16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 ga AOC/SG or 16 lion country grade 4
fastarget
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

both of these 16 ga are made by the same company Ugartechea, I know from the AOC website that theirs are supposed to be the best guns Uggie makes, chopper lump barrels etc. While the grade 4 at lion country is a sidelock.

Esthetics aside, my interest is quality/balance, difference in fit finish, wood, workmanship etc , does anyone have experience with either one to give the lowdown on these two guns....?
Thank you .
J.B.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

IMO the fit and finish is night and day between the two. I shot a 16ga AOC for 4 years before trading up. I never had a problem with the gun and sometimes wish I had it back. The only thing I was not crazy about was the plain wood but I am a real wood junkie. -Jon
fastarget
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

I have heard it before that more time and workmanship is being spent by the factory for the AOC, they warrant them for life for the original owner not bad..........the grade 4 I am told has sidelocks but not as much care is being put into it to keep the price reasonable......................who can deny a nice piece of wood.. Very Happy

Would love to hear the opinions of more experience shotgunners....
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

I owned an AOC 16 for about 6 months. I bought it new from AOC. Mine had a couple mechanical problems right from the beginning. Neither were huge problems, but they put me off a bit anyway. The right ejector was weak and wouldn't eject fully, and the safety reset itself after the first shot. Their service guy got the ejector working, but it was still weaker than the left by a good margin, and the safety was fixed, but not before it screwed up a SxS shoot for me. The finish was pretty subpar on mine also, but I had the smith rub it out and that helped.

I had previously bought a couple Lion Country Ugartecheas new, a Grade 1 20 gauge, and a Grade III 12 gauge, and they were fine. I really liked that Grade III 12 gauge and it did indeed have chopper lump barrels. The grade IV sidelock also has chopper lump barrels. I couldn't shoot the Grade I 20 worth a darn. I'm still haunted by some easy grouse I missed with that gun! It was 5 3/4 pounds and too whippy, so I sold that one outright. About the time I was having a bad time with that AOC the Merkel 1620 came out and the AOC and LCS Grade III 12 got traded for my 1620.

Honestly, my gun's problems aside, the AOC is a nice gun, but I'd go with the LCS Grade IV this time around. The AOC mechanically is the same 40Ex action and barrels (yes, both chopper lump construction) as the Lion Country Grade III. I know, I owned both at the same time. The AOC had a few nice cosmetic touches, but I don't buy the AOC propaganda that they are "better guns" than the Lion Country Supply guns. They aren't.

Since Spanish guns can vary quite a bit from gun to gun as far as fit and finish and wood go, with either vendor I'd try to get there and hand pick your gun.
fastarget
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:07 am  Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Very good, that is the type of info I am looking for.
Interesting as well...........unless you find a used aoc, the Lcs is hundreds to thousands less...

Well, have a 1620, shot it yesterday, now that I am spoiled , it may be hard to look at those spanish guns.

Maybe someday in another gauge like a 28 Very Happy
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:16 am  Reply with quote

fast,
Merkel makes a nice 28ga. Very Happy

fastarget
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:18 am  Reply with quote

see how you are..............the tempting meter is climbing again...
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:26 am  Reply with quote

Fast don't fall for his temptations. He's liquadating all his collection of saturday night specials and drop guns to pay for the up grades.

fastarget
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:29 am  Reply with quote

i thought so, he has the same addictions all numbered. Wink ...........12/16/20/28/410////////////////////////// Very Happy