16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  took the 1620 to pattern it but............
fastarget
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

wonderful gun, beautiful balance, can't even feel the recoil Very Happy , ok I was excited.

...shot two rounds...ejected....loaded.....it double fired when I pulled the trigger...it is a double trigger. Wow, I felt that. it was not actually at the same time, there was a fraction of a second delay, but it did. Ok, reloaded and fired another 4 pairs and it was fine.

so my question is , a break in problem? just a fluke? any history of this?
I stopped firing it, helped my wife pattern her gun and came home.
thought I would ask some questions before i go out and try it again tomorrow.....
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:21 am  Reply with quote

...shot two rounds...ejected....loaded.....it double fired when I pulled the trigger...it is a double trigger. Wow, I felt that. it was not actually at the same time, there was a fraction of a second delay, but it did. Ok, reloaded and fired another 4 pairs and it was fine.

Any chance that your finger slipped off and hit the rear trigger? That happened to me three times with a new gun and gloves this past season. As soon as I took off the glove, I was fine. I only mention this because you said a "fraction of a second".

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
fastarget
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:29 am  Reply with quote

You know the first thing I thought about was that ok, my finger went back and hit it. After it was said and done I felt my finger lightly on the rear trigger, I am pretty sure it got there after the surprise recoil.....

I shoot DT guns, and have not had that happen before, but I guess anything can happen. Going back out today for sure to run the rest of the box through it.........

Still like these guns, used to love Brownings still do, but these german guns have relegated brownings to the second spot on the list........
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:30 am  Reply with quote

FT,
Sorry to hear about the little glitch there. I'm sure it's not a big deal even if there is a problem with the gun.
I'd definately go back out and run a bunch of rounds through it to make sure it wasn't you. I'd feel comfortable if I got through 125-200 rds w/o a repeat.

fastarget
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:47 am  Reply with quote

TJC,

Yes for sure the way to go, is to shoot it and see if there is a repeat.
The little glitch is nothing, the gun is magnificent.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:55 am  Reply with quote

By all means shoot it some more, but..................

Just sent my DT 1620 back to GSI for service. Very first time out, the right barrel stopped firing mid way through a round of skeet. No click, no bang. My son finished the round as singles with the left barrel.

Needless to say, I'm not very pleased with a new gun right out of the box.
We'll see what they say about it.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
fastarget
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:58 am  Reply with quote

Does Merkel have reliability problems or are these rare incidents.?
They are not into large production so you would think a little more care is being taken for a higher quality gun................Now I am getting curious about their reliability..........
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Is the gun brand new, out of the box? If so, there could be a little piece of crud on the sear not letting it seat completely. Does it have a very light trigger pull on the rear trigger, or about the same as the front trigger? You might want to shoot it with a shell in the left barrel only and an empty or snap cap in the right barrel. I have never had a twitch of a glitch with my 1620 (bought it used - - early import) but would hope that Merkel has better quality control than that. Might be worth spraying out the action with a cleaner to dislodge any crud in the action.

fastarget
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Yes have heard of a piece of crud or a seating problem that resolves itself after a few round from others....

Ran the rest of the box through today, and other than a good kick in the face every once in a while, it behaved.....I am thinking that it may have had something that needed cleaned or broken in.......but it shot well today...

I will try and run more through it in the next week just to make sure....
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:12 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like you are on your way. Smile But just in case, you can send it to me and I'll test it for the next 25-30 yrs if you'd like. Wink Then I'll ship it back to you.

fastarget
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:17 am  Reply with quote

Thanks TJC,

Well, come hunt in Colorado and it is yours for the day Very Happy or I will hook you up with my brothers in NJ, and you 3 can test each others guns Wink either way it is a winner.......

by the way, thanks for the advice on the guns.
Jim McCann
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:48 am  Reply with quote

Fast'

My 1620 works like a fine watch. Glad yours is now as well. Nice little guns.

But what of those patterns you were shooting? These guns seem to all be choked a bit tight. Mine is something like .010 and .018. How about yours? In the few years I've had it I have often thought about sending it off to be opened up, perhaps .004 in the right bbl, but have yet to do it. I just continue to kill birds with it just as it is, although, I think those chokes are too tight for my heavy cover ruff hunting, while they are perfect for open country ptarmigan and sharp-tailed grouse.

Best of luck,

Jim
fastarget
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:59 am  Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

My gun patterns a little high, probably needs a slight comb adjustment, If I could find someone that bends stocks In Colorado I would have it done.
Need to drop the center of the pattern down at 16 yds about 3-4 in ie a drop at comb of about 1/8.

As far as spread, yes, I agree the chokes are a bit tight the IC on mine is closer to an M at 16 yds, the M slightly tight.....I plan on using it as is, and for close shot over pointers and quail, I probably will use spreader loads anyway because I would like to keep from modifying the barrels....

Awsome gun , like it so much I am going to look for a 280.
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

fastarget wrote:

Awsome gun , like it so much I am going to look for a 280.

I told you. Very Happy Wink

fastarget
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

TJC,

You were so right........ Very Happy and I like it.....
Now If I can find an E or EL reasonably priced...... Very Happy Then I am sure it will be another model in a few month.....I understand the " you will sell some of the other guns to uprgrade " now ,,,,yes sir I do.