16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  gualandi wad confirmation...
bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I have placed many an order with Grafs for 1000 to 5000 (their number GU1621B) 16 ga gualandi wads. I shoot about 5-6000 of these per year Very Happy

However, I back-ordered some last October and they have not shown up and now I've been told that "Gulandi's don't sell to well - they just sit around" by Grafs. Confused Rolling Eyes

My guess is I now have 2500 paper hulls coming from Grafs and few (less than 1000 GU1621B) wads to use in them... Mad

So, I'm in the market for some gualandi 16 ga wads and since I'm not too overly fond of Ballistic Products and their prices I think I am going to Precision Reloading for the next 5000.

Here is my quesion since Precision Reloading carries TWO gualandi 16 ga wads (and I would prefer not to fool around and order one and find out I need the other Confused ):

Which of these wads at Precision Reloading - either the TUWG2116 which is called a "midi" or TUWG1816 which is called a "mini" - is the same as the SG16 at Ballistic Products or the GU1621B at Grafs Question Question Question Question

TYIA for the help Rolling Eyes you would think all storefronts would use the same coding....

Dr. 16 Gauge
mdoerner
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

The 21 mm wad (TU2116) is the SG16, and the 18 mm (TU1816) is the same as the old Activ G-28 16 Gauge wad. Hope that helps. The Graf wad you mentioned is also the same (21 mm) as the SG16.

Also, the 21 mm wad has a series of "fingers" in the bottom of the gas seal (like the SG16 you've seen) while the G-28 has "tabs" (for the lack of a better word) in the bottom of the gas seal. FWIW.

Mike Doerner
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:55 am  Reply with quote

Just a suggestion Doc. For those of you who use these wads, perhaps you might get together and order them in quantity from Graf's like us R-16 fans did through Recob's. That way, the wads are a gauranteed sell. If it's worked once...
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:53 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdoerner
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:02 am  Reply with quote

If you put the wads side by side, you'll see the G28 is a few mm shorter than the SG16.

Mike Doerner
old16
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:09 am  Reply with quote

Well guys for what its worth I read one time the wad for the Active that has the T looking things on the end is so not to take up as much space over the powder when compressed. This is how they get the 1-1/8 oz of shot in the hull.
On the other wad all the pins at the end of the cup in to take up more volume in the powder so no fillers are needed for the 7/8 and 1oz load.

I still have some of the old Active's and the wads. I also could not find any difference in dimensions.

mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:53 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdoerner
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:06 am  Reply with quote

That's weird. When I stack mine side-by-side there a 3mm difference in height. Maybe the wad has been redesigned bu Guliani? Or someone ordered the wrong one at the distributor? Dunno.

Mike Doerner
bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:33 am  Reply with quote

Hey Mike C.

You got me for sure Confused . I was looking at paper invoices last night (avoiding real paperwork) before I sent out my post and the last ballistic product price I had came in higher than the precision reloading. I just checked bp out online and for sure I can get 5000 sg16s for 132.25 plus shipping! thanks.....

Any thoughts from you all (Russ and Mike D.) about how well the gualandi wad will work in the paper hulls. My current 1 ounce load is:

cheddite hull
nobel sport primer
gualandi wad
1 oz 8s or 7.5s
15.3 grains green dot

(use at your own risk Wink )

and I was hoping to just migrate over to the paper hulls with same or similar recipe Question Question Question

Dr. 16 Gauge
mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
RWG
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

Mike:

The G28/1816 is designed to sit lower on the powder charge than the SG-16 (with its fingers). How much lower is up to debate. Best way to determine it is to load two identical hulls with identical powder charges and measure the distance from the rim of the hull to the base of the shot cup. By sitting lower on the powder charge the G28/1816 can be loaded with 1/8th oz more of pellets than the SG-16.

bustingclays--I have not loaded cheddite paper hulls in 16s, but I have used galuandi 12 ga. wads in kemen and gamebore 12 ga. paper hulls with good success. I also use Windjammer wads in these hulls. Russ
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:21 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

RWG
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

Looking forward to reading the results of your test. Which recipe did you choose?
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

Mike:

I've dropped down to 3/4 ounce loads and the gualandi 20 ga wad in the remington black hull with remington primer and 13.2 grains green dot. Works really well for me, but use at your own risk...

Dr. 16 Gauge