16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  reloading with fiber wads...(without plastic)
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

Dave M. wrote:
britgun wrote:
I'm thinkin these paper hulls will go with these fiber wads like peas and carrots....only Armbrust can tell me for sure... Smile

Duncan,
I'm sure they will, it's just a matter of working up a load.
I have the supplies to do it, but I want to concentrate on the plastic wad loads first. We need to work together on this, so we don't duplicate each other. I still haven't heard anything on the 8 loads I sent Tom for testing.
Dave Miles

Great Dave, it'll be fun workin with you.....happy to wait for you to hear back, in fact, it'll be easy, splittin for Africa Sat, back the 19th, surely by then you will know your results, then I'll try the GOOD ones with my fiber stuff so we can compare.... I will be able to check mails over there, so let me know if you hear anything...

kind regds,

Duncan

Leighton
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

I have loaded a lot of Fibers in a 12 ga but recently started loading fibers in my 16 ga BRASS cases. I have found that 21 gr. Pb with 1 oz of shot seems about right. Of course thats more than a plastic case would require,but I have not chronographed it yet.Seems about 1100 ft/sec

Chukarman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Duncan

PM me woth your e-mail, and I'll send some fiber wad loads in Excel format.

M

CFWs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

Hello everyone. Craig from Circle Fly here.

Looks as if I should offer waxed wads on a retail basis! Ballistic Products does handle some of my waxed wads, but I am not sure if they are still carrying any 16ga. stuff.

Anyway, I thought this may be a good place to ask if some of you folks would like to do some testing. I have a number of products that you could try.
Currently, I have a pre-lubed/waxed fiber wad. This wad is LUBED for black powder shooters. In my guns, I get little, if any leading with these wads using BP. Much the same as lubing cast lead bullets. These may be worth a try with smokless powder loads.
Next are the waxed wads. I have some old Alcan "Blue Streaks" here and when I cut them in half, they seem to be made of a material similar to my 1/2" fiber. I also have a dense 3/8" material that I regularly wax for my manufacturing clients. I can wax some of both and send them out.
Someone mentioned waxing nitro cards... I can do this as well, but I don't think the waxing effect would be near as great as on a fiber wad, in regards to minimizing leading. Although, I do now have a 1/4" nitro that waxes very well. These may be worth a try.

If a few of you would like to try some of these different wads for comparision with smokless powder, and report the results/preferences back to me, I will be happy to send out some samples to you. Please send me an email if you are interested. It would probably be best to load these in straight-walled cases.
My hope is that the info generated will help everyone with the interest of loading this type of shell.

Thanks!
Craig