16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Backup for S.D. trip?
Mark Larson
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:24 am  Reply with quote

I just spend $1k on a washer/dryer and don't need another gun. My wife would kill me. BUT, I am planning on a S.D. trip this December on some private land through a friend. This will be my first airline hunting trip. I live in WA., and will be flying with my 30" Lefever H. I'm working up some low pressure 1 oz. paper loads with the new Cheddite hulls now (waiting for Dave M's test results), and I will be using Federal hulls to try to work up an under 8,500psi 1 1/8oz longish range #5 load (probably with Longshot).

Since I am flying that far away, should I bother bringing a [cheap] backup gun? My Lefever hasn't failed me, but what if? Will I be under-gunned if the birds are flushing wild in early December, justifying the NEED Cool for a gun that will shoot anything, including 1 1/4 oz. Fed. wing shok mags?

If I go the cheap backup route, here's what might be doable in the near future:

1. $400 solid ribbed A5 16 in good condition with poly choke (at a local shop)
2. $300 used older 870 16 (saw one at a show recently, light and fit like a glove)
3. $500 new bps
4. $0 12b BPS I now own, with new 26" invector choke barrel. Heavy, but works great and I could bring some real boomers if the birds are flushing wild.

Would love a 16 nitro (if it could indeed shoot modern mags), but haven't found one cheaper than $5-600 lately that is in good shape.

Thoughts?
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:57 am  Reply with quote

I assume your Lefever is double triggers? I personally have 'pumped' the forend and 'forgot' about the back trigger when trying to alternate between a 12g pump pheasant gun and a 20g double trigger quail gun SxS Mad
That said, the BPS would be excellent, and cheap Wink , insurance.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:10 am  Reply with quote

Is that anything like repeatedly pulling the front trigger and cussing 'cause the birdy flew away?
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:31 am  Reply with quote

I made my first Dakota hunt this last year and found the old 11-48 Remington a good back-up for my Beretta 411E 16ga. The 11-48 digested 1 1/4 oz. #6 Remington Express loads and was easy on the recoil. These were the old dark green translucent with the *57 primers. The birds didn't know what hit um.
Best,
Ron
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

Have you considered a Spartan-Remmy for general field use/abuse????
Mark Larson
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

Rev, yes my H is double triggers. I've never had an issue switching back and forth for some reason. I never even think about it, it just happens.

As for the Spartan, No I haven't considered one. A friend of mine bought a 12 Spartan and it was always doubling on him, so I've shied away from that. A double trigger version might be a less trouble-prone consideration however. Do they offer that?
Highcountry
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

Mark Larson wrote:
Would love a 16 nitro (if it could indeed shoot modern mags), but haven't found one cheaper than $5-600 lately that is in good shape.

Thoughts?

I would use the BPS until you can save the dough for the Nitro. Also, if you have windy conditions with wild flushing birds, that 12ga with heavy loads would be the ticket.

IDcut
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

I made my first trip to S.D. last year also. It was kind of overkill on my part, taking 4 guns with me. An Ithaca-SKB 280 E in 12 gauge, an 870 12 as a backup and for anyone that wanted to use it, a Win. model 12 16 gauge 2.5" chamber, and a Belgian Peiper hammerless 16 ga. I used 3 of the 4. My brother ended up using the 870, since he was having some trouble hitting birds with his Mod. 12 12 ga. trap gun. As I mentioned on an earlier post, I think he's remedied his problem with the purchase of an A5 16 ga, so no need to take the 870 next trip.

This year, I think I'll take two Rem. 1900's one in 16 one in 12, the Win. Mod. 12-16 ga, and probably the 280E, but then again....
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:49 am  Reply with quote

How long are you going to be there?

Last trip I brought three guns-never again. Just one, and enough ammunition next time.

Even late in the season, I had plenty of birds close enough to use regular ammunition-I didn't use, or need, magnum anything. I was a little bummed about using my old Tobin 16 in freezing rain, and it got a ding in it's new stock, but, I've decided that's what it's for.

2 1/2" Eley fibre wad English 5s and 6s, low pressure, no less, worked as well or better than the Roman candles a few of the guys were using.

If the Lefever has double triggers, you have two guns along for the trip. They just happen to be on the same frame.

Best,
Ted
sprocket
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:28 am  Reply with quote

my paranoia isn't with a malfunctioning gun but with my gun not arriving for whatever reason...

I plan to travel to NOLA this fall for some birding and I'm wondering what the best method for bringing the gun and procuring shells down there.

Do I ship the gun to myself or carry it on the plane?

Do I give my niece a shopping list and have go search for the bismuth & game loads?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:37 am  Reply with quote

Here are a couple of good threads about taking guns on airplanes vs. shipping them to yourself:
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1294
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2178

(and BTW: we always have a...uh...oh the shame Embarassed spare...plastic...12g...Benelli SBE Wink )

Last edited by revdocdrew on Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:22 am  Reply with quote

I always take 2 guns. I am not going to plan a 3K mile trip and leave reliablility to chance.

No manner what I take I always bring a pump gun for back up. I like to keep it simple and bring the same gauge. My first choice for back up is the Remington 31 in 16 gauge. I also have an 870 16 gauge.

The pump WILL NOT fail especially the 870. If the weather is really bad you'll want the 870
IFL16's
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:28 am  Reply with quote

Mark, personally I wouldn't go that far or to that much expense without a back up gun. Sounds like the deciding factor will be available money. Buy the best option you can afford or at least take the 12 gauge you already own if you don't have the extra money for something better.

Or maybe check with the guys you're going with. Maybe they will be bringing extra guns they wouldn't mind letting you use if your H develops issues.

Also be sure to check the weather report. At that time of the year you could find yourself walking in a foot of snow.

Larry
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

I would say the same thing, take 2 guns or at least have access to another gun in case something happens to yours. I don't travel without bringing a second gun.

Mark Larson
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

It does seem prudent to bring my 12bps just in case, although I doubt, like Ted said, that I will need it. But you never know. If I can swing it, for ammo compatibility reasons if nothing else, I would love to have a second 16 that will shoot anything, even an 870. I saw a roughly 40's vintage French sxs recently that looked very light, straight stock, etc., (it was a Costco gun, looked similar to an Ideal), and was only $700. Can 40's era guns shoot modern stuff if barrel wall thickness is good?