16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Looking for O/U
SBFD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

I am looking for a fairly inexpensive 16 ga O/U.
I tried a Dehaan, but am sending it back.
It weighed as much as most of the 12ga's I own.

Any suggestions?
I would like one of the Citori's but don't know where to find one.
nutcase
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

A Verona would be one choice, but I don't know when I last saw one for sale. Another possibility is a Traditions REAL 16. Both would be less than a used sissytori.

JonP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Would a used Daly be an option-didn't they have some nice field grade guns made by Miroku some years back?
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

JonP wrote:
Would a used Daly be an option-didn't they have some nice field grade guns made by Miroku some years back?

I have a nice 20 (relax guys, it's my DAUGHTER'S 20, NOT MINE ok?).... but don't know if they made them in 16.... I don't believe they did...

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

No brainer

MARLIN 90 16GA

Regards Charles
Buckeyechuck
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Dehaan U2, and a Traditions Real 16 Gold both in 16 ga. The Traditions is noticeably the lighter weapon, although I must admit have never weighed either.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

SBFD wrote:

I would like one of the Citori's but don't know where to find one.

You might try online at GunBroker.com or GunsAmerica.com. Or keep watching this forum. Lots of folks do our community a service by posting 16ga guns they find advertised for sale.

But in all honesty, an O\U+lightweight+16ga does not equal 'fairly inexpensive.' You're asking for a lot.

ckirk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

Try Reed's Sporting Goods in Walker, MN (www.reedssports.com) for a new Citori 16 ga. They had 3 left when I ordered mine on Monday (3/12/07).

You can choose from three models: White Lightning, Lightening Feather, and 525.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:54 am  Reply with quote

There are no Miroku made 16 ga. Charles Daly O/U shotguns. they were made only in 12 through .410. The small bores are anything but inexpensive now. You could get a clean used Browning 16 ga. Lightning for the same money.

I'd say put the money in a clean Lightning. You will be much more satisfied and happier with a Browning and money ahead years down the road. Either that or put your order in for one of the BPS 16 ga models and forget about an O/U.

I've bought the cheaper guns in the past. I was never truely happy with any of them. When it came time to trade up, I paid again in low trade value. It must be human nature. Nearly everyone I meet who sees one of my Brownings always say the same things, like someday they will get a Citori, or they wish they'd bought a Browning instead of brand X or, how much do I think they could get for their brand X against a Browning.

Nothing is so satisfying and as valued as a well built gun with a trusted name of obvious quality and heritage. You just feel better having gone the extra money for a gun that is worth it. There just is no substitute.
SBFD
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Well, I took your advice and ordered a Citori Lightning from Reeds.
Looking forward to getting it.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:22 am  Reply with quote

I'm glad to here it. I hope you love your's as much as I do mine. The 16 gauge Citori really is special. Its just the right gauge for the frame size. The gun handles and points like its part of me. It's perhaps, the best balanced hunting model Citori they ever made.
ckirk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:21 am  Reply with quote

SBFD,

The folks from Reeds are great to deal with from my experience. I picked up my White Lightning from the local FFL on Monday and I am pleased. Now, I can't wait to get to the club this weekend to give it a try. The suspense is killing me.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:06 am  Reply with quote

Better check the barrels on that Citori to make sure they're straight. Smile

The Traditions "Real" 16's . . . good enough guns, but if they're lighter than a DeHaan 16 OU, then I sure as heck would not want a DeHaan. Traditions sent me one of their guns, and it weighed about 7 1/4--which goes to show that being built on a 16ga frame isn't the only factor to consider.

If someone's talking "inexpensive" in terms of a few hundred $ rather than mid-teens, then I agree with Charles: shop for a Marlin 90. Pretty good old guns, and they weigh what a 16 should.

But you'll probably be happy with your Citori, as long as the barrels are straight. Smile
SShooterZ
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
But you'll probably be happy with your Citori, as long as the barrels are straight. Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing

If they're not, I bet you could find a nice Rizzini... Twisted Evil
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:47 am  Reply with quote

I agree with you there Larry more that you probably realize. Nice straight round barrels set to shoot to a common point at the correctly specified distance are the heart and soul of any good double gun. It's this feature more than any other, that helps the shooter put the shot on the money when it counts. I check all of them when I'm putting money down. I never take anything as important as that on faith-ever unless I have no choice. Then I must either rely on the dealer to take it back-- not always possible with a new gun purchase. Or, I must rely on the new gun warranty-- not always honestly administered to.

I will say that of all the companies I've dealt with over this issue of straight barrels, Browning alone has had the best and most consistant track record of making a bad gun right. I wish this was a true for the various Rizzini guns among others, but sadly, it ain't so. I've seen too many bad ones from past years still floating around.

Every Browning I've had to send back for barrel or gun replacement to Browning has been done. So far, so good. Therefore, I trust Browning and will buy a new gun from them anytime. Not so with any of the various Rizzini products. If I can't look down those Rizzini tubes, I'm not buying--period.

PS: you should have known this responce was coming back at you. Laughing