16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  How is Browning USA's Firearm Service?
8mmFan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

Have any of you ever sent an old Auto 5 to Browning Headquarters for service? I have several old ones that need work. These four guns go back to the late 1930's on up to the 50's. One in particular is an old 16 ga (pre-Sweet Sixteen). I am having trouble with "slam-fires" on a 12 gauge, and the 16 gauge does not feed a second shell into the magazine very easily. The 16 gauge was originally 2 9/16", which may have something to do with it but I'm not sure.

I am unhappy with the service from my local gunsmiths, and I'm wondering if Browning proper would be able to overhaul these old A 5's from front to back and fix these issues.

I see on Browning's website that they offer service on their firearms. Can anyone comment on their speed/service/cost? Thanks much. 8mmFan
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff should be along soon but I recall previous recomendations for Midwest Gun Works http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi

SShooterZ
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

I personally have seen work by Art's Gunshop both on older Superposed and A5s and newer Citoris.

His work is superb and I cannot recommend him enough.

http://www.artsgunshop.com/index2.html
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

8mm--factory service is S-L-O-W AND$$$$$$
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

If you send the guns in during the off part of the year, Browning service can be fair to good speedwise. The price depends on what the guns need. However, you pay only once and the job will be done right. They guarantee their work to be perfect, or they make it so at no extra charge including shipping.

I wish all smithes and service stations were that good at Browning prices. I've had work done by "reputable" smithes who always found "something else" they missed if the gun was not right first time up. They never covered their second try for no money and free shipping. Not one. Browning is as dependable as any I've ever used. They are light years ahead of Remington and Winchester. I'd say they are at least on par with Ruger and way better than Beretta too.
jig
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

Its friggin great man!! Cuz I've never had to use it!!!
jig
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

Oh forgot to add - Art is a magician and can make a rough old superposed look and work like new for not much cash.
8mmFan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:09 am  Reply with quote

I will look at those two smiths, and based on 16gaugeGuy's post I will probably send a couple of them to Browning for repair for sure.

Speed isn't as important as getting it done the right way the first time. That would be a radical departure from the guys I've sent work to thus far.

Thanks everyone.
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:16 am  Reply with quote

I have only had to have one Browning Citori repaired. It was a small spring that needed replaced. I did not use the repair facility in Missouri though. There is a gunsmith in Pinkneyville Illinois who is a Browning service rep. The name is Stuart Wright. I had no problems with the service. A friend of mine has a lot of work done there and he has been very happy. The gunsmith has a full machine shop and does quality work. He soes have a web site with prices for certain kinds of work.