16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Info. on a LEFEVER SXS 16
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Hey kids:
A guy has a Lefever SxS 16 for sale here. He is asking $375.00. Does anyone have any information on the Lefever?
Thanks,
Rich

twopipe
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

Would need to know a lot more about it. There are several "lefever" varieties. At $375, it's probably a Nitro Special, which would be an ithaca product and bear no resemblance to the original Lefevers. That being said, I hunt mostly with 16 gauge Nitro Specials. They are extremely durable and good handling side-by-sides. Within the "Nitro Special" category, there are also some variations in frames, embellishment, triggers, chokes, etc. If you could add some more detail, including the serial number, I will try to give you a little more information.

Roy
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

Could be anything from a Nitro Special (a solid low end gun) to a higher quality gun. Condition is everything. You might check out this board:

http://www.lefeverarmscollectors.com

If you can get pix or more info others here can tell you more.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

Up for auction is a Lefever SxS 16 Gauge Double Barrel Shotgun. The piece of history has normal wear for a gun its age. The Lefever SxS shotguns went out of production in 1948. The bluing is about 50% turning to patina. The case color is a little better that 60% as you can see from the pictures. The chokes are 2 & 4, which is Improved Modified and Full. Everything is original with all matching numbers. Bores are bright and shinny with no pitting.
Please call me if you have any questions of would like to meet to see it. I paid $450 for it off of an internet auction two years ago. I want to sell it for $375 to help cover summer college tuition. Thanks for your interest.

Here's the info. on the Lefever for sale. Not sure how to download pics to this site, but the gun looks to be in good shape.

Rich

fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like it is probably a Nitro Special. Does the gun have side plates or is it a boxlock? Even if it's a Nitro, that's a decent price in 16ga if the gun's in good shape.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
jchandler
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:26 am  Reply with quote

definitely a Nitro Special from the description. Syracuse Lefevers did not have choke designations. 2 and 4 would indicate Mod and Full chokes.
Nitro Specials were made by Ithaca.
The price sounds very good unless inspection shows some problems.
Jeff
twopipe
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Rich:

Here's my information on some of the recent sales. Condition is the key, although the price of $375 sound pretty reasonable.

Lefever Nitro Special 16 ga 255.00
Lefever Nitro Special 16 ga 26” 240.00
Lefever Nitro Special 16 ga 28” (ex) 500.00
Lefever Nitro Special 16 ga 28” G 375.00
Lefever Nitro Special 16 ga 28” 310.25
Lefever Nitro Special 16 ga 28” 270.01
Lefever Nitro Special 16 ga 28” 926.00
Lefever Nitro Special 16 ga 28” 399.00
Lefever Nitro Special 16 ga 28” 350.00
Lefever Nitro Special 16 ga 28” VG 287.50
Lefever Nitro Special 16 ga 28” FI 890.01
Lefever Nitro Special 16 ga 28” 300.00
Lefever Nitro Special 16 ga 28” ST 530.00

Roy
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:42 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input, that was very helpful. I personally shoot a Browning Citori 525 Sporting in a 16, but was looking for something for my son in a more affordable price range. Sounds like the Lefever might be just the answer.
Thanks,
Rich Wink

Silvers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:26 am  Reply with quote

Two Pipe, thanks for your data. Interesting... I have a 16 Nitro with 30" tubes and 4&4 chokes. It's the later model with the "sculpted" frame, dated to about 1939 as I recall. It's got about 98% cc and 95% barrels. Wood looks ~ new. Have you recorded any 30" 16 Nitro sale prices? Just curious. It's not for sale right now Silvers

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Nitros are very solid guns, as mentioned above. About the only negative, assuming good condition, might be a stock that's too short (easy fix with a pad) and maybe too low (not so easy fix). Dimensions on Nitros weren't as bad, in general, as on some older guns, but some of them have too much drop for a lot of shooters used to modern guns.

I'd like to see those 16ga Nitros that sold in the $900 range!
twopipe
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

Silvers:

I checked back in the record for five years and found only one 16 ga 30" NS which was sold. The 30" is pretty unusual. That one sold in May 2005 for $450.00.

Roy