16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  DeHaan S2 on hold
locoduck
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

Been working with Cody at DeHaan Shotguns Ltd. since late last week to get a model S2 SxS. She was very helpful when I told her I wanted the lightest one they had in stock with the nicest wood. I made contact with a local FFL last night and he sent me an email that I forwarded to Cody. She took care of calling the FFL and getting the license faxed. All I have to do is drop the check in the mail tomorrow and she'll be on her way in a few days!! Now that's customer service!! Laughing Here's what I ended up ordering...

DeHaan S2
16 gauge
28" Fixed IC/M chokes polished black chrome barrels
English stock w/splinter forearm
Full Scroll engraving
7.3 lbs.
4-5 lb trigger pull

She may not be the lightest girl in the uplands this fall but I think she'll balance and swing nice. She'll soak up a bit more recoil than a sub 7 lb. double too. All in all I think I made a good choice. I'll post pics when she comes in.

L'duck <><
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds nice Duck! Look forward to seeing the pics!

Matt
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

I for one, don't want to see a picture of your new gun.

Every time someone posts a picture, I end up buying another gun. My check book and my bulging safe just can't handle it anymore.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
locoduck
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian,

Hey, feel free to box up those guns that are causing the bulges in your safe and send them my direction. I've got plenty of room in mine!! Laughing!!

L'duck <><
SShooterZ
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
I for one, don't want to see a picture of your new gun.

Every time someone posts a picture, I end up buying another gun. My check book and my bulging safe just can't handle it anymore.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Oh that's rich... And so painfully true. Shocked

locoduck - I think its required by forum rules that pictures of all new gun purchases be posted immediately. Wink
jd6729
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

I think you will be happy with the gun. I have an SO model in 28 ga, set up like yours. It is a delight to shoot. Shoots right where I'm looking.
jd
flyline
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Excellent! I've been looking into an S2 myself for a while. I hear nothing but good things about the company and the product. I'll be anxious to hear your feedback.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

flyline wrote:
Excellent! I've been looking into an S2 myself for a while. I hear nothing but good things about the company and the product. I'll be anxious to hear your feedback.

Hi Jeff, Ron aka Over&Under has a SO 16ga and I bet that we can talk him into some clays with it if you want to take one for a test drive.

flyline
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:50 am  Reply with quote

John - I remember handling Ron's gun at our hunt a few weeks ago. I'll see if I can nail him down in a couple of weeks on clays. Thanks, I forgot.
RalphEGrant
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Locoduck,

I ran across your post on shotgunworld.com a few minutes ago. Had a serious case of Dejavu. Shocked
I have a DeHaan SO in 16ga and really enjoy the gun. Been quail huntin with it back in January and shot sporting clays twice. It was exponentially worth more than I spent for it. I'd be darn surprised if you could find another NEW double that increases its value by 8% by adding a Galco pad to, and shoots half as good. All I need now is a 10gauge and my evil plan will be set into motion... Twisted Evil

Brning Cyn Sprting 12ga O/U,
Auto 5 12ga Belg, 16ga BPS, 20ga Citori, Beretta 3901 Target 12ga, AL391 Teknys Gld
DeHaan SO 16ga S2 12ga SXS's, Chaz Daly 20ga SXS, CZ Ringneck 28ga SXS
Rem 1100 .410 Sprting
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

Did anybody notice that no one admonished the buyer about the barrels?? Oh, never mind. It's not Italian.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
311A 16ga
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
Did anybody notice that no one admonished the buyer about the barrels?? Oh, never mind. It's not Italian.

Have a DeHaan U2 16 and the barrels shoot spot on. Understand that the barrels are made using Austrian computer controlled barrel machinery in the Huglu factury.
locoduck
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

Ralph,

I posted a reply to yours on SGW. Got an email from DeHaan this afternoon that it had been shipped today. Should arrive next Tuesday. I'm looking forward to spending time with this gun. I've shot a few side-by-sides before but just for fun. Never owned or hunted with one, so I am anxious to give it a try. I'm planning an Oklahoma pheasant hunt this fall. Ranch birds, but it should be a good chance to give it a workout. Just out of curiosity what brand of shells have you been shooting in your S0?

Kind regards,
L'duck <><
RalphEGrant
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

I've been shooting the Federal and Remington 1oz loads in 71/2 and 8. The cheapest I've found were the Remington black shell game loads with the dove on the box at Bass Pro Shop for 3.99 a box. They have all been fine.

I'm saving the cases until I decide whether I'm going to load 'em or not. At 3.99 a box, its almost not worth my time.

Brning Cyn Sprting 12ga O/U,
Auto 5 12ga Belg, 16ga BPS, 20ga Citori, Beretta 3901 Target 12ga, AL391 Teknys Gld
DeHaan SO 16ga S2 12ga SXS's, Chaz Daly 20ga SXS, CZ Ringneck 28ga SXS
Rem 1100 .410 Sprting
locoduck
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I've been looking at locally. Acadamy has the black Remington's for $4.29/box. I think the Federals are about the same at Gander Mtn. I spent a lot of time this weekend researching the 2-1/2" shell offerings from Polywad. I even sent an email to them and got a nice reply from Jay. I'd like to try their Vintage shells for quail etc. but at $85 + shipping they are expensive since you have to buy them by the case (250). Their SPRED-R loads look like the ticket for skeet shooting through the fixed IC/M barrels. I don't have any reloading equipment, and for as little as I shoot I'm not sure I can justify the expense. A case of Polywads would probably last me a couple fo years (unless I completely fall in love with the S2) since my main clays gun is a Winchester Supreme Sporting 12 ga. O/U. I'm not really recoil sensitive but at my age the less the better. The Polywads have a muzzle velocity of 1175 fps according to Jay. Those would be real comfy to shoot. How's the recoil with the Federal and Remingtons in your S0?

L'duck <><