16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Citori 16 malfunction
wildweasel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

Folks, I call upon the collective wisdom of this venerable organization.....Hope someone has an idea about this one.

Took my 16ga citori lightning feather out today to shoot skeet for the very first time. On the last station, on my next to last shot, my shotgun locked in the open position. I could not force it closed with reasonable strength. I was able to take the forend off and reassemble the gun to a closed position. I reset the pins, dry fired it ok a few times and took a couple more shots and it happened again. Discouraged, I took a beat up loner 12 ga 325 and finished the day, distracted to mediocrity.

This gun has had about 3k rounds on it in the last 12 months since I got it - functioned beautifully. While I clean and lube the main parts well, I've never gotten inside the receiver for any reason.

Any ideas? Recommendations? Crying or Very sad
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

I'd take it to a gunsmith, never heard anything like that happening, but I just got my Citori, and it maybe has had only 100 rounds thru it so far..... some of these other guys who shoot 'em a lot might have an idea, but it sounds weird for sure..... good luck,

brit

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:38 am  Reply with quote

WW, Send it back to Browning in Arnold, MO.. It is well within the company's warranty period and they will fix it no charge. Taking it to anyone but a Browning authorized warranty station will put your coverage ( not to speak of the gun) in jeapardy. don't risk it. the Arnold facility will make it right without risk to you.
britgun
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:28 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
WW, Send it back to Browning in Arnold, MO.. It is well within the company's warranty period and they will fix it no charge. Taking it to anyone but a Browning authorized warranty station will put your coverage ( not to speak of the gun) in jeapardy. don't risk it. the Arnold facility will make it right without risk to you.

....sound advice....

brit

TJC
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

OR, check and see if there is a Browning warranty shop any where here in NJ or area. Wink

wildweasel
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

I called G&H - where I bought it last year - and they said to bring it back to them which I did this afternoon. They said they would take care of it but wouldn't commit to claiming it as warranty work but they have a very good reputation. Also, I was not the original owner so I don't know if the warrenty extended to me. But, I did get the same advice about sending it to Browning from my friend who was shooting with me on Sunday when it happened. I guess I'm less patient. Hopefully, I dont have to regret that.

I was wondering if something like that has ever happened to anyone here or if anyone had any idea what that could be?

On a side note, while in G&H, I picked up a copy of black's wing and clay 2007 and on page 73...an ad for the 16 ga society!

They also had a nice citori 16ga lightning for 1700.
TJC
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

I don't think you can go wrong with G&H doing the repair, even if you have to pay for it. Paul and his crew do nice work. Very Happy

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:46 am  Reply with quote

I was in their Bernardsville, NJ store last spring for the first time. I have to admit to feeling like a bull in a china shop...i feared touching anything in case they said, "You bumped it, you just bought it." I found it hard NOT to tremble holding a $50K double rifle.

TJC
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:33 am  Reply with quote

onefunzr2 wrote:
I was in their Bernardsville, NJ store last spring for the first time. I have to admit to feeling like a bull in a china shop...i feared touching anything in case they said, "You bumped it, you just bought it." I found it hard NOT to tremble holding a $50K double rifle.

They do have some items in the store and at top prices. Wink

Scolari
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:00 am  Reply with quote

I own two Citori's. Never had anything like that happen. I would agree to send it to Browning if there is not authorized repair shop near you. Last year I had to have a trigger release spring replaced on a 3 year old Citori. I took it to an authorized repair facility and they fixed it for nothing. He considered it still under waranty. Both of my Citori's are all steel I'm not sure how the aluminum frames hold up. I chose to stay with all steel construction as I shoot a lot of shells through them at clay games.
wildweasel
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:57 am  Reply with quote

Interesting point. While the receiver is alloy, I wonder if some of the parts inside are made of lighter materials in the feather model and could be less durable or more prone to jamming? It's a possibilty, I guess.

The lightning model they had there had a real solid feel, maybe because it's just a bit heavier. Pretty well broken in too.

I know how you feel in the G&H store because they carry some real high end stuff and the store is set up more like a gun boutique than a sporting store. But, here in NJ, places like that, where you can walk in and just handle shotguns and rifles on racks are extremely rare. The folks in there are nice and helpful too. Never got any snooty attitude in there.

Thanks all for help and advice!
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:04 am  Reply with quote

WW:
I feel your pain. I just purchased a Citori 525 Sporting in 16 ga. about two months ago. After less than 500 rounds through it, the reciever was loose, and the stock cracked. I shipped it off to Arnold (cost me $47.00). And they said it would be a minimum of two months turn around time. And, if that weren't bad enough...they said they weren't sure it would be covered under warranty until they inspected the gun. What kind of crap is that? $3,000.00 for a new Browning...and within two months it starts to fall apart...and they're not sure if it's covered?? I'm hoping this will all turn out on the bright side....but I'm still pissed. Mostly because I have to be without my skeet gun for two months + . Good luck with your Citori. Keep us posted on how it all turns out.
Nantan

ckirk
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:34 am  Reply with quote

WW & NANTAN2,

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I, too, just sent a brand new (less than 2 months old) Citori to the Arnold facility for repairs. After 3 rounds of skeet, the gun started to rattle each time I opened and closed the breech. It sounded as if there was gravel rolling through the barrels. I assumed that something came loose between the barrels. A call to Arnold seemed to confirm my belief ("probably loose solder...send it in and we'll take a look"). The service rep was very non-committal as to how it would be repaired and estimated six to eight weeks before I see the gun again.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed. All in all, I shouldn't be too upset. I have owned dozens of shotguns from a multitude of manufacturers and have never experienced a defect or problem that was the manufacturer's fault. Hopefully Browning will rectify our Citori problems.

Best of luck to you both and keep us posted on the resolution,

Chris
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:30 am  Reply with quote

A while back, I posted a rather long one about how I have handled similar situations with several different companies. My main point was that while it can be upsetting to have to wait to get the gun back, its best to remain very calm, civil, and friendly to the service rep on the phone. He is just an "ear". He is there to assist you in getting the gun to the right people. He also has a script he must stick to. He can't fix your gun or determine what is warranty work and what is not. If anyone vents at a customer service rep, he is shooting himself right in the foot. His superviser or someone higher up is the guy to go to if things get sticky.

The rep hired to answer phone calls is your first, and could very well be your only conduit to get your info about the gun to the right party. Keep him on your side and make him feel like he's really helping you. Get his name write it down, and use it to thank him. Let him know you will be relying on him for his assistance in a way that makes him want to help you, not hang up or just shine you on your way. Yes, it is his job. Make it a pleasure for him to help you and he'll do it with pleasure.

One other point. There is more than one service rep working for any facility at any one time. if you really feel you've drawn a jerk to deal with, pleasantly excuse yourself, hangup, and keep recalling until you get a pleasant one who sounds more into his job and more personable. Why try to win over a guy who is not happy with his job. He probably won't be there long enough to do either of you any good anyway. Just my take on things. It always has worked for me in dealing with any reputable company warranty issue.

PS, I have never, repeat, never had Browning America screw me over. I have always gotten fair treatment and sometimes, more than fair treatment. They are a huge gun company with many thousands of customers to deal with. they might need time to do it right, but if you are pleasant and persistant, they will do whatever it takes to make you happy.
ckirk
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:20 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
A while back, I posted a rather long one about how I have handled similar situations with several different companies. My main point was that while it can be upsetting to have to wait to get the gun back, its best to remain very calm,...

Wow 16 GG, thanks for the diatribe on phone etiquette and cutomer service relations. Just what I needed to see after sharing my sympathies with other 16 gauge fans that experienced unfortunate events related to their new Browning Citoris.

Congratulations, I think you just made me a Rizzini fan. Grazie, Grazie! Laughing