16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  ANIB Citori Field 28"
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:19 am  Reply with quote

The last goose I ever ate was done teriaki style, marinated, then broiled in slices on a stick over low coals. The stick was delicious. Laughing
rudyc
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:22 am  Reply with quote

A pal of mine lives west of Devils Lake ND, in the heart of Snow & Blue Goose country. I once asked him what they tasted like, because the only ones I was familiar with were Canadian geese and they can let you down in the taste department once in a while. He replied "they taste like flying liver"
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:43 am  Reply with quote

Geez, that might give liver a bad name. Rolling Eyes Laughing . I'm not partial to most liver. However, deer liver is very good if cooked right. I vein a portion, slice it up into 1/4 inch thick slabs, dredge it in seasoned flour, and lightly fry it in smoking hot bacon fat with sauteed onions. I don't cook it much either, Just a light brown on both sides real quick. It has to be deep red inside or its too done for me. Served with the onions and bacon, its quite a meal for a hungry hunter.

Over done liver is the reason I can't stand most of it. I also don't trust store bought liver. God only knows how long its been there. Fresh deer liver out of a healthy, cleanly killed animal is a very safe bet. Same for elk, moose, or any wild herbivore that is obviously healthy except sheep. Liver flukes I'm told. Never seen it in deer. Never seen it in sheep either, but then again, I've never eaten wild sheep. Don't 'spect I ever will either.

I also prefer my venison chops fried just crispy outside with onions. Red inside for me here too. No gamy taste this way. Yum!!
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:55 am  Reply with quote

I like a nice fresh killed venison heart done up in olive oil with fried onions and a fresh Italian roll, but you can keep the liver. YUK!

Last edited by TJC on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total

britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:31 am  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
That sounds great brit. To this day the best goose I ever cooked was about 10 years ago. It was a single my brother took while walking through a corn field lookin for roosters - a lucky poke. He doesnt really like goose as much as I do so he gave it to me. When I got home I plucked that thing and through it in giant stell pot full of red wine (cheap) and salt. Then, soaked in that for 1 1/2 days. Removed it, patted dry inside and out. Salted and peppered inside and out. Then I cut up some celery, onion, carrots and mixed that all up in a bowl with some herbs and seasoning and stuffef it into the goose. Through it in the oven at about 325 degrees for about 2 hours or so, then blasted it at about 450 for the last ten minutes to get it nice and brown (I know I shoulda browned it in a pan first, but didnt know that back then cux there was no food channel). After the goose was done, I drained the drippings into a pan and added a bit of redwine, chicken broth. seasoning and butter, reduced that down some until the right thickness. Served up that goose for my wife and and I with some mashed potatoes with that gravy on them, as well as the sliced goose meat. Oh man!!! let me tell you. that goose was to die for. It was so good I save a portion for my brother who said it was the best meat of any kind he ever ate. I have to agree, getting hungry just thinking about it. I have heard some similar methods to what you shared with very good reports - I will try your method next fall.Thanks.

THAT sounds good....medium to medium rare is the secret.... it's the difference between something like filet mignon and a livery old boot (if cooked well done)... works on ducks, too (puddle ducks...iIstill can't do divers, except for cans and redheads, and that's like every 5 years or so I get one...)

jig
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:34 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, I can't do divers either. The puddles ducks that feed almost exclusively on corn in Eastern Washington are the best ducks I've had -and they are durn good. In fact, when they are good they're real good, and when bad -real bad. Seems to be the way duck is for me. That said, if given a choice between a real tasty duck and anything else, I'd take the duck more times than not over other bird. Some of the very excellent ducks I've had would have been good no matter how badly you tried to ruin them. Conversely, rank (or bad) ducks seem to resist all attempt to rid them of the old liver/gamey taste and sometimes is almost sickening. There have been many times in my life where after cooking, it was straight to the garbage after a couple bites. Hate it when that happens. I know some hard core duck hunters that have spent their lives figuring out different techniques to make bad ducks taste good -but sometimes even they can't do it.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:23 am  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
Yeah, I can't do divers either. The puddles ducks that feed almost exclusively on corn in Eastern Washington are the best ducks I've had -and they are durn good. In fact, when they are good they're real good, and when bad -real bad. Seems to be the way duck is for me. That said, if given a choice between a real tasty duck and anything else, I'd take the duck more times than not over other bird. Some of the very excellent ducks I've had would have been good no matter how badly you tried to ruin them. Conversely, rank (or bad) ducks seem to resist all attempt to rid them of the old liver/gamey taste and sometimes is almost sickening. There have been many times in my life where after cooking, it was straight to the garbage after a couple bites. Hate it when that happens. I know some hard core duck hunters that have spent their lives figuring out different techniques to make bad ducks taste good -but sometimes even they can't do it.

yes, I agree, if medium rare doesn't do it, it has to pitched.... I used to pluck, marinade, yada yada, now it's just either butter fried or grilled filleted breast, liberally salted and peppered, and served up rare....it is like 2 totally different critters.... overdone is like crap, rare is as good as steak....

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:20 am  Reply with quote

What about "Sam and Ella" the couple who come to dinner and stay for a week or more. I'm not too sure about eating waterfowl rare. I know you can't do it with turtles, frogs, and any ground fowl like pheasant or quail, not unless you have real good medical insurance and a week of vacation time saved up to spend on and around the toilet. I've been warned that any waterfowl or bird can have it.--or am I wrong here?

Never have heard of it with freshly killed, and proberly handeld deer liver or venison though. ( I suppose contamination from another source is always a possiblitiy. )
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:31 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
What about "Sam and Ella" the couple who come to dinner and stay for a week or more. I'm not too sure about eating waterfowl rare. I know you can't do it with turtles, frogs, and any ground fowl like pheasant or quail, not unless you have real good medical insurance and a week of vacation time saved up to spend on and around the toilet. I've been warned that any waterfowl or bird can have it.--or am I wrong here?

Never have heard of it with freshly killed, and proberly handeld deer liver or venison though. ( I suppose contamination from another source is always a possiblitiy. )

Well, I have never gotten the squirts from medium rare waterfowl that has hung for 2 weeks, I think that once the meat reaches certain temperatures, even though it doesn't stay at those temps long enough to turn it a ghastly livery brown hue, the bad stuff dies...... I'm not a doc or scientist, but I believe this to be true, and I've fed it to my family for years and they are healthy, strapping individuals with cast iron guts... I think about all the stuff I've eaten in Africa cooked out in the bush....give me garage hung rare duck anyday over that dicey African local fare..... I always have to dip into the Immodium at least once on those trips...

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:57 am  Reply with quote

We should ask Rev Doc, he'd know. Hey Rev, what say you here?
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

This post began as a gun for sale. Not a recipe page. I am all for the recipes, but lets not forget the gun for sale.

I know that I am guilty also, and I apologise.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

perhaps a moderator could move the recipe bits to the appropriate forum/topic...
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
This post began as a gun for sale. Not a recipe page. I am all for the recipes, but lets not forget the gun for sale.

I know that I am guilty also, and I apologise.

...just a bunch of free floatin ADD rabbit trailin' bird eaters, I guess.... heck, I THINK I might even have been the feller what posted it....

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:36 am  Reply with quote

Hey, Geez, lighten up!!! Laughing This one was about a gun for sale somewhere off somewhere else and not anybody's particular business here. No harm, no foul!! Besides, it's been fun. So hey, why start acting like a bunch of old poops? Rolling Eyes Laughing Sheesh.!!! PGG, I suggest you pour another shnops and relax, put your feet up, and let it flow man--just chill bro. Laughing