16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Can't believe I did it again ...
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Disclaimer/warning: This post is only partially 16 gauge related.

Due to a good tax return, a little cash on hand and some trading, I recently acquired the 16gauge Verona advertised on our board by Terry S. I also bought a new 20 gauge Caesar Guerini Magnus "Grouse" in 20 gauge ... 28" barrels, POW grip.

Got both to the club Sunday ... perfect function and they busted 'em just dandy when I did my work. Both are good shooters. May get a thinner pad or a bit taken off the Verona stock, but she's a keeper. Definitely a win/win transaction between Terry and me. And All I can say about the CG is that I think I'm in love. A gorgeous little gun that comes up and swings like someone made it just for me. Very Happy

So, Monday I go to the shop to pick up another flat of 20s, a new case and few little odds and ends. You can guess what happened. Got those things and, foolishly enough, wandered into their version of the fine gun room. They had a Model 42 in nice shape for $800. I put $200 down and will pick it up next payday.

Boy, my brother's eyes are going to pop Shocked the next time we meet up for some pasture trap and I pull out three "new" guns for us to work out. I hope my nephew comes. I haven't pump-gunned in years, and the little bugger (about 17 now) can really shuck 'em. I may need tips! Laughing

So, until then, I"ll be stocking up shells like that madman TJC. Wink

OMG, now I've got five gauges to feed. Dam*it, I'm already in one 12-twelve group and may have to find another. "Hi, my name's Mark, and I've got a problem with quality shotguns."

The other thing I've noticed, besides the alarming rate at which my addiction is growing, is that my 12s are becoming safe queens. Laughing
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:05 pm  Reply with quote

....and another one bites the dust... Very Happy ....smitten by the 16 bug....

Grousen
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:14 pm  Reply with quote

MGF,
I completely understand. Just three weeks ago I shot sporting clays with one of my 16 ga. Ithaca 37R's. I had SO MUCH FUN with it, it got me to thinking of picking up a pump .410 for some of the vintage skeet shoots. Yep, you guessed it, there's now another .410 in the safe, and God forbid if the wife finds it!!!

So far in just this year, I've picked up another 16 ga. 37R (made in 1950), a 20 gauge 37 (made in 1939), and now this BPS .410. I've run out of room in the gun safe, and am having trouble hiding them from the Gestapo!
And that's not counting another 37 that's on the way, an unfired 1976 Bicentennial model.

By the way, I just bought a copy of Walt Snyder's book on the Ithaca 37, and it is a very interesting read. Found out my 20 gauge 37 was made in the first year that Ithaca made the 20's (1939). Thought that was kinda cool. Now if I could just find a 20 ga. 37R made before 1955. Anybody out there now of a decent one that's available?

Speaking of 12 steps, that's about the head start I'll need when the wife finds out, which she always does!! My only saving grace is that I have never said no to anything she has wanted either. Just last week she had to have a Kirby vacuum. Heck, I could have had another gun safe for what that cost!!! Now if I could only teach her how to reload.
rizzini 16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:36 am  Reply with quote

My friends: We're pretty much all at that age where we have to ask ourselves(when considering a new/old gun) If not Me, Who? If not now, When? This amounts to a nice "guilt away" type spray I use regularly....
My wife's fairly compatible as long as i throw out the occasional Emerald., for distraction purposes....When I show her a new purchase, like an excited kid, she says..
"It looks just like the other one...."

MGF
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:57 am  Reply with quote

rizzini 16 wrote:
My friends: We're pretty much all at that age where we have to ask ourselves(when considering a new/old gun) If not Me, Who? If not now, When? This amounts to a nice "guilt away" type spray I use regularly...."

You nearly read my mind rizzini 16! I was fondling that Model 42 and thinking, "Why don't I deserve a classic? Do I not work hard. Can I not afford it?" Do I have wee ones at home going without or bills that are going unpaid?"

I pick it up Friday.Smile

Naturally, I'll need a couple flats of .410s. My dealer is loving me right now, I can tell you that. He knew he was putting the hook into the mouth for further purchases. But, what the hell, I bit willingly. Wink
rizzini 16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

The Model 42 is such a classic and your price seems agood one. I know guys who'll gladly pay more as this was a really famous skeet model in it's day-still is. Last fall I couldn't resist a Remington 870 pump .410 I stumbled over at a gun show....98% condition, priced at 5 bills- it's way fun to shoot, if i could just remember to "shauck it !"-which my shooter pals are happy to yell in unison as I let the low house double fly by unscathed....! Must be a learning curve.

Good luck and don't get too carried away, or the MEC will be next!!
Rizz 16

MGF
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:53 pm  Reply with quote

rizzini 16 wrote:
Good luck and don't get too carried away, or the MEC will be next!!Rizz 16

God, I hope not. The apartment's a bit on the small side. My gun safe's already in the kitchen and the linen closet is full of shells. If I start reloading, I'll have to give away the kitchen table and put in a reloading bench. Then again, I'm not much of a cook, anyway. Laughing
nossman
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Congrats on the 'new' guns! I love that 16ga Verona of mine!
I'll be at the range with her tomorrow!
MGF
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:44 am  Reply with quote

Cool beans, nossman. I'm meeting my brother and nephew Sunday afternoon for some pasture trap. Looks like the nephew is bringing a couple friends who want to try out the shotgunnging thing. I'll probably end up doing more supervising than shooting, but I'll take the new guns along and get a few shots in. Taking four flats (a .410, two 20s and a 16) as my contribution to the cause. Have a great day at the range, my friend.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

MGF---I will buy those little empty hulls from you----If they are STS's Wink
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

MGF wrote:
[So, until then, I"ll be stocking up shells like that madman TJC. Wink:

MGF, just leave some of those 16ga shells out there. Never know when I might start running low. Trap shooting is starting up again. Wink

MGF
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:58 pm  Reply with quote

Hell, HOA, I'd give you the little buggers, but I just bought Estates. Was a bargain-seeking week on shells, given what I've spent on guns lately. Ended up buying some Estates, PMCs, Federal Top Guns and Rem 16 GLs.

No worries, TJC, I'll just look to wipe clean the 16 gauge shelves in northeast Illinois and northwest Indiana. Smile Will try not to encroach down Wolfchief's way, either.

Man, the linen closet's already fulll of 28s, 16s and 12s. I'm having to stash the 20s and .410s under the coffee table.
WVBob
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:20 am  Reply with quote

MGF - What's wrong with that?

JT
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:28 am  Reply with quote

Having shells stashed all over the house sounds familiar....I have got to organize someof this better. Not to mention the empty hulls in the crawl space. And now there might be a guy in Illinois wanting to give away his empty hulls Question Laughing

JT
MGF
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:11 am  Reply with quote

WVBob, nothing at all. If had room for the bench and storing the components, I'd get into reloading. As it is now, I have a small, fairly cheap apartment that's very close to work ... so I can afford more guns and shells. Do I spend more on a bigger place and more gas for the commute, but have less cash for guns and shells? It's all a puzzler. Confused

JT: You've got hulls in the crawl space and are looking for more? Man, I thought I have a bad addiction. However, I promise if we ever shoot together, you can have my hulls. It's good to have company in "misery." Wink