16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 ga Model 21 arrived today....back it goes.....
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:17 am  Reply with quote

....hey everybody, I need to apologize for bashing Galazan's and even mentioning where I did that deal. I was wrong. Sorry. I'm glad others have had good experiences. I let my disappointment and letdown get the better of me and I shot my mouth off. After sleeping on it, I realize it was small of me to mention their name. I feel it was OK to share with you all what happened to me, however, but I need to clear the air regarding my disclosure of the dealer.

I appreciate all of you very much.

Duncan

txshootist
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Duncan,

Sorry to hear the bad news. I, too, think they should reimburse shipping both ways. As I see it, a gross oversight like what you have described is inexcusable, whether it is 1 in 1000 or 1 in a million. Full dispensation would be a small price for them to pay to preserve their reputation.

Marc
J.B.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:09 am  Reply with quote

Duncan, You have no reason to apologize for sharing your experience with a dealer. Why is it alright for someone to share a good experience but wrong to share a bad one?
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:13 am  Reply with quote

Duncan, sorry to hear about that. Only deal I ever did with Galazan's was years ago, for a couple relative cheapies, and it worked out OK. But untouched does not equal a gun in the condition you describe.

For those of you that don't know, Duncan was in the gun business for quite some time himself, and he was one dealer who had a solid reputation as a straight shooter. Charlie, his successor at Hill Rod & Gun, has a similar reputation. Never bought from either one of them, but the feedback both from people I know personally and on the Net was really solid. Certainly would not have hesitated with Duncan, and would not hesitate with Charlie.

Sometimes I think what happens is that dealers get too big, things start to slip a little. Nothing wrong with big, if you've got a solid company policy of customer satisfaction, like Bean or Cabela's or Scheel's. But especially with the Internet, one or two bad deals can have a pretty serious ripple impact within the fairly small community that comprises the doublegun world.
SShooterZ
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:23 am  Reply with quote

Wow! I was just looking through their site and had to wipe the drool off my face. Shocked
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:29 am  Reply with quote

Britgun, you probably already know where I stand--squarely in consumer's corner. I'd have been disappointed if you did not report this travesty as it happened. Frankly we've all heard too damned much of the "ain't it wonderful" or the "its only a small blemish after all" kind of crap from too many folks who should know better. too many of them hang a paycheck on not making waves too. It's why big, well known dealers and gun manufactures start feeling a bit invincible and why quality and honesty take a hike.

I say let them all earn our trust and trade with excellent products at decent prices. If they can't hack it, then to hell with them. Why should any of us trust any company that has been getting a questionable track record over the past couple of years. If they've broken faith with their customers in the past and not recitified that breach with a worthy effort to make things right, then let them feel the heat and make them walk that hard road back into our good graces. Compassion and forgiveness should be freely given, but trust has to be earned the hard way.

I think you did us all a good turn and I personally thank you. Now, I'm on alert with these folks as I should be.
jig
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:33 am  Reply with quote

Brit-Galazans just lost my business! Bad things is; They were saved to "my favorites" on my computer because I enjoyed perusing their inventory and thought they were one of the highest quality purveyors of steel & wood.
I have yet to buy a gun off the internet - and this is why. Although I have come very close, I've never actually done it -too paranoid. Oh, I've sold more than 20 or so guns on the internet over the years without one problem. But, I just can't get myself to buy a gun without handling it first. Iknow, I know 3-day rights and all....but I just can't. Even the guns I've bought/traded in person over my lifetime seemed to reqquire my presence which looms large in my world of paranoia. I would however, buy a gun from some folks on the site-without worry. I am very honest and willing to strike a win-win deal every time i've the mind to barter. You are the same. In a way, it is sad you still arent in business, because I wouldve considered you at this point to be the only outfit I woud have purchase "online" from. GALAZANS -oh the shame!!!!!
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:59 am  Reply with quote

jig-perhaps you could be over re-acting?

britgun-let us hear about the resolution of your problem, that will be the true measure.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Jig, that ain't paranoia, its common sense and wisdom earned over time from a few bad experiences I'll wager. However, I will say, that most of the private folks I've done business with over the phone or on the internet have been very honest with few exceptions.

Sadly enough, this is not necessarily true with gunshops and larger firms with supposedly excellent records. However, there we are dealing with a professional sales person in these cases. Their job is to sell and then make excuses or amends. I'm finally getting this through my thick skull. Bottom line, never trust a sales person unless you can see his lips moving and you can eyeball the article for sale right there in front of god and everybody. Get an ironclad, satisfaction gaurantee or money back agreement--in writing if you think it necessary. Otherwise, we are on our own.

The few private sellers that gave me the vague answer to my perfectly clear questions did not get my business. Nor did the few hotheads that acted like I was kicking their puppy by asking. These guys are the very ones who will burn you at the drop of a hat. If the person you are talking with is not a patient, open, and friendly person with clean clear answers to solid reasonable questions, then he's trouble--period.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:17 am  Reply with quote

For someone like Galazan to describe the gun as original, untouched and then have it show up with a bulged barrel and the other issues is inexcusable! I will be holding my judgement, however, I will be following their website to see if they relist the gun in the same condition!

Matt
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:32 am  Reply with quote

Don't be too shocked if they do. Cabela's pulled the same stunt with a gun I sent back a few years ago. It was listed as 99%, and was priced to get every penny and then some for such a clean gun. It wasn't even close. They refused to make it right either, dispite what has been said to the contrary here. It was back on the list a month later at the same 99%. I did get a refund for the purchase price, but paid the shipping both ways. This is called leverage in professional terms. they were hoping I'd just keep it. I didn't. The next guy that got suckered probably did. And so it goes.

Like I said, sales people are paid to sell, not tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. That does not always happen even under oath in a court of law-especially when a job might be at stake. That's just life in the real world.
jig
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:55 am  Reply with quote

Britgun-I'm sure you have your reasons for cutting them slack as you tossed and turned and let your frustration get best of you. But I also bet that at least part of it is fear of retribution -until you get your money back. I don't blame you. But I won't forgive this mistake regardles whether you do. I never really wanted to buy a gun from that far away anyway.

Hope they step up in the end. Youre a victim of what I referr to as "the pawnbroker mentality". Oh, its out there everywhere -no doubt.

I will always over-react to this type of thing because it shouldnt happen - period. Of course, you gotta wonder; Who's minding the store?
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:02 am  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:09 am  Reply with quote

Here! Here!
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

You may draw your own conclusions, obviously; but the incident could well be the result of something besides an intent to defraud and shouldn't be construed as an indictment against the business owner, especially since there is no indication of a trend or pattern of this type behavior.

I deal daily with very large companies--and stupid, odd, or unexplainable things can and do happen.

Honest errors can happen--even with the best companies. And they scramble to undo the damage done.

I suspect the object in question can be returned for full credit.