16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  CZ 16b sxs vs 16b BPS
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

The BPS thread got me to thinking, since the CZ bobwhite 16b is only $200 more, and seems to be a decent entry level sxs (or the Dehaan SO for that matter) for the price, and the same weight as the bps at roughly 7lbs., why isn't the CZ/Dehaan getting the press that the BPS is? Is it the $200 difference in price, or is it that the CZ is Turkish and the Browning, is, well, a Browning? I would guess the latter is probably the case, but I would be curious to hear your thoughts.

I for one am glad that there a couple of options for the entry level crowd. I will probably get a bps at some point, simply because I already own a 12, and it is a very sturdy, reliable workhorse (but weighs 8+ lbs), and fits me very well.
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:39 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
...it is a very sturdy, reliable workhorse ..., and fits me very well.

I think you see why the BPS is getting attention

as for the comparison of the 2 guns, perhaps the CZ/DeHaan aren't getting press over the BPS is due to the apple/oranges thing - sxs is not a pump gun - they are just too different in operation & demographics - 16 bore aside.

I rather like the DeHaan guns except the overdone engraving options - I appreciate the craftsmanship and all, I just like simpler details.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:34 am  Reply with quote

How much press any gun gets is usually based on how much juice the company has with the gun press and how much the company spreads around for advertising revenues, perks, paid seminars and publicity events. Browning has very deep pockets here.

Also, Shotguns are a main product with Browning. The SxS line is a side show for CZ. They are much bigger in rifles and handguns. However, the two CZ Ringnecks I bought last summer are very well made guns for the money IMO. My two have very well built, nice straight, well regulated barrels that shoot as true as any other gun I own. This is an important point a lot of folks overlook when picking a double gun. They are a 28 and a 410 though. I've never handled the 16 ga version, so I'd be off base to say up or down about handling, balance, weight, and shootability.

As far as a pump vs. a double, they are two different concepts. Each has its strong points and its drawbacks. I own a 16 ga. Ithaca 37, two actually, and either shoots very well for me. I also own 16 ga O/U and SxS guns. I think they both have their time and place.

One thing about a pump gun or any single barreled repeater; its a lot easier to get a straight shooting gun, because it has but one barrel. If that barrel is reasonably straight and the rib is on in line, the gun will shoot where you point it every time. Some folks also feel a single barrel is also a bit more precise to point with for longer targets. I'm one of them. I think that is why more waterfowlers, turkey hunters, and quite a few target shooters pick repeaters. The majority of serious trap shooters have always prefered a single barreled trap gun for singles and handicap targets, so there seems to be some basis for this view. Anyway, use the tool that suits you the best. The is no law against either.
RalphEGrant
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

Uncle Dan,

My DeHaan 16ga SO weighs about 6lbs - 3oz and is a terrific shooter. It has double triggers, IC/M barrels, and english stock. I would buy a DeHaan over a CZ because of the terrific service from Mark DeHaan. How many companies can you call and the owner is likely to answer?

It is not a pump of course. Buy one of each!

Brning Cyn Sprting 12ga O/U,
Auto 5 12ga Belg, 16ga BPS, 20ga Citori, Beretta 3901 Target 12ga, AL391 Teknys Gld
DeHaan SO 16ga S2 12ga SXS's, Chaz Daly 20ga SXS, CZ Ringneck 28ga SXS
Rem 1100 .410 Sprting
ICDman
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:58 am  Reply with quote

There is no comparison. The Huglu guns can't be beaten for value. I own a 28ga. Armsco/Huglu and have a .410 CZ Ringneck on layaway.
I have handled the CZ Ringneck in 16ga. and it is very nice. Obviously, the Dehaan gun is mechanically the same.

I don't currently own a .410 and that's the reason for this acquisition. I won't run out of 16ga. guns in this lifetime.
thunderstick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:12 am  Reply with quote

Ralph, are you SURE on the weight of that DeHaan ? I'll be ordering one tomorrow if you're right, as I thought they weighed over 7 lbs. ! How did you get such a light one. I have two other DeHaan in 28 ga, and 16 ga 0/U. I like them both, but I need a SxS in 16 ga. also.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:02 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
same weight as the bps at roughly 7lbs., why isn't the CZ/Dehaan getting the press that the BPS is?

That's easy. Browning has an order of magnitude more writers in it's pocket than CZ could ever dream of. Very Happy

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
RalphEGrant
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:05 am  Reply with quote

Thunderstick,

Sorry about the late reply. Thats what she weighs. I was very surprised when I got it as I was expecting a 7+ lb gun. I have talked to several others who have the 16ga SO and all of theirs is 7+. It must be the wood on this particular piece or something that makes the difference.

Heck, maybe the thing is carved from Balsa Wood, It has about the same amount of figure! Very Happy

Brning Cyn Sprting 12ga O/U,
Auto 5 12ga Belg, 16ga BPS, 20ga Citori, Beretta 3901 Target 12ga, AL391 Teknys Gld
DeHaan SO 16ga S2 12ga SXS's, Chaz Daly 20ga SXS, CZ Ringneck 28ga SXS
Rem 1100 .410 Sprting
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:23 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
...why isn't the CZ/Dehaan getting the press that the (16) BPS is?

I must be living under a cabbage leaf. Where is all this 16ga BPS press? What publications? Can you cut-n-paste them to this forum? I'm sure all other 16ga lovers would appreciate it, too.

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:31 am  Reply with quote

RalphEGrant wrote:
. How many companies can you call and the owner is likely to answer?

I called Do-All Traps at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon about my Aerial Assault. Shane DeAnna, the president answered and we chatted for over half an hour. It took the meaning of customer service to a whole new level.

I would expect other company presidents\owners to be on the golf links at that day and time.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:34 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
I must be living under a cabbage leaf. Where is all this 16ga BPS press? What publications? Can you cut-n-paste them to this forum? I'm sure all other 16ga lovers would appreciate it, too.

Good point. It seemed there was some initial buzz here and elsewhere, but it has certainly died off.

As for the 6.3lb SO, if they were all 6.3 lbs, a lot of us might consider one, although the 7lb version would still be a great clays gun/backup gun.
Equismith
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Good point. It seemed there was some initial buzz here and elsewhere, but it has certainly died off.

That may be because the 16ga BPS was a ShotShow special. If you didn't get an order in by 2/28, you're at the mercy of what dealers bought for retail sales.

Delivery is expected in early fall.

You may search the online gun auction sites for some dealers to sell some off. At what price, who knows...

Miss Libby
Equismith
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_BPS_16gauge.htm

Miss Libby
Equismith
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=98292

Miss Libby
Equismith
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/itemdetails.asp?value=011B&cat_id=012&type_id=211&item=012211514

Miss Libby