16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  What's the pressure of factory "low brass" 1 oz. F
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:02 am  Reply with quote

Here is a nice 7/8 oz load. 16gr Unique,R16 wad w/28 ga nitrocard,win 209 primer. I think it is 1190 fps and 8200 psi. Sorry it is for the black Rem hull.
I am trying to find or create a nice 7/8 oz load using Universal clays with the same kind of veocity.
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:28 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
Here is a nice 7/8 oz load. 16gr Unique,R16 wad w/28 ga nitrocard,win 209 primer. I think it is 1190 fps and 8200 psi. Sorry it is for the black Rem hull.
I am trying to find or create a nice 7/8 oz load using Universal clays with the same kind of veocity.

that's OK, I have a ton of those black Rems.... but I don't have any R 16's can I use Rem SP 16 or BP Sprtng 16? How does the nitro card work? Does it take up room in the wad? I have some 1/4 inch 20ga cards...will they work OK? I just need to go buy some more Unique.... I used to use it all the time for 12 bore loads, and Blue Dot for 16, until Longshot came along, thanks to you guys.....

brit

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:33 am  Reply with quote

The nitro card goes in the shot cup to take up space. You can use the SP16 Rem wad it will need more filler. You don't have to use 28 gauge card wad just filler(cereal,pinto beans) anything that adds as little weight as possible. The sporting 16 wad doesn't fit into the Rem hulls without bulging it.
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:09 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
The nitro card goes in the shot cup to take up space. You can use the SP16 Rem wad it will need more filler. You don't have to use 28 gauge card wad just filler(cereal,pinto beans) anything that adds as little weight as possible. The sporting 16 wad doesn't fit into the Rem hulls without bulging it.

thanks, will play around til I get a good fit,

Duncan

DanLee
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:11 am  Reply with quote

You might try placing a 28-gauge .030" overshot card on top of the shot. It flattens out the crimp by preventing the points of the crimp from digging into the shot. I haven't noticed any effect on patterns.

Dan
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:14 am  Reply with quote

DanLee wrote:
You might try placing a 28-gauge .030" overshot card on top of the shot. It flattens out the crimp by preventing the points of the crimp from digging into the shot. I haven't noticed any effect on patterns.

Dan

thanks, will try....

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

britgun wrote:
Larry Brown wrote:
Seems that somewhere along the line, we concluded that of the "big 3" promo loads, the Aussie-made Winchesters were the lowest pressure. Could be wrong on that, because I only shoot them in heavier, more modern guns anyhow, and stick to 7/8 oz reloads or factory low pressure stuff in older, lighter guns.

....so give me a nice, light 7/8 oz recipe using AA or Rem..... I'm half done with the book, and I love it, Larry, it is factual, based on all those years of notes, very informative, without being in the least bit pretentious. I am learning what works when and why and it's backed up by all your hard evidence. It is a very enjoyable read! Tell me please, day in and day out, which gun do you select first to take pheasant hunting, and what are the exact choke constrictions?

Duncan

Duncan, here's about the lowest pressure load I know of, and it's one I had Tom Armbrust run pressure and velocity for me: Winchester Super X Game Load hull (that's from the Aussie-made shells), Win 209 primer, 16 grains Unique, BP G28 wad, 7/8 oz shot. 6900 psi, 1160 fps. You can use a 24 or 28ga card filler, or you can do what I do and drop a couple kernels of Puffed Wheat on top of the shot.

Glad you're enjoying the book! This year, I strayed from the fold (05 too, for the most part) and used a light 12 rather than a 16. I have a pair of them, Scott-made Army & Navy guns, 28" barrels, 6 1/4#. Both are choked 005 in the right barrel. The #1 gun, which I use early season, is 015 in the L. The #2, which I use later on, is 025. I use either Eley Grand Prix or Kent Gamebore Pure Gold, 1 1/16 oz of Brit 6's in the open barrel, my own low pressure reloads of 1 1/8 oz American 6 in the L. I'm always learning more (from the dogs and birds, mostly!), and I've recently come to the determination that going to larger shot and heavier loads for late season birds really doesn't make much sense, in my experience. The birds are either going to be in relatively easy range, mostly pointed, or else they're going to flush out of range. From Dec 1-Jan 10 this season, I didn't have a chance at a rooster that I didn't kill (or should have!) with my open choked R barrel. And looking back to past years, it's pretty much the same story.