16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Best outfit to work on Model 12 Winchesters??
Setterchaser
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

Need new chamber rings, solid ribs, left hand ejectors/springs, etc to get my model 12's ship shape (yes...includes my 16 ga m12)..

So far, checking out NuLine, Simmons, Andy's Custom Shop, and Wrights...All sound like good folks..but when it comes to turning my M12's over to someone I want great smithing.

Any experiece with these outfits? I like the idea of Simmons since they have smiths on board with about 30 to 40 years experience working on Win m12's. Probably worked on more Winchesters than Winchester. They say they can do the solid rib installation job and actually quote lower sticker prices than the other outfits. For some reason, I am kinda jumpy about Nuline.

Keeping an open mind (real trick for me)...what is your advice..much appreciated in advance.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

The word I hear is no one does better work than Andy's Custom Shop.
I have no experience, but I've heard this for years. However I think he's slowing down on what he does.

walt lister
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

Also check out--
http://www.winrest.com/
Make sure to click on the five for five thread, it's quite a story.

Setterchaser
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

Winchester Restoration looks like something from another era...a really beautiful era! The guns pictured are works of art and the story about 5 for 5 makes me want to just keep all my m12 winchesters in their original "field" config, forget the ribs, and appreciate the amazing phenomenon of the M12. It is true by the way...no gun (that I have ever shot at least) comes close to the natural perfection of the M12...Hmm.. i'm starting to sound like a 1940's advertisement for Winchester...

thanks for the recommendations..and the lesson learned...
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:30 am  Reply with quote

I have dealt with John Kay many times and his work is excellent. Call him up -- a very nice guy who takes the time to answer all your questions Wink
Roadkill
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:54 am  Reply with quote

Stu Wright. First-class work in a reasonable timeframe and a reasonable cost. I have dealt with him several times and would not hesitate to do so again.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:37 am  Reply with quote

walt lister wrote:
Also check out--
http://www.winrest.com/
Make sure to click on the five for five thread, it's quite a story.

I called this guy about a month ago. He told me he no longer works on guns. Say's he's getting to old for it. Sad

Setterchaser
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Wrights it is. Talked with them and they are really squared away. Nuline and Simmons have both changed ownership but Wrights is the same family as always and they really know what they are talking about. It took me 15 minutes to explain "matting" on solid ribs to the chap I talked to at Simmons. Probably a fill in to answer the phones.

I am going to skip the solid rib thing since only Andys has the original milling gear for cutting the matting correctly (that I can find among the folks I talked to) but Andy is not answering his phone. Probably too busy.

Really love the "5 for 5" story... and if anyone ever has the chance to find a M12 16 with 26" IC barrel...don't ask questions...just grab it. I wish I had one. My M12 (12 ga) with 26" IC barrel handles at least as good as my H&H SXS Dominion...which is really saying something...and the M12 cost a bit less.

Thanks for the Wisdom.Maybe 16 Ga shooters are just smarter?
walt lister
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

I've poster this pic before but since you are a #12 fan here's some eye candy. Took over 20 years to put the set together.Top to bottom---
#97 12ga (1908)
#12 12ga (1931)
#1912 16ga (1921)
#1912 20ga 2bbl set (1914)
All are Black Diamond grade, all but the #97 have solid ribs.
Now sort of looking for a #97 16ga Black Diamond to complete the set.

Setterchaser
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

Walt...what a lovely set of M12 (and 97)'s...i confess that I have never even held a "black diamond" gun...but the stock shapes on the early guns you have are works of art...no wonder the USA took to them....interesting how some things are just "right"..to the eye, hand and soul...for sure, this is how your guns look to me.

We always had to stretch to buy guns when I was a kid...so there was lots of very careful looking and long thought out decisions...my Dad went for the A-5 and I went for the M12...for us, these were top end. IMO, they still are. I stil have my Dad's "Best Gun"...it is a light 20 A-5...still in great shape..he babied that gun even though we hunted in salt marsh on the Texas/Lousiana coast. I wore all the blueing off my M12 and had it reblued about 40 years ago...a "heavy duck" gun (still have it). Dad would send me ahead as we slugged through the marsh to our blind and I jump shot mallards at 50 yards. But I never did best him on shooting mallards over decoys from the blind..deadly with that little 20 bore hump back...choked full, of course.