16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Parker 16ga.
chrisraxon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

Hi........I'm new here but have been lurking for a few weeks. I look forward to hopefully contributing to this great forum.

I'm looking to purchase a Parker and am looking at a particular gun that I would apprecaite your opinions on. I have requested and received other pics of this gun and seller has been extremely compliant with. I know it's some what a project, but I like the idea of a 16ga. on a O frame. Plus I can do if not all the project work myself. Here is the link:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=67725967
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:33 am  Reply with quote

That gun originally had 30" barrels. I don't think you'll find any choke left after being cut to 26". Picture is to poor to comment on much else.

woodcock hunter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:01 am  Reply with quote

$500.00 would be steep for a project gun without ejectors, cut barrels etc.
Heritage gunworks in Ohio I believe is capable of sleeving the muzzle end of the barrels with choke sleeves if you procede with this and find that you need more choke in the barrels.
With cut barrels you will have more money in the gun than it will ever be worth .
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:12 am  Reply with quote

Don't buy it without barrel wall thickness and inspection by a good barrel man. If the bores are good they were likely honed and that can make it a wallhanger.

Also, the light 16 ga guns are not improved by short barrels, I speak from experience as my 26" VHE would be immeasurably improved by longer barrels....

AND the cutting has altered the balance completely and this gun may have lost the magic handling that the O frame 16's are noted for.

So the negs are, bad recoil pad, cut barrels, (probably) honed out damascus barrels....look elsewhere or proceed with maximum caution.

Jeff
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:37 am  Reply with quote

I'd also recommend against that gun. Even if you're prepared to deal with the Damascus issue--which would mean having it checked over carefully by someone who knows doubles, and shooting either light reloads or light European shells in the gun--it almost certainly has a stock with a ton of drop. That you can't fix yourself, and whether it could be bent up far enough to work for you is probably questionable.