16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hello! New Member
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

I take great pride in making most folks drop their jaw and/or raise their eyebrows at the mention of the gauge I prefer.

For me - nowadays - it's about how, not how many - and the numbers I put up aren't that bad either.
GA_Longhorn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:23 am  Reply with quote

Tom Gresham wrote:
[quote="Hmmmmm....I think I saw you , a while back shooting your Ithaca NID in 16ga, with extra 28ga barrels. A very nice bird gun, indeed. At any rate, welcome aboard. Jump in anytime and enjoy the friendship.

Regards,
Charles

Sounds like a very nice gun, but it's not mine.

I think I'm in the position of needing to get rid of a bunch of guns, and replacing them with a few GOOD guns. Need to get started on that project.[/quote]

You know.....Come to think of it, that was that Bruce Scott fella shooting that gun. Sorry, I get confused in my old age. However I do enjoy your input on flying and self defense. Again, welcome to our little fraternity.

Regards,
Charles

old16
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

Tom Gresham wrote:
Which shotgun do I grab? Hmmm.

It depends. Last Saturday, I was shooting a Model 21 skeet gun, in 16ga. Just breaking a few clays.

I grew up with pumps, autos and over/unders. No SxS guns. In 1988 I made a trip to Spain and toured several gun makers. That started my interest in side-by-sides.

I picked up an Ithaca SKB 20 gauge double (called the "Quail Special") in 20 gauge. Still have it, and have never been able to hit anything with it. It has 25-inch barrels, which may be a big part of the problem.

About four years ago Terry Wieland suggest we get a couple of doubles built by Grulla. Lovely sidelock, 12ga., 29-inch barrels on a 20-gauge frame, 6 pounds 4 ounces. Sweet.

The gun that really got me interested in doubles, though, was a 16 gauge. Some 20 years ago my father bought a shotgun at Dan Bailey's Fly Shop in Montana. It was number 2 of a set. (Number one is still there, being shot by John Bailey.)

Dad's gun is a Lebeau-Courally sidelock. Until then, I had handled only American doubles, and not the best ones. I thought of them as clunky with terrible stocks (too much drop). That 16-gauge Lebeau opened my eyes to what a shotgun could be.

That Lebeau is now mine, since Dad doesn't hunt any more. I need to get the stock bent (I shoot left handed). It's choked mod/full.

Well Tom 16gg warned you. I'm going to need to take the first shot here.
What do you mean to much drop like the american 4x4. I shoot a LC Smith, really the only true sxs made to shoot straight with out drop. Maybe we both better duck on that on.