16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  German Guns!
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

Some folks (Hun, Brit) have been making fun of my German guns. Below, is a Franz Jaeger "Herold" gun. Note the opposed locking lugs. http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u46/prussiangunguy/FranzJaegerHerold16Ga-2.jpg

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

And only Petey, the Setter is allowed to lay his paws on my Daly's! This one a 5 lb. 8 oz. 16-4 bore, Empire Grade

M D Christian
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

That's a good example of German craftsmanship. I don't think I've ever seen a sub-quality, German double..I do think, many times the German makers tend to use a bit of overkill, when it comes to bolting.. Who made the Daly?... MDC
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

M D Christian wrote:
That's a good example of German craftsmanship. I don't think I've ever seen a sub-quality, German double..I do think, many times the German makers tend to use a bit of overkill, when it comes to bolting.. Who made the Daly?... MDC

Yeah, the germans built a gun that locked up tighter than a virgin on prom night.

That's a Harold Linder gun. 1 of 4. I'm looking for a 16 ga. 28" featherweight 185 grade or better. Or a Grade 18 Sauer.

Thanks for looking,

Peter

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

PGG-Nice Wink
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

Nice is an understatement! Downright beautiful would be more like it!

Thanks for sharing PGG!

Matt
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

....ok, ok, I'll fess up, they're nicer than anything I own.... uncle, ok? UNCLE!! Smile

Duncan

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:04 am  Reply with quote

M D Christian wrote:

I agree that many german guns are among the best crafted, most closely fitted guns. They are also among the longest lasting too. One of those reasons is the use of extra locking mechanisms both below and above the line of force or thrust of the shell head on the breech face.

This arrangement helps mitigate the damage done by the downwardly directed leverage or "hinging" of the barrels when the gun is fired. This force is present in all double guns with a bottom located hinge bolt.

In short, guns that have precise fitted top and bottom lugs as seen on many high quality German guns tend to stay on face in spite of heavy use. For most normal service, these guns will last most folks two lifetimes with a bit of cleaning and proper lubrication. To me, this is very desirable. i weant my guns to last.

Frankly, I wish all double gun makers adapted the German's lead in this respect of durable design and extra strength. Those reputable German makers do produce some of the very best double guns in the world, mainly this reason IMO.
JonP
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:09 am  Reply with quote

Prussian Guy,
Awesome guns-you need to go to a few of the German Weapon's Museums. Some of the craftsmanship from the 1870's til WWII is astounding.

What amazes me is the value in German guns. I bought a gun exactly like the pic below, used for less than $1000, in as new condition. I really think that German guns are not as highly regarded as the modern production guns- like Browning, Berretta, etc.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

Jon, I think we all know that finding a sweet deal like you seem to find with fair regularity, are getting harder to find by day if not the hour. I've been looking for guns like this one in as obviously as good a condition for some time for low money. It is not that easy to do unless you have the time to constantly be hunting them. There are now just too many folks like you snapping them up whenever they appear for sale. The folks who put them on the internet alraedy have 99% of them priced at top buck. the sweetheart deals last all of 3 seconds now.
Rooster
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

I only have one serious complaint with German guns.....Actually a multi-faceted complaint:

I don't own enough of them in enough variations, styles, and guages!

Rooster
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

JonP wrote:
Prussian Guy,
Awesome guns-you need to go to a few of the German Weapon's Museums. Some of the craftsmanship from the 1870's til WWII is astounding.

What amazes me is the value in German guns. I bought a gun exactly like the pic below, used for less than $1000, in as new condition. I really think that German guns are not as highly regarded as the modern production guns- like Browning, Berretta, etc.

Now that is pretty. Who made her? What does she weigh?

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Rooster wrote:
I only have one serious complaint with German guns.....Actually a multi-faceted complaint:

I don't own enough of them in enough variations, styles, and guages!

Rooster

You and me both. You and me both.

fastarget
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

pretttttttttttttttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyy,
Would love to know more about the German guns, only know about merkels, And we have a F.W. Kessler hammer gun that is awsome.

The problem for me is that sometimes because of the lack of info/knowlege about some of the older manufacturers I have let by a purchase , fearing a low quality piece. But these two...............woooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww