16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Has anyone seen the new Cesar Guerini 16 ga???
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Neither have I. But Safari Outfitters says, if there is enough demand, he can get CG to do a special order run on a 20 ga. receiver. Would probably weigh about 6 1/2 lbs. The problem is that there will need to be several similarities. Barrel length, solid or vented rib, receiver- polished, plain, or case colored.

I was thinking- prince o wales, 28", solid rib, screw in chokes( unless fixed chokes can be had at a lighter weight. And Safari has a special case colored receiver that was done just for them by CG.

People from CG are going to be in town in a few weeks, so we'll find out then how many need to be ordered on a special order basis.

Post some responses and I will forward them.

Maybe we can make this happen.

P.S. I have no interest in owning a new gun. CG or anyone elses for that matter. So, I started this effort for the rest of you. I have no intentions of scamming anything for myself. But, we'll have to fly 16gaugeguy to Italy(first class) to inspect the barrels first.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
Foursquare
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

A trick question, eh?
Sort of like "Did you see Stevie Wonder's new house?".
Niether did he.

I'm not up on spaghetti gun prices. What's the ballpark cost?

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Another trick question. The lower end guns that I looked at in the store began at around $2500.00 The special order receivers that I saw were about $3500.00. higher end guns went to $45-5500.00 I don't know if there's anything cheaper or pricier that I didn't see.

Here's an Idea... maybe you can have the barrels engraved

"special edition www.16ga.com"

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

This will not happen according to Wes Lang. I recently was involved with emailing back and forth with him. He stated that the CG 20 receiver, which isn't available yet and is on the paper now for 2008, will not handle 16ga. barrels. In his words, if the 20ga receiver will handle 16ga barrels, than the receiver is too big.
They are thinking about a 16ga SxS but it has been put on hold while they run their comp/target guns onto the market.

The first SxS from CG will most likely be a 20ga. Crying or Very sad followed by or in conjunction with a 12ga. IF, they feel and research shows there is enough demand, they will consider a 16ga. SxS on a seperate 16ga receiver.

For more on this check out the CG areas on Shotgunworld.com. Wink

nutcase
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Another trick question. The lower end guns that I looked at in the store began at around $2500.00 The special order receivers that I saw were about $3500.00. higher end guns went to $45-5500.00 I don't know if there's anything cheaper or pricier that I didn't see.

$2,500.00 might be the low end now since they raised their prices. They have 4 or 5 different models, maybe 6 not counting the sporting versions.

SShooterZ
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
But, we'll have to fly 16gaugeguy to Italy(first class) to inspect the barrels first.

That is some funny stuff right there... Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've read the thread on SGW: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=809279

I think I would be inclined to drop some top dime on a gun like that. Cool
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

SShooterZ wrote:
[quoteI think I would be inclined to drop some top dime on a gun like that. Cool

I would love to see them produce a quality SxS in 16ga for field use. But I wouldn't be so inclined to rush out after one on a larger, 16ga dedicated frame. Just my $.02.

MGF
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:43 pm  Reply with quote

I'm afraid I'll be one of the first guys in line whether their first 16 is an O/U or a SxS. Just love the CGs. A lot of gun and first-rate crafstmanship for the money, IMO. In the meantime, having plenty of fun with my Winchester Model 42 in .410, my CG Magnus in 20 and my FAIR 900 in 16. My other shotguns seem to be in semi-retirement. I hope they're not pouting Crying or Very sad and storing up misses.
16'er
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:43 am  Reply with quote

I think CG ought to look real hard at the merkel before they make a 16ga sxs. They are likely to be in the same price bracket, and they had better stand up to the competition if they want to take some market share...

I like the look of the CG guns in general. Have yet to shoot one though...
MGF
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:10 am  Reply with quote

Personally, I hope they do an O/U16 before a SxS. Naturally, only time will tell how well they stand up to the competition. Merkel's got a lot of history behind it and, from what I read, it's a very solid history.

From my own modest experience with my one CG and from what I've seen and read so far, though, if CG builds one, they'll build it well and stand behind it equally well. They are a young company, but off to a very fine start with their products and growing reputation for first-rate customer service.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

I'd like to see a CG o/u in 16 myself. Perhaps they will put better barrels on theirs than the other two seem to be able to. If not, its just more overpriced, laquered trash IMO. If Perazzi can do it, and Miroku can do it, so can they. They owe it to their fans.

PS, for those of you who like the Italian style guns and straight shooting barrels as well, why not start a campaign to urge the two Rizzini companies to perfect their barrel assembly techniques, before raising their prices. Sending me to Italy will be nice of you, but sending them a letter might be smarter.
MGF
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:17 pm  Reply with quote

16GG, if you ran into a guy in the field or at the club shooting with a Rizzini, would you call his gun a piece of "overpriced, laquered trash"? You might want to be careful about tossing out any more musings about who's a gentleman and who's not.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:34 am  Reply with quote

Putting the term into historical context, "lacquered trash" is the term the British gun trade has used for nearly two centuries to refer to any gun with fancy, eye catching fittings and finish but having second rate barrels and the resulting poor performance. Straight, round, well regulated bores define a shotgun as good or bad. Its as simple as that. The English who made the best guns of the time understood this from the beginning. They coined the term as a warning to their prospective customers about the prettily done but poorly performing, second and third rate guns being made and sold even then.

Since that time, nothing has changed in this matter. Some companies strive to make a good, properly performing product, and others just look for the cheapest way to a good profit, regardless of the results. this applies to anything we buy.

I say again, if Guerini puts good barrels on their guns, the guns will perform as a good gun should and will be worth every penny of the asking price. If they install second or third rate barrels, the resulting guns will be nothing more than overpriced, laquered trash.

It is up to the buyer to determine good from bad, before he buys. This way, he will get what he's paying for. Being forwarned is better for him. I've done this. Now its up to those who've read my posts on the subject to look down those barrels beforehand. Its the only way to determine the truth about the gun he's considering for purchase.

I feel no need to apologise for speaking the truth of the matter--to you, or anyone. Telling the simple truth is always the gentlemanly thing to do IMO. If a purchaser has gotten sucked in, the truth will sting, but shooting the messenger will not undo the mistake. Next time, the purchaser should be wiser for it.

As far as tellling a man on the field that his gun is no good, I will not have to. All the missed birds and targets will tell him that louder than anything I could say. Experience is a good teacher, but learning after the fact of the mistake is always costly and sometimes, painful.
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:27 am  Reply with quote

Well, dandy then. You won't have to tell me either of my FAIRs or my CG is "lacquered trash." Aren't many missed birds ... and when there are, I know it was the workman, not the tools.

Myself, I believe in the old adage about being careful what you say about a man's bird gun, his bird dog and his wife. In person and otherwise.
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:35 am  Reply with quote

I've only owned 1 CG, Summit Sporting, and it was a top notch gun at a reasonable price. It shot where you aimed. I don't know how they make the barrels, what type metal they use or don't. I do know that the guns produced by CG are nothing but quality.
If they can produce a nice SxS on a small frame, I'll be the first to sign up for one.

As far as talking bad about my bird dogs (except for Huns), by guns and my wife, The Girls (my dogs) and guns are off limits. Have at it on the wife, she can handle herself. Wink