16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Winchester 16 gauge super X shells
cdansan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

One of my local shops has abopt a dozen boxes of 16 gauge 6's and 7 1/2's. Do these hulls reload well? I have several hundred winchester waa16 wads that I could use to reload them with. I will probably pick them up anyway, you can never have too many.
SShooterZ
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

My experience with SuperX shells in 20 and 12 has been that they're junk for reloading. In fact, I have a whole box of 20s I'm looking to dump.
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

depending on price - it's worth picking them up just to shoot once...

I'll have 250 of the Win game load hulls empty soon so if you want to work a trade, I'll accept a couple full growlers from the Shed for the empty hulls Wink

Oh and when you clean out your source, ask him to stock 16's on a regular basis - be sure to buy a few boxes on every visit - that way he will.
h1tdk00
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 am  Reply with quote

I have had the opposite results with the Winchester SuperX hulls. I'll bet I've reloaded some of them 10 times. I use them at 2 3/4" until they get too bad and then I cut them down to 2 1/2" and use them some more, and they have to get pretty bad before I throw them away.

Tim
SShooterZ
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:11 am  Reply with quote

They're 6-point crimps correct?
h1tdk00
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, the Super X hulls come with a 6 point crimp.
cdansan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

I will pick them up tomorrow and give them a try. You can never have too many and good hulls are hard to find.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

The Winchester 16 ga. Game Load hulls which I've purchased were originally loaded in #8's from the factory. I use a Green Dot 1 oz. load that is pretty mild. They will reload fine, but I put a piece of puffed wheat or two on top of the shot to get a decent crimp. You could use the wad cards too, so do yourself a favor..don't toss them away without at least trying to reload them; they are good hulls.....

DanLee
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:26 pm  Reply with quote

My experience with the Winchester Super-X game load hulls (post compression-formed) has been mixed. With the first type, which had a silver-colored base and were apparently made in the U.S., the plastic was tough and could actually be reloaded almost indefinitely; I reloaded one batch of 50 hulls at least 20 times before tossing them. That was better performance than the old compression-formed hulls afforded.

Unfortunately, those particular shells were offered only a couple of years. (I wish I'd bought several cases while they were available.) Since then, the Winchesters have been made with Cheddite hulls, first in Italy and then in Australia. The Cheddites haven't lasted much beyond four or five reloads. The Italians loaded them especially hot and I had to position the rings on my Sweet Sixteen for heavy loads. The Australian shells seem to be more in line with their advertised 2-1/2 drams.

My reloads are mild and I have to use the light setting for the rings, plus heavily oil the magazine tube to ensure that the gun will cycle. I use a 28-gauge overshot card (.030") to flatten the crimp, as it prevents the petals from digging into the low shot column.

Like someone else said, buy 16 gauge ammo when you find it, not when you need it.

Dan