16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Universal Charge Bar data
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

I have an older Universal Charging Bar and the tables do not include adjustment data for Universal Clays powder. If anyone has data the settings for this powder I would appreciate it if you could send it my way at: djr@tctwest.net.
Thanks,
Jim Schultz
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:34 am  Reply with quote

I've found the dial markings only good for getting you in the "ball park". Depending on if you are using a powder baffle and even the leve of vibration while working your reloader will affect your powder drops. If you don't have one now, I would highly recomend that you pick up a reliable balance scale to check your shot and powder loads. While you're at it, make sure you have some weights to verify you weight settings.
SShooterZ
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:43 am  Reply with quote

Terry Imai wrote:
I've found the dial markings only good for getting you in the "ball park". Depending on if you are using a powder baffle and even the leve of vibration while working your reloader will affect your powder drops. If you don't have one now, I would highly recomend that you pick up a reliable balance scale to check your shot and powder loads. While you're at it, make sure you have some weights to verify you weight settings.

What he said. Smile
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

What he said twice.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:22 pm  Reply with quote

Even after setting the bar another factor involving drop weights is lot to lot consistency-----or lack of Embarassed
jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Thank you all very much, one is never to old to learn.
A small confession: I have owned a model C Universal Charge Bar for about 12 years and until just recently, started using it. I Initially bought it for 28 Ga and found that I had the perfect bushings, so the UCB stayed new in the box.
My new press (the old press is a Lee Load All) came with three unusable powder bushings and so I dialed in the UCB and checked the powder load on the scale every three rounds for the first box. Each load weighed exactly as dialed. After three boxes using the same powder settings with different hulls and primers, I have what I believe is a very good patterning load for my brand new 16 Ga. now I am scared and will double check the weights for both powder and shot.
If the UCB is not stable, why use it? It sounds as if I should order out a set of bushings and any shot bar that I think I may need. Comments please.
311A 16ga
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:32 am  Reply with quote

There is a little 'slop' between the adjusting knob and the moveable portion of the bar. There is a small locking screw for each knob which needs to be loosened before attempting an adjustment and also must be re-tightened after a correct setting is achieved.

If the set screws are not tightened the adjustment will change through the bumps and drag that occur when throwing powder/shot charges.
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

When you use the Universal Charging Bar, there are different models for a single stage and progressive unit. Depending upon the reloading and how much they "shake" their unit can drastically affect the drops for both shot and powder. Try to get into a rythmn that you'll think you work with a take a periodic sampling every third or four powder drop (it seems lead shot in #8 and 9 or not as affect with vibrattion as much as even *6 and 7 1/2 oz. When you get to larger shot I do notice some variations, so I keep a half shot full small pill bottle to addd or remove extra shot. After running 1/2 box of ammo, I find the powder gets set and I use the "set" screw to tighten the powder and shot screw knobs. Make sure you keep your powder tubes at least 1/2 full at all times since powder needs that extra downward forces to maintain proper drops. It seems you can go slightly lower with your shot tubes before refillings. Als refere back to your MEC guides on the proper care and maintenance especially with lubricating with grease on the proper pivot points along if your reloading has a collet for brase resizing needs to be regreased every 1 to 2K of reloads.

Good luck....
jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

I ran another box of shells through the press and this time I weighed each shot and powder drop from the UCB. All were consistently the same, except that each time the shot was exactly one #7 pellet to much. I must be very lucky because after changing both the powder and shot settings and weighing each as they came out of the bar, the UCB continued to throw consistently.
Once again, thank you all for the valuable information. I will continue to check the powder and shot weights as I attempt to find the best pattern/performance loads for my shotgun.
Very Happy
rizzini 16
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

A pellet here, a pellet there...whats the difference among friends?
No, really. I use the Univ. Charge bar in my MEC 9000 16 g. with pretty good luck. I make my own notes on the "actual" powder weights dropped at various settings, for various powders. Their chart is Only a starting point. And there IS play in the adjustment wheels.
One more thing- Check your bar travel adjustment. Make sure the bar is coming far enough LEFT to get the powder aperture right underneth the\powder stream. I screwed up 4 boxes one day not checking.
Rizz 16.