16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Marlin model 90
saw557
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Whats the story on these? The more I surf the more questions I have. I've never seen or heard of these until I read a post on the want ad pages. Looks like a pretty decent piece. How are they are there any particular problems to look for when were they made. Whats the going price for them. Sorry for the all the stupid questions I am just curious
Scott
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

You'll need to speak to Charles. He's the Marlin man. I have only seen one in 16 ga. No top rib. No middle rib. Dual triggers, Extractors. Between 6.25 - 6.50 lbs. BUT she balanced as nice as any gun I ever handled.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
gold40
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

The Malin 90's were O.K. guns, but nothing special. Usually sell in the $300 to $500 range. Originally made for Sears Roebuck, and sold via their mail-order catalog.

The receivers were made of a special steel, and considered to be safe, but less than ideal. Wood on stocks is ususlly very plain.

There are several variations, and some are branded "Sears."
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Hmm nothing special hmmmm To quote Woodcock :

She may not be the prettiest girl at the ball , but she has the most rythem of any there.

It sure is an ugly shotgun only second to a Springfield Pump but it is a thing of beauty to shoot , If you get ahold of one and shoot it well ,

HANG ON WITH BOTH HANDS FOR SOMEONE ELSE IS LOOKING FOR YOUR MAGIC WAND .

The price is what every you get one for and worth twice to ten times the going rate .

I just sold a few months back an TMX SPECIAL AND MX8 PERAZZI to buy Marlin 90s that is what I think of the ole ugly guns and I am about ready to sell some more OF THE SO CALLED GOOD GUNS TO PURCHASE MORE MARLIN 90S

Junk gun you bet I will take all of em you can find . Just bring them on I have a waiting list of people that has shot mine and cant wait to get their hands on one ..........

Regards Charles
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:26 am  Reply with quote

Charles as the resident expert on Marlin 90's please clear up something I heard years ago.

Is it true that the receiver is forged out of iron or is it steel?
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:00 am  Reply with quote

It is true it is made out of a forging made of Malliable Iron which does not hurt it in the least , one of the more stable substances out there .

but the ones that I will produce will be made out of Steel , Stainless Steel, and Aluminum or if someone wants to spend the extra for the 3 % reduction is weight you can have Tititanum. I dont like machining Iron or graphite that is why the other materials LOL

Regards Charles
woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:49 am  Reply with quote

Twice Bbl--The receiver on the 90's being out of malleable iron isn't a problem until one begins to blue that receiver. Conventional bluing gives a beautiful finish for a few weeks until it begins to oxidize into a lurid purple (sometimes a dirty brown). I have several of these guns and have shot them for decades--still sweet.
Charles tells me that his new forging will be of sterner stuff but the current frames could be case hardened I suppose---but why?
Gold 40--the guns were made at the request of Sears but were sold by Marlin concurrently with their introduction to catalogue sales. (please see my previous posts on this firearm). I would suggest you buy all you can find at the $300 to $500 price--many of those show hard wear and not a little abuse. Actually the Sears guns were marked 'Ranger' (pre wwII) and J.C. Higgins (post WWII).
Generally the MOI on these guns runs near 1.00--1.25 accounting for the nice 'feel' of the little gun. Some of the 16's will weigh nearer 6# 12oz. in the center-rib 28" versions (wood density considered) but most, as PGG says, weigh less with some of the 26" separated bbl. models dipping below 6#.
The Marlins were indeed "nothing special" TO LOOK AT--to shoot----well shoot one and you tell me. Wink
Ron