16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Gun report/wonderful weekends
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:56 am  Reply with quote

A report on the three guns from my recent little buying spree, including a 16, of course:

Verona (FAIR) LX 501 16 ga.: Shoots straight -- barrels must be fine Wink, no problems hitting at low gun-skeet at the club last weekend and some pasture trap from my bro's Trius One-Step thrower this weekend. Chokes interchange with my Model 900 FAIR. Gun is definitely a little long for me, though. Had to shoot it mounted on Sunday to make my doubles. Off to the stocksmith for a thinner pad or to have an 1/8" or so taken off. He's a pretty good gunfitter and a fine craftsman, so I'm not worried about it at all. A good gun for a very reasonable price.

Caesar Guerini 20 gauge Magnus Grouse: Big ol' perma-grin after two Sundays out with it. Beautiful, light, lively and am absolutely smokin' 'em wit this little lovely. My bro shot with equally good results. After he put a box through it and kept admiring it during a break, I had to remind him there would not be any mixups in casing our guns at the end of the day. Laughing Not an inexpensive gun, but worth every dollar. The "looker" of my safe now, and she shoots just as good as she looks. She'll be no safe queen, though...just too much fun in the gun.

Winchester Model 42 (fixed full choke): Paid the balance on the lawaway on Thursday and picked her up on Friday (lllinois resident; 24-hour mandatory wait) This one was the surprise of the day on Sunday! I'd always steered clear of .410s 'cause I didn't want to embarrass myself with the those little-cigar-size shells. Holy crap, it turns out I'm a decent shot! Razz I know pasture trap from an inexpensive machine is no real test of a gunner, but did I ever have a ball with that little gun. Smoked my first bunch of singles, and got brave and ask for some doubles ... and broke em!?! Surprised Now I understand why the 42 is an American Classic. Not only is she a sleek little thing, but she's a shooter. Maybe God wanted me to have a Model 42 while I was still age 42.Laughing What fun! The only downside ... now I've a new addiction and another gauge to feed. Oh, well, the the things life forces you to cope with. Wink

Good shooting to you all.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:55 am  Reply with quote

Good report and congratulations on three keepers!! Very Happy

SShooterZ
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Great report and congrats on the guns!

I've watched for a M42 for sometime, just haven't "pulled the trigger" yet. Smile
nossman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like a good day!

I had my Verona out on Saturday, smashing some clays. Twisted Evil
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:44 am  Reply with quote

I shot skeet last weekend. The first two rounds with my 16 ga Citori. Shot a 22 and 21. I then switched to my Citori 20 ga and shot 17. Don't know what happened. Maybe it was because I used cylinder bore with the 16 and skeet chokes with the 20. Couldn't be that simple.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:29 am  Reply with quote

In my case, its usually the loose nut on the trigger. Very Happy