16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  rem sp wads - narrow?
rizzini 16
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:36 am  Reply with quote

Loadie Friends:
Help. I have always used the BPsg16 (or gualandi) 1 oz. wads with good success, but they are a bit tight in most hulls I load. So, thought I'd try some Rem sp16's. The Rems, with calipers, are a good deal narrower I see. Won't start using them til I know more. I thought they's slide in like butter to the Fed, RemSP and BP hulls I load but they nearly fell in!-can't understand how i am am going to get any reasonable gas seal with the Rem wad, though it "seemed like a good idea". In the BP greenie hull, the Rem wad is so loose you can feel it sliding back and forth in there, if you shake an empty hull!

Please fill me in.

mdoerner
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:00 am  Reply with quote

You'll be fine. The skirt expands as the gas builds up behind the wad. Some people complain about fine ball of flake powders migrating past the wad, but good compression on the wad while loading should minimize this.

Mike Doerner
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:59 am  Reply with quote

Most disc type and square cut flake powders will work well, especially for light weight and easy shooting recreational loads without migration problems. For hi speed ball powder hunting loads with HS6, HS7, Winchester 571, and Longshot, use a 1-1/8 inch square of heavy lawn and garden plastic bag under and around the SP-16 wad base. The plastic will keep the ball powder from migrating and will just blow out the muzzle with the wad. I just lay a square evenly across the top of the wad guide and slip the wad home like usual. Easy peasy.
h1tdk00
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy, do you think the piece of plastic bag under the wad will have any affect on the pressure?
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

....depends on the hull, Rem SP hulls and Win AA type hulls give the SP 16 a good fit. Purple Feds can allow powder to drift around hull wall..... an "overshot" card placed over the powder BEFORE the wad is placed can minimize this leakage in "fatter" hulls... (I think the term is actually straightwalled hulls...)

SShooterZ
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

h1tdk00 wrote:
16gaugeguy, do you think the piece of plastic bag under the wad will have any affect on the pressure?

Depends on what angle you're looking at it. If you're asking if it will increase a safe load into dangerous category, my answer would be NO. If you are asking will it increase the pressure over just a loose fitting wad, the answer would be YES. Which can be a good thing in terms of performance and cleanliness.
rizzini 16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:50 am  Reply with quote

thanks for the tips, esp. britgun, on the narrower Rem 16 wad. I called Hodgdon and the tech guy told me the wad should be OK-he said it obdurates (sp?) on powder ignition which thought follows your line of thinking.
One more thing-Does anyone know if the Federal purples, the "Game Shok" hull, is the same as the "Federa; HP" hull noted for various recipes in "The sixteen Gauge Manual" from BP?
Many tanks, Rizz 16

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:01 am  Reply with quote

The basic 16 gauge Federal hull has not changed in almost 40 years, ever since they went to a plastic tube instead of all paper way back in the late 1960's. The hull base is not brass anymore, and the plastic used for the tube varies from lot to lot a bit. Some are easier to fold crimp than others. Hower, the internal capacity is abot identical. This is the single most important aspect to consider.

After all, once the shell is fired, a shot shell hull is nothing more than a gasket to seal powder gases from leaking past the chamber. It two hulls are constructed the same, and have the same internal size or capacity as each other within a percent ot two, both should perform about identically with any given load.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:39 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
The basic 16 gauge Federal hull has not changed in almost 40 years, ever since they went to a plastic tube instead of all paper way back in the late 1960's. The hull base is not brass anymore, and the plastic used for the tube varies from lot to lot a bit. Some are easier to fold crimp than others. Hower, the internal capacity is abot identical. This is the single most important aspect to consider.

After all, once the shell is fired, a shot shell hull is nothing more than a gasket to seal powder gases from leaking past the chamber. It two hulls are constructed the same, and have the same internal size or capacity as each other within a percent ot two, both should perform about identically with any given load.

he's right, if it's purple, it will give you what you expect....I have some real old ones and some brand new ones, and there is no differences that I can detect.... makes it the "reloader for dummies" friend.... I love 'em... but on the finer powders, I do need something like a card or 16gg's plastic to eliminate trickle down sides of wad, if it's a Rem....

rizzini 16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Many thanks u guys. The Hodgdon tech guy Ron also told me, don't try 'n push Universal Clays up too much in grain weights. I have great performance with it in 28 gauge AAHS hulls (13.9grns) , but no so good in the purples at 22.5 grns.
He said Longshot would be a better bet.
Your favorite powder for the purples??..and where is the recipe listed?

Many tanks,
Rizz 16

britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:01 am  Reply with quote

27gr Longshot, Rem SP-16 (don't forget 16gg's plastic, or my overshot card UNDER wad, over powder) 1 1/8 oz shot, Win 209 primer, it's like in the mid 7000's for pressure..... other guys will certainly pipe up with other loads and ideas, most are way more experienced than I, heck, I got this recipe from one of 'em Smile

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:00 am  Reply with quote

The square of plastic trick will not raise pressures to any graet degree. Once the wad base obturates, the peak pressure will be about the same. The minor extra ejecta weight is so neglegible as to be immaterial. If you are loading the slower ball powders, you are pretty much safe. their peak pressures happen a bit further along.

The maximum charges of powder in all printed data from the major componant and powder companies has a considerable fudge factor already figured in. If you are going above their recommended max powder charge weights, you are on your own. However, it still does not mean you are immediately on thin ice. a half a grain or so extra of a slower type powder is not going to blow your gun up if its a modern, well constructed gun. Its when you start adding 10% or more extra powder or substitute a faster burning powder that things can get dicey. Safety and common sense go hand in hand.
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

The load I've found works very well in the purple Federal hulls is the 7/8 to 1 oz. G/BP wad, loading 1 oz. #9 with 19.0 grains of Green Dot. I take a fiber wad and cut it in thirds, using one piece per wad as a filler. The hulls crimp closed very nicely. Velocity is approx. 1200 FPS. Great for busing clays. However on the down side, I've found that I only get about 2-3 loadings before the purple Feds start to split badly(and then don't load as nice). I've had very good luck with the Remington black hulls, Rem. SP16 wad, with 1 1/8 oz. of #9, and the same 19.0 grains of Green dot powder for a velocity of 1180 FPS +-. These hulls hold their shape and don't split after numerous loadings(6-7). And they always crimp closed like a factory load. Very Happy

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Nantan, do yourself and your gun a favor. Use Unique or better yet, Herco for that 1-1/8 ounce load. Green dot is just too fast for a 1200 FPS load in the Remington case with an SP16 wad. Trust me on this. You are probably a good 2000-3000 psi over the top already and don't know it. You will get better patterns to boot.
rizzini 16
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Today I loaded the Rem (dark green) Express Long Range hull with 21.2 grns Longshot, SG16 wad and 1 oz of #8's, CCI 209M primer. Tried a few at the range and they feel pretty good. Snappy, intended for mid range sporting clays shots. Sat's NSCA day reg. shoot so will let you know.
1rst reload on these high brass hulls so jury's out on # of reloads.
Recipe is off of Hodgdon 16 g Database for Rem SP hull
1250/9700.
Rizz 16
PS

My standard sporting clays go-to load is the BP greenie hull, win 209,
23. grns Unique, SG16wad and again, 1 oz of #8's. Slams everything.
1275/9100

"PULL!"