16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Buying a Classic
saw557
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:17 am  Reply with quote

I know nothing about classic SxS's I have a 16ga 525 but I am kinda thinking it might be fun to have an old SxS.It wouldn't have to be a 16ga maybe a 20ga. to start with. What does a guy look for and where do you start I am thinking something fairly reasonable to began with in case I either get burned or find out I dont like it. Any help would be great
Thanks
Scott
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:59 am  Reply with quote

Interesting Scott-maybe it's the planatary allignment of the Spring Equinox, but you started this thread about the same time last year Very Happy
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=969
Now just go buy something! Wink

M D Christian
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:31 am  Reply with quote

None will be fairly reasonable, compared to a pump or semi-auto..Look for originallity, avoid cut stocks with pads.. Normally on American guns, the barrel lengts will be 28, 30 and 32 inches only about 2% or less had 26" barrels, if odd number or fractions, they've most surely been cut.. Some decent buys can still be had in The Fultons, made by Hunter Arms and Nitro Specials, made by Ithaca, The Meridem or AJ Aubry is a nice gun, but yo find a lot that are off face. Good luck... MDC
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:54 am  Reply with quote

You will pay a higher premium for a 20 gauge than you are likely topay for a 16 gauge so a 12 gauge will be your least expensive in any classic double because more of them were made.

There are hardly any sleepers on the market anymore, however, there are some decent buys in Lefever Arms Co side lock models (Not the later Ithaca made guns) and Ithaca NID models made from 1925 to 1948 with guns made after about 1935 made without the cocking indicators being my favorite. If bought correctly these guns should hold or increase in value.
saw557
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Well I'll be..... I knew I asked about SxS's before but I was thinking it was on a different forum. I followed the provided link and answered some of my questions But I still don't feel confident enough to run out and buy one. So I am still looking for opinions and advice.
Thanks
Scott
txshootist
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

Scott,

Lefever Nitro Special, Hunter Fulton or Hunter Special, and a little more expensive the Ithaca NID. All except the Ithaca can be found in excellent condtion for well under $1000 ($500-800 depending on model, gage, and condition). Many of these guns will have 2 9/16" chambers except those built around 1930 or later (varies by maker).

Marc
britgun
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:33 pm  Reply with quote

txshootist wrote:
Scott,

Lefever Nitro Special, Hunter Fulton or Hunter Special, and a little more expensive the Ithaca NID. All except the Ithaca can be found in excellent condtion for well under $1000 ($500-800 depending on model, gage, and condition). Many of these guns will have 2 9/16" chambers except those built around 1930 or later (varies by maker).

Marc

.... and if you can spend 50% more, you can get a nice 16 bore Fox Sterlingworth or an LC Smith (these would likely be non-elector field models....)

I began buying American classics just this year, too, and have a Nitro special, which I shot for the first time this weekend (man is it a tight choked hummer), and an Ithaca NID (coming) and an Elsie and a Sterlingworth.... ( all 16's) I really like them all, but for me, with an affinity for light and fast, the Sterlingworth is tops (built a bit tougher, meaning it can withstand a little hotter loads, though I will lean towards lighter loads for it), quite light for a Yankee double (will carry it in the field), they average just a tad over 6 pounds with the lighter No 4 bbls, and not much more with No. 3's.... I had to try a little of everything.... Smile The heavier guns (Ithaca, LC Smith, and Lefever are all between 6 3/4 and 7 pounds) will be used more for clays, and may see some waterfowl and turkey work....

...jump in, the water's fine!!!

Duncan

fred lauer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

For quality,solid guns,from least expensive first; I'd recomend the Lefever Nitro, Fox(Savage)B model, model 24 Win.,Ithaca NID,Fox Sterlingworth. As always, condition dictates price. Any of these guns in reasonable condition are a good place to start.

ermadear55
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Gang,

I spent 3 days of my last R&R shopping for a SxS with all your emails in tow. Looked at one of each and ended up buying a Winchester Model 24 on AA when I got back here. My son says it is a beauty and he had his friend's dad shoot it too and he gave it very high marks too. I will get to try it in about a month. Thanks for all your advice. This may be just a start. I did shoot an Elsie in my research and really liked it but it was over 3X the price of the 24.

Things are going pretty well here in Baghdad.
Gary
hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Gary, You back for good or just a vist? Good to have you back either way
Tim

britgun
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

Gary, great choice, have fun with it, and I know it's your job and all, but a hearty God bless you and thank you very much for your part in fighting the enemies of our country's freedom, I am very grateful to you, and all those with you,

Duncan

ermadear55
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

Tim and Duncan,

I was at home for 12 days R&R and had one of the best times of my life going to gun shops. I am back in Baghdad now but I will be home shortly. It has been quite an experience and truly an honor to work along side our armed forces. Thanks for your kind words. I am sure the 24 will be a great starter SxS.

Gary
hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

Rember, if you make it to Fat Teddy land I owe you a hunt(caned though it will be) or at least a lobster boil and a Sam Adams, or 6. Thanks for all you and the boys are doing over there.

Tim

TJC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Gary, we've never met but thanks for all the work you are doing abroad. I hope that some day I'll get to meet you and we'll both let huns buy us a lobster dinner or 4. Razz

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:35 am  Reply with quote

Same here Gary. Its tough being short. Just stay low and get home safe.