16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Heip 16 guage Experts - What choke is this?
Yentzen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

sbs470
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Yentzen
I've been sitting here trying to get a good look at these proofs,even turned the screen sideways also hav a jewellers head loup'e on trying for a better look.
Working from right to left
E over LG over star in oval with crown. = on barrels of breech loading shotguns that have passed final black powder proof.( 146 grns of BP )
16 over c in diamond = 16 gauge the c denotes chamber.
the next looks like the Perron mark which is placed on all barrels that have passed the final black powder proof to which all shotgun barrels must be submitted.
sorry I can't make out any thing after that

"EUREKA" ( A greek word signifing I have found it)
I will quote directley from the book
"Those barrels which passed first or temporary proof ,were then measured and the suitable gauge was then stamped on them.According to proof rules of 1888 ,as well as those of 1923 ,the gauge indicated on the unfinished barrel could not be enlaged during polishing by more than 0.008 inch should a bore enlagement become apparent during final proofing ,the gun had to be re-proofed with a load suitable for the enlaged bore .After final proof ,the gauge was marked on the barrel, and changing this mark resulted in a penalty . Shouls a marking be destroyed or damaged accidentlly, the gun had to be submitted for re-proof "

this is why your barrel has the two bore sizes .I'm sure the other marks would show that it has been reproofed
good shooting
sbs470
Yentzen
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:54 am  Reply with quote

sbs470 wrote:
Yentzen
I've been sitting here trying to get a good look at these proofs, sbs470

Not one of my best pictures Embarassed Left to right Date code (Fancy T with a star over it.) BTW this is also the mark on the bottom of the barrel that is hard to see. Smokeless powder proof, Date code again. Perron. Diamond with 16C inside, E OVER LG crown.
XVI'er
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

Let's see, my mudbug. You harvested a gobbler; you patterned your A-5 with 6"s;and you found out it has a 100% pattern at 40 yards. That might means you might just have located one of the rarest A-5's in the world. Irma Buckingham's 16 bore duck gun!!!!!! Shocked

My brother, all you need now is provenance and you have a genuine piece of the golden age of waterfowling! My congratulations to you, Yentzen, my man! Don't let it get out of your sight. My friend, Ole Southern Lawyer, and I can form a syndicate and display the gun all over the world! You'll be rich, famous, and Paris Hilton will be calling you for a date!!!!! Wink

Just one question. You did pattern it.......didn't you?
Yentzen
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

XVI'er wrote:

Just one question. You did pattern it.......didn't you?

Yes I did. 92% at 40 yards and shoots just a tad high. After 45 days in jail even Paris might find me a looker. Laughing