16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Crimp problems
lonertoo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

I'm having a real problem with loading 16ga! I'm using Fiocchi new primed hulls & also once fired Winchester super x game loads (Cheddite). The problem I'm having is after I get the powder, wads & shot in the hulls, I still have approx 3/4" space at the top of the hull open. When I crimp them the final crimp is dished almost to the top of the shot leaving a huge hole. I'm using 19.5 to 20.5 gr. of unique, a BP SG16 wad & have also tried an SP16 wad. I've tried a pinto bean under the shot & on top of the shot before the crimp. I'm using a mec 600JR. I load 20ga on another Mec without any problems!!!!!!!! I hope someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong!!! It's driving me crazy!!!! Confused Confused Confused Question Question
lonertoo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

lonertoo wrote:
I'm having a real problem with loading 16ga! I'm using Fiocchi new primed hulls & also once fired Winchester super x game loads (Cheddite). The problem I'm having is after I get the powder, wads & shot in the hulls, I still have approx 3/4" space at the top of the hull open. When I crimp them the final crimp is dished almost to the top of the shot leaving a huge hole. I'm using 19.5 to 20.5 gr. of unique, a BP SG16 wad & have also tried an SP16 wad. I've tried a pinto bean under the shot & on top of the shot before the crimp. I'm using a mec 600JR. I load 20ga on another Mec without any problems!!!!!!!! I hope someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong!!! It's driving me crazy!!!! Confused Confused Confused Question Question

I forgot to mention I'm using 1oz of #8 shot
jim18611865
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

When all else fails call MEC and they will walk you right through the problem.
From the question I think you are saying the hull is still not filled enough?
Dished in not out I assume?
Fiocchi's are usually 67mm ie 2 5/8".
You may have to lower your crimp start. If that doesn't work, lower the cam a little(very little).

Did you actually measure the 1 oz. of shot??
lonertoo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

That's exactly right jim. The case is not nearly filled enough so the crimps are consequently dished waaaaay in! Dave
jim18611865
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:15 am  Reply with quote

I had all kinds of trouble w/ any 16 ga. until I started using overshot cards.
I loaded the Fiocchi's w/ the sg-16 wad a little less than 1 oz. and 18 gns. Univ. No fillers, but a spreader installed. Mine were not dished at all, but I did have the big hole I couldn't seem to close, I think because of the length of the hull. These hulls were the blue ones from Ballistic Prod. 67 mm.
I would be glad to send you a handful to see if it cures your problem, or just make a few out of thick paper.
Be sure you are measuring the powder and the shot so you are sure what is going in there.
I got rid of my Mec 600 and switched to a 8567 grabber, but nothing really changed for me.
Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

The problem is that the fiocchi hulls are large capacity hulls. some guys trim the hulls down, some use puffed wheat as a filler on top of the shot, still others use a 20 gauge felt pad under the shot inside of the shot cup. An other recipie may work better if it has a powder that takes up more room.
Other hulls have less capacity and there for don't need the fillers or hull trimed. hulls like old winchester aa's and the remingtion sts.
ben
birddog
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Guys,
If you are using a mec loader, you problaby don't have the final crimp die adjusted properly. And the starter crimp die that works best for me is the BP brass starter die with .050" washer to get correct start on crimp. When all else fails call the guys at mec and they will set you straight. Good Luck
Charlie
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Read your reloaders manual carefully on adjusting the cam. I use this same hull with the sg16 wad and 1 oz. of shot. I still need a little bit of filler, but after fiddling with the cam I get really nice crimps using the crimp starter that came with the press.

Matt
lonertoo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:32 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm gonna continue to fool around with it & thanks to jim18611865 who is sending me a sampling of filler cards to try, I will get it figured out!
03 Guy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:24 am  Reply with quote

This link on BP's sight gives some insight to the MEC crimping station. It may help?

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi/articleindex/articles/mecadjust/mecadj.htm