16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  You Guys Suck!!!!
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

All of you. Especially you (insert your name here)!!

Why do I need another gun? And why would I look at a Sterlingworth?

But you guys with your I brought this, I brought that, rhetoric just sent my blood boiling.

So, here it is: A 1917 16ga. Sterly. I haven't put it on a scale but close to the 6 lb mark. 26" barrels. Ejectors. Case colors at 98%. Barrel Blue at 98%. Wood, flawless, axcept for an aftermarket recoil pad and shiny finish on the stock. The wood appears to be refinished, but the case colors and barrels look original. If they've been redone, they look nreal good. And it's cast "ON" !!!! Did I tell you I'm left handed? The seller wants $2200.00. He seems firm. I didn't check the chokes, but I'm assuming I/M.

Now, talk me into it, or talk me out of it, guys. I won't do anything until I check the chokes, so don't worry about that.

Assuming it's an original gun with a new finish on the stock, is it worth it? Assuming it's a totally refinished gun, is it worth it?

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Better grab it or somebody else will. Wink

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

Oh, and its in a non-original leather takedown hard case.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

What TJC said Wink (Just be sure you get a 3 day return)

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

If the wood has been refinished, it's unlikely the case colors are original.
Still sounds like a decent price if gun is as you say.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

Nah; I wouldn't buy it. Not in a million years. Because once you handle a Fox 16 it'll ruin you for all other guns forever Very Happy ! Next thing you know you'll be on foxcollectors.com showing off your FE grade, and that'll cost you more than most cars and a lot of houses! You've been warned.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
16'er
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Have you ever asked the gentlemen hanging out in front of the package store if you should go inside and buy that $80 bottle of 15 year old scotch?? Laughing Laughing

(couldn't resist, I've been thinking real hard about a sterly myself since the last Fox/LC Smith thread. I think I really NEED a good quality classic american sxs... If the tax season went better I'd be seriosly looking around myself Sad )
sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

Sir - I am offended - "you have a lotta damn gall" to ask me if you should buy said firearm. It is you having a "Suck factor" equaling that of Coors/Bud Lite...

My answer is:

No - you should give me the contact info for the seller without delay, thankyouverymuch!

and

Yes - WTF are you some sort of half-wit? Get it, GET IT NOW! Try it out and sell it to me at a later date because some other gun you can't live without just came on the market!

good luck with your purchase/non-purchase
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

I'm sorry if I offended you.

Actually, I looked at the Fox site (thanks Fin) and will re-examine those case colors when I go back to the store.

If anyone has photos of an original 90-100% Sterly, please post them here.

If its just a clean, non collector, shooter gun, what's it worth? Any one willing to guess?

fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I'm a 28"+ guy myself, but not everybody is; some love the shorter barrels. Think those 26" barrels are original? If they are, the ejectors are a plus (money wise). If the barrels haven't been cut and it's in decent overall condition I'm guessing it's a $2,000 gun in spite of the possible refinish . Add in the $150 case, and you're right there. But I'm one of those guys who won't walk away over a few hundred bucks; if it fits, and it speaks to you, buy it. I'm guessing you'll know. JMHO.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

PGG,

I have a Fox Sterly 16ga all orig in about the condition you describe except that the wood shows honest handling marks and has not been refinished. The bores are immaculate. There is one small blemish on the barrels, rt one I think.

I bought the gun a little over a year ago from Conn Shotgun. I paid a little more than you are looking at, not much. To me it was worth it for a gun in that condition. The CC on mine are great and original.

Soooo, if you like the gun, buy it. They are a great gun to carry and shoot. Wink

I'm toying with the idea of having the chambers lengthened as they are 2 9/16". I just hate screwing with the originality of the gun. Especially since there are a number of short shells available and I don't use the gun that often. Confused

MGF
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:42 pm  Reply with quote

Words, words, words. Follow your 16 gauge Buddha nature ... and then get back to us with pics of your new Sterly!
trust me
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

Location: On the banks of the North Fork of the Kentucky River

So what if it is refinished? If your wife got a face lift that made her look 23 again, would you recoil in horror? Would you put her away as unoriginal?

Buy it, use it, feel good about it.

britgun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

see? See? SEE? It happened to you, too, huh? ha ha ha ha!!! Buy it, send it back if it ain't right, well done, nazi gun man..... limey gun man here has previously fallen...... Very Happy just had to have a little light yank classic, now didn't you?? Laughing

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

Duncan, I blame you!!!

If, after I get it, I'll need help posting pics.