16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Choke Tube Comparision
Ken
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:11 am  Reply with quote

I've been shooting my Citori 16 since Christmas. I love it. Now I want to expand my choke tube selection. I have gotten 2 SK tubes from Trulock. I was wondering If it is worth the price difference to buy extender tubes over the fatory flush tubes?

I've always had a hard time believeing that those little tubes could be very effective. If there is no real benifit in pattern then I would rather spend the difference on shells or reloading supplies.

One more thing. What is everyone thoughts on a CYL choke? Most of the people I talk to seem to think there is no difference between CYL and SK. At close range no difference and the CYL opens too much after 20yrds.
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:03 am  Reply with quote

Ken
I see no difference in pattern with flush/extended tubes. I like the extended tubes on a clays course because I can get my fingers on it and don't need to hassle a tool to change.
I shoot two different guns with cylinder chokes very well. I agree that there are little difference in cylinder and skeet. Remember you can work up lots of good loads that work well in a cylinder choke and any other choke for that matter, if your into that kinda thing. Smile
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

2nd those opinions Very Happy
kgb
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

3rd Very Happy
Ken
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I have extended tubes for my 12ga, most of which I got free-long story. They are great for quick changes. I would like to buy all exteded for the 16 but money is tite. I will probly just buy 1 or 2 over the next few months.
wildweasel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

I got the Trulock extended F, M, Sk2, IC and Sk1 for my Citori 16. They offer more choices than those but I figured those are all I need to shoot birds and clays in just about every situation for me.

They are nice tubes that change easily on a clay course or wherever you need to change them. I already had a 28" bbl in mine and these give another inch of extension but since I never patterned the gun with the tubes, I really don't know for sure. One of these days, I'll get around to it but the tubes are really convenient to have if you use that gun a lot.

Also, if you're a member of the NRA, I think they knock off like 5%.
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

I'll echo wildweasel's comments about the Trulock tubes. I've got a whole set of them with a couple of doubles.
Nice to be able to change them quickly when shooting clays with my Citori Feather. Very Happy

Grousen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:54 pm  Reply with quote

Living in Ohio, I'm forced to hunt preserves alot so that my Brit gets into some birds. I shoot cylinder and skeet tubes on preserve chukars over my Brittany all the time with excellent success. With a close working pointer, and my 16 gauge Lightning Feather, it is generally a close in affair, and those open tubes don't chew up the birds badly at all. I also use cyl/skeet on grouse and the skeet field also. In skeet, the cylinder choke is perfect for the second shot on doubles and station 8.

For pheasants though I seem to need to tighten up the chokes to a skeet/imp. cyl or IC/Mod depending on where I'm hunting or who I'm hunting with. If I have a guest out for the first time over my dog I try to give him the first shots then I just shoot back up. In that case I'll tighten up some more to mod/full.

This 16 gauge is the only choke tube gun I have that I don't have extended chokes for. I've recently left the choke wrench in with my cleaning supplies a couple of times and ended up without it in the field. I was then stuck with whatever chokes I had in the gun last. A senior moment I guess. But it sure has me thinking of getting extendeds for this gun as well. Once you have the extendeds, I doubt that you will use the flush chokes much at all anymore.
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:30 am  Reply with quote

Grousen,

Get the ext Trulocks and you'll never look back at the flush mounted factory tubes again. Wink

Even when I take my Feather out for the occasional walk in the field, I use the ext tubes.

spunky16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:37 am  Reply with quote

Ken, I sent you a PM. jim
Rabbitdog
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:21 am  Reply with quote

I personally do not like the " LOOKS " of extended tubes. Why spend money on an attractive firearm then hang someting from Star Wars out the end ? My trap guns all came with extended tubes. I can't use them
while wearing biFocals. It's distracting. They are nice for quick change but a little planning ahead should help. I have gone to all flush choke tubes from Briley. My Trap and field guns ALL have them now including my A5- 16ga. and my Charles Daly 16ga. O/U. Their thin wall flush tubes do the job.
Carry the tool in your pocket or range bag or a quarter, nickle, or dime will also work in a pinch.....
Good luck;
Rabbitdog