16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  How many 16'ers also have a 28GA???
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:28 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
The recoil issue is why I like my 16 ga guns at least 6 pounds or more up to 6-3/4 pounds. My 28 inch Citori guns are all about the 6-3/4 pound weight. I can point and swing them both quickly and smoothly enough to hit any bird going. They also do not kick me cross eyed. Well balanced, sweet handling and docile enough to shoot well all around is how I see them. Whats not to like.

If I was a day in-day out clays shooter, I agree, I think I'd move up in weight (and as I do plan to shoot a few more clays in the future, I am thinking this LC Smith at around 6 3/4 will work great for it!!) In the field, however, the light stuff is what I'm used to, and I never even begin to notice recoil.....

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:45 am  Reply with quote

That is true for most upland situations BG. However, I can remember a few long days in the dove fields in the South where recoil could be a very real factor. I ended up with a 28 for duty there with entirely good results. I did not own a 16 back then. I don't think I could make it through a long day of pass shooting with a sub 6 pound, 16 gauge and even 7/8 ounce loads.

However, for an average pheasant, grouse, quail, snipe, whast have you outing, recoil is not a factor, even with an occasional long range thumper for ammo.

But in truth, I would not be a good game shot without lots of practice on the skeet and trap fields. Here, recoil is a very real problem. A acquired flinch helps no one shoot well. Plus, I shoot the best on game with guns I shoot a lot. So, my reasoning is based entirely on what works best for me. I'm basically a pragmatist in this respect.

However, I fault no one for following his own drummer here. Use what suits you to your own best advantage. Nobody is going to pull the trigger for you or take the blow on the shoulder and cheek either. It's a most personal thing, this business of which gun and load we choose. As long as the bird is cleanly and quickly killed, that is the most important aspect of hunting.
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
That is true for most upland situations BG. However, I can remember a few long days in the dove fields in the South where recoil could be a very real factor. I ended up with a 28 for duty there with entirely good results. I did not own a 16 back then. I don't think I could make it through a long day of pass shooting with a sub 6 pound, 16 gauge and even 7/8 ounce loads.

However, for an average pheasant, grouse, quail, snipe, whast have you outing, recoil is not a factor, even with an occasional long range thumper for ammo.

But in truth, I would not be a good game shot without lots of practice on the skeet and trap fields. Here, recoil is a very real problem. A acquired flinch helps no one shoot well. Plus, I shoot the best on game with guns I shoot a lot. So, my reasoning is based entirely on what works best for me. I'm basically a pragmatist in this respect.

However, I fault no one for following his own drummer here. Use what suits you to your own best advantage. Nobody is going to pull the trigger for you or take the blow on the shoulder and cheek either. It's a most personal thing, this business of which gun and load we choose. As long as the bird is cleanly and quickly killed, that is the most important aspect of hunting.

Wholeheartedly agreed!!