16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Greetings & Question on UP SxS Championships
ckirk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Greetings from the Great White North, eh.

I am new a member of the discussion board and, like you all, a scatter gun enthusiast. I reside in Marquette, MI and I have often admired the 16 ga. from afar. I finally broke free from the herd and bought my first 16 ga. Now, I am waiting with bated breath to receive my new Citori. I really like the 16 ga. Society website. Lots of good information and plenty of people expressing their opinions (that's always fun).

My question is regarding the Upper Peninsula S x S Championship in Sangola, MI. I saw this advertised as a destination for the shooting school folks from Fieldsport, Ltd. Does anyone have information as to the dates, times, and location of this event? Searching the web has revealed little.

Thanks for the hospitality,

Chris
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:56 am  Reply with quote

Here you go : http://www.stsportsmen.com/

I'll be there, this will be my 3rd year. I have a great time.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

Hey welcome to the board. I was stationed at KI Sawyer back in 89 and 90 I remember some awful good grouse hunting up there. I kind of miss that place hope all is well up in the northland. There's a place down near Gwynn called the kataracks. If you know the place it was full of beaver ponds,whitetails and grouse.
ckirk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Dave M.,

Thanks for the information on the SxS Classic. Looks like a great event. I am pretty excited to learn an event like this is so close to home.

Pudelpointer,

Thanks for the welcome and the tip. I have only lived in Marquette for about 18 months so I am pretty green when it comes to knowing the grouse hot spots. I'll definitely be asking some locals where the kataracks are located.

I moved to Marquette from Sault Ste. Marie on the east end of the UP. In the Soo, waterfowling is king. I am trying to adapt to the upland game, but I am a duck nut at heart.

Thanks again.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:25 am  Reply with quote

Chris, you'll enjoy the UP Shoot--very relaxed, lots of nice doubles to admire, quite a few 16's around.
ckirk
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

I am looking forward to the event and getting a chance to see some exceptional SxS scatterguns. I hope they let me in the door with my BSS. It is not fancy, but it is effective.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:25 am  Reply with quote

BSS will work fine. It's a 3-event deal: Sporting Clays, simulated pigeon rings, and a flurry event. You need an ejector gun for the latter--and you'll probably want to recruit someone to load for you. Something on the order of 75 targets in 2 1/2 minutes. Bring a heavy glove to keep from scorching your forward hand.