16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Question about ammo for Winchester Model 12
ckirk
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:30 am  Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Model 12 in 16 gauge. The serial numbers put it's manufacture date at about 1918. Overall, it is in fine mechanical shape. My neighbor (lucky me) is a gunsmith and gave it a clean bill of health. He says it should be okay to shoot modern 2 9/16" shells through it. This is the first time I have consulted with him on a gun, so my faith in him is not unwavering.

Anybody have recommendations on suitable shells for old Model 12's? It is chambered for 2 9/16" and you fine folks on this board have educated me on where to buy. But my question is, should I be concerned about the velocities produced by modern shells producing too much pressure in this old gun. The B & P website listed velocities around 1200 fps for their 16 ga. target shells. So, how much is too much for an 89 year Model 12 with a nickel steel barrel?

My wife is pestering me to order some shells so she can go shoot some skeet with her "new" antique. BTW, since joining this board I am averaging one 16 gauge acquisition a month. Thankfully, for my bank account, I've only been here 2 months. If this keeps up, I may need to find a second job to support my habit. Laughing
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:11 am  Reply with quote

That gun will handle any 2-1/2" or 2-9/16" load that you buy from B&P, Gamebore, or RST. I don't think I'd shoot steel in it, she's probably choked pretty tight. Wink As for your bank account, I feel your pain. Sad

ckirk
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. No plans for steel shot. My wife likes skeet and upland bird hunting, so it will be fed a steady diet of lead. It is choked modified with a 26 inch barrel. I was looking for an I.C. with the 26 in. barrel, but those are hard to come by. This M 12 with a 26 inch barrel and modified choke was priced right and clean. So, I went a bidding.

Thanks again.