16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Llewellins
henrybelton
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

My llewellin just turned a year old and is living her first spring. She had great success last fall and worked fairly close on pheasants. Wow - she is bird crazy! She spends most of her days, now, pointing newly arrived robins and also keeps here eyes upward - spotting geese flocks and then taking off to the fields hoping they foolishly land. She's also taken to going after aircraft no lower than 5000 ft.

Meanwhile, my Ryman is most content to sit at my feet and wouldn't think of venturing out unless he was with me and caught the scent of waxed cotton.

So, anyone out there have both types of E. Setters? Have you noticed this incredible difference? I'd read about this but I'm still amazed...I love em both...
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Henry, noticed that about most pointing dogs(they be nuts), which is why meat hunters (like me) get labs. Wink Wink Wink

Last edited by hunshatt on Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

henrybelton
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

labs? I thought this forum had higher standards. So what is it - black, yellow, brown, chocolate, lazy, doltish, blockheadish? Have you ever heard of something called "bird hunting"?

All in fun...
Henry
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Of course it is. If I wanted to get all wound up I'd go to work and watch my guys waste my money, or go home and have the g-friend come up with a new list of things to do.

Chocolate, spoiled, big neck , makes his head look big. But fairly small dog 65lbs. Beau, the super slab. 3 years old and just started to point setting birds(he's out of PL stock) . BUT he acts like a whiney girl dog. I think he suffers from seperation anixiety. He hates to be away from me(of course who could blame him Wink )

Don't get to do alot of bird"hunting" here. More of a preserve slaughter. Between the slab, and the merk(lazer guided pheseant killin machine) not much gets by. Of course what does was probably knocked down by TJC (heck most of the ones that don't get by are poached by him) with one of his lazer beamed merks and fetched up by one of his pointing Shocked Shocked Shocked pitbulls. Shocked Shocked Shocked

TJC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
Of course it is. If I wanted to get all wound up I'd go to work and watch my guys waste my money, or go home and have the g-friend come up with a new list of things to do.

Chocolate, spoiled, big neck , makes his head look big. But fairly small dog 65lbs. Beau, the super slab. 3 years old and just started to point setting birds(he's out of PL stock) . BUT he acts like a whiney girl dog. I think he suffers from seperation anixiety. He hates to be away from me(of course who could blame him Wink )

Don't get to do alot of bird"hunting" here. More of a preserve slaughter. Between the slab, and the merk(lazer guided pheseant killin machine) not much gets by. Of course what does was probably knocked down by TJC (heck most of the ones that don't get by are poached by him) with one of his lazer beamed merks and fetched up by one of his pointing Shocked Shocked Shocked pitbulls. Shocked Shocked Shocked

First, Beau the Slob doesn't have seperation anixiety from being AWAY from you, he's trying to GET AWAY from you. Leave him home with the cat as that is about his speed. Razz

Now as far as poaching and my "Pitbulls" (full breed Drahthaars) I shoot 'um as they appear. Don't miss many, don't let many hit without dying and the ones that do, The Girls do their job and quickly dispatch the wounded game. Wink

Any aggression they may have shown towards the Super Slob was merely an attempt to get him to carry his weight, which I might add is not 65lbs, it's more like 85 ROUND lbs. Wink

TJC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

PS: I will agree with huns that the Merks are lazer guided, feather seeking, flying object knock down, killing machines. Very Happy

hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

He just looked like 85lbs as he was trying to get your steak.
You get my doctors bill for the stiches I needed after (I can never rember the pits names, was if fart or fetchum) which ever one bit me trying to take my bird?

"As they appear" ??????? the birds wrere on the other side of the road, 3/4's of a mile away when you opened up with those gold fiochi's in #3

henrybelton
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

I think you lab folks should stick to strolls through the park. Don't forget the frisbee. And that dog looks so cool with the red bandana around his neck...
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

A what??????Didn't know there was anything but labs Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Well getting back to the subject Henery what is the breeding of your Llewellin?
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
(I can never rember the pits names, was if fart or fetchum)

Reba and Dixie, and Reba is the one that is a bit territorial. Very Happy Besides, possesion is 9/10ths of the law and she had the bird. Therego, it was hers and not yours. Wink

Back to the breeding of Wellies.