with some alloy guns lately, I just can't do it. My deal is that I want my guns built like tanks and the assurance that provides of knowing they will stand up to the abuse I throw at em. I'm very hard on my guns from a use standpoint. I fastidiously maintain them, but shoot them a lot, scrape them on earth, bushes, rocks, throw them in and out of the car many times per day etc.

Probably why I like Citoris so much in the first place. They are durable, cheap and shoot well time after time for me. I never really worry about scratching them becasue I know its gonna happen. I never worry about slipped inserts, or failing receivers. I try and always keep a ready maintenance kit with extra parts and pins etc. I also know they can be totally rebuilt when I wear em out. Just love all that.
If the Feathers and other alloy guns offered that, I would own one.
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:19 am  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
Like I said, if the 1/2-3/4 LB is worth the lost quotient of piece of mind from a durability standpoint and you're comfortable with that, then the choice is right for you. From what I've seen occurr with some alloy guns lately, I just can't do it. My deal is that I want my guns built like tanks and the assurance that provides of knowing they will stand up to the abuse I throw at em. I'm very hard on my guns from a use standpoint. I fastidiously maintain them, but shoot them a lot, scrape them on earth, bushes, rocks, throw them in and out of the car many times per day etc.

Probably why I like Citoris so much in the first place. They are durable, cheap and shoot well time after time for me. I never really worry about scratching them becasue I know its gonna happen. I never worry about slipped inserts, or failing receivers. I try and always keep a ready maintenance kit with extra parts and pins etc. I also know they can be totally rebuilt when I wear em out. Just love all
If the Feathers and other alloy guns offered that, I would own one.

help me find one of those light, 26" straight stocked NON ALLOY jobs, plain jane, no bling, used is fine...

dunc

jig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:46 am  Reply with quote

I will Brit. As of last week, i knew where that exact thing was. I can even have them weigh it for you if you'd like but I suspect it's somewhere between 6.5 and 7Lbs. Citori's can vary pretty widely in actual versus published weights. Case in point: I bought a 12GA XS Skeet with 30" tubes that has a published weight of 7LB 15oz. Mine, with stock cut to 14"LOP, weighed in at exactly 7Lbs. That is pretty light for a skeet gun, but that was fine with me because it worked good as a field gun too (cept for those pesky mid-rib vents and ports). That is why I traded it in for the GTS Elite which was similar minus the ports and vents. Only problem is the GTS weighed in at just over 8LBs -yikes!!!. So, I traded it for two guns - a 28GA Ultra XS with 30" tubes (I'm in Love) and a citori Superlight 26". I now have exactly what suits me, though one day I will probably look for another XS Skeet in 12GA/30" tubes as a dedicated clays gun. I love the parallel comb on the XS guns as it mitigates recoil as well as makes the gun a versatile clays gun. They are great for all clay games - even trap i dare say.
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:03 am  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
I will Brit. As of last week, i knew where that exact thing was. I can even have them weigh it for you if you'd like but I suspect it's somewhere between 6.5 and 7Lbs. Citori's can vary pretty widely in actual versus published weights. Case in point: I bought a 12GA XS Skeet with 30" tubes that has a published weight of 7LB 15oz. Mine, with stock cut to 14"LOP, weighed in at exactly 7Lbs. That is pretty light for a skeet gun, but that was fine with me because it worked good as a field gun too (cept for those pesky mid-rib vents and ports). That is why I traded it in for the GTS Elite which was similar minus the ports and vents. Only problem is the GTS weighed in at just over 8LBs -yikes!!!. So, I traded it for two guns - a 28GA Ultra XS with 30" tubes (I'm in Love) and a citori Superlight 26". I now have exactly what suits me, though one day I will probably look for another XS Skeet in 12GA/30" tubes as a dedicated clays gun. I love the parallel comb on the XS guns as it mitigates recoil as well as makes the gun a versatile clays gun. They are great for all clay games - even trap i dare say.

are they all vent? do they do a solid rib?

jig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:18 am  Reply with quote

As citoris they all have vent top-ribs now. Sporting cit's all have at the minimum vented tops and some 9most) have vented mid ribb too. For what you're looking for the Citori Superlight, they all have only vented top ribs.
The only solid rib Superlight was some variations of the superposed superlight such as can be found at cabelas, boise store - they aint cheap though.
jig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:21 am  Reply with quote

I would love to see Browning put out a solid rib superlight - I'd be so all over that...oh and a double trigger too. Don't know why they don't it would sell like the dickens. Better call em up.
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:22 am  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
As citoris they all have vent top-ribs now. Sporting cit's all have at the minimum vented tops and some 9most) have vented mid ribb too. For what you're looking for the Citori Superlight, they all have only vented top ribs.
The only solid rib Superlight was some variations of the superposed superlight such as can be found at cabelas, boise store - they aint cheap though.

definately want a 16....

jig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Don't we all??? Don't think there's hardly anyone at harbour here, that wouldnt like to have a 16GA Superlight in the old battery.

Just a great rendition of a truck gun - bomb proof, bird swattin, serviceable great shooter. actually, they're nicer than that - I love the looks of my Superlight and proudly tote it anywhere. Something very American about them - but with the english straight style stock, a slight continental flair. She's celtic, united, and baby I've decided, she's the warmest thing I've ever found.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

I have to ask. What is the big difference between a low profile vent rib, and a solid rib other than looks? I do know vent ribs are supposed to dissapate heat more efficiently, which does not always matter if you ain't machinegunning the birds. I can think of only one hunting application, hot weather dove hunting.

However, the vent rib is very practical on any gun used on a skeet or other target field in warm weather. Since I shoot my Citori about 100 times as much for skeet as for hunting, I'm happy with it as is. to me, the most important feature of a rib is tyhat it stays on the gun. I've never had a Citori toss a rib. Never even heard of one tossing a rib. Works for me. Wink
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I have to ask. What is the big difference between a low profile vent rib, and a solid rib other than looks? I do know vent ribs are supposed to dissapate heat more efficiently, which does not always matter if you ain't machinegunning the birds. I can think of only one hunting application, hot weather dove hunting.

However, the vent rib is very practical on any gun used on a skeet or other target field in warm weather. Since I shoot my Citori about 100 times as much for skeet as for hunting, I'm happy with it as is. to me, the most important feature of a rib is tyhat it stays on the gun. I've never had a Citori toss a rib. Never even heard of one tossing a rib. Works for me. Wink

well then it works for me...