16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Backup for S.D. trip?
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

I don't drive 3 hours, much less 3K miles with out a back up. Having 2 guns that can digest the same ammo is a plus, if you remember the ammo. If you're going to buy ammo out there, consider ordering a case or 2 and have it shipped directly to where-ever you're staying. Also, plan for extra boots also. Wet, sore feet could be just as bad as a broken gun.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

Something else to consider is that you can walk into a gun store is SD, buy a shotgun and walk out with it in minutes. This will give you the extra few days to come up with a reasonable story about why you needed another shotgun when your wife asks the big question upon your return.

Just a thought, but be sure you make the story believable because SD is not a place where you want to spend the winter in a cardboard box on a street corner...if you get my drift.
RalphEGrant
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

IFL16's wrote:
Also be sure to check the weather report. At that time of the year you could find yourself walking in a foot of snow.

I always seem to hunt SD in early December. I have hunted in 70 degree weather, -5 degree weather, and one year we hunted in snowshoes which was really pretty cool.

At that time of the year, alot of the birds will be flushing pretty far out if your not hunting over dogs. However, there are SO MANY birds, there are plenty of close shots to go around. I have shot my 28ga in December and done very well.

Don't underestimate the DeHaan SO in 16ga. English Stock, Double Triggers, 28" barrels, IC/M, new for less than $700. Much better than the spartan IMHO.

Have a great hunt!

Brning Cyn Sprting 12ga O/U,
Auto 5 12ga Belg, 16ga BPS, 20ga Citori, Beretta 3901 Target 12ga, AL391 Teknys Gld
DeHaan SO 16ga S2 12ga SXS's, Chaz Daly 20ga SXS, CZ Ringneck 28ga SXS
Rem 1100 .410 Sprting
LiverTick
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:02 am  Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about being able to procure ammunition in SD, especially for a backup gun. Every hardware store I've been to carries both decent and premium shells, and most gas stations do too, for that matter. Of course, take the shells you want for a primary gun, but you should be able to find good 16 or 12 gauge shells without any trouble.
Mod 97
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:20 am  Reply with quote

Definitely take a backup - two guns that shoot the same ammo will be far more convenient - especially since you are flying.

Where are you hunting/staying? I've covered a lot of ground in SD and there is no doubt finding 16ga shells can be a problem if you are in a small town. To travel w/ a 16 means planning ahead when it comes to Ammo!!

As for Late Season pheasant hunting, my experience (extensive) has been that they either get up so far ahead you shouldn't be shooting at them, or they get up under your feet. Regular shells are the rule unless you are a "backup" gunner who shoots the birds that are crippled or other hunters have already missed.

Most importantly, have fun, be ready to walk, and bring plenty of spare sox and an extra pair of (broken in) boots!

NR
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Excellent advice, thanks! I'll be flying with a friend and staying with his brother in Sioux Falls. If it goes well it could become an annual or at least semi-annual event. He has access to private land there through his friends. It should be lots of fun. I'll be bringing my brit too (first time for him to fly too), so it will be an adventure, and I'll bring my own ammo with me so I'm not too worried about that. I may have to get a double gun case to bring two guns.

I need to figure out a way to have October through January off, and an unlimited supply of $ for hunting trips. Anybody care to sponsor me? Very Happy
GA_Longhorn
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

I normally hunt with a Feather Weight Specialty grade 16ga L C Smith, but my backup gun is a pristine B Model Fox in 16ga. Either one serves me well, and always a joy to shoot.

Regards,
Charles

driggy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Check out Gary's gun shop on 41st right next to the Coyote Canyon buffet place. Steve Naatches runs it and is a great guy. Former state trap and sporting clays champion. He has a sporting range just south of town if you want to practice. There is a Scheels store in town but I like dealing with someone who nows what's actually going on.
Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:34 am  Reply with quote

Leave extra guns behind; if you need one buy it IN SOUTH DAKOTA. In fact leave your primary gun behind too and buy two guns IN SOUTH DAKOTA. And buy all of your hunting equipment IN SOUTH DAKOTA. Did I mention that my home is in South Dakota? Very Happy

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:58 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Leave extra guns behind; if you need one buy it IN SOUTH DAKOTA. In fact leave your primary gun behind too and buy two guns IN SOUTH DAKOTA. And buy all of your hunting equipment IN SOUTH DAKOTA. Did I mention that my home is in South Dakota?

Now THAT is one of the best responses I have ever received. I love it! Spoken like a true American. Laughing