16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  3" Chambered 16ga.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:27 am  Reply with quote

I know there has been some discussion on the 3" 16ga. before. Here's a gun chambered for one!

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/picture.php?id=12397

Matt
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:55 am  Reply with quote

Why would a Fowling gun be choked Skt #1 and Imp.Cyc ?
Hunting over decoys, or someone has opened the chokes. Crying or Very sad

Scolari
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

I wonder if it was chambered for 3 inch shells in hopes they would make the ammunition for it. You know if there was such a thing as a 3 in 16 gauge, I probably wouldn't need any other gun.
laxcoach
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Scolari, In fact the 3" shells were made for a short period of time. I believe Winchester was the manufacturer (Researcher discussed this topic at length some time ago), and there were a few Win 21's chambered 3". I own the only reported 3" 16 ga. L C Smith .
carpe dm
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:50 am  Reply with quote

This may be a 3" gun, or someone might have "openned" the forcing cones so that it seems like a long chamber. Confused Question

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:53 am  Reply with quote

I would agree with Scolari. A modern 3" 16 could do it all, including ducks/geese. The perfect "one gun" solution, especially if it weighed no more than 6.75 lbs. I'm surprised the 3" idea didn't catch on. If it worked for the 12 and 20, why not the 16?
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:20 am  Reply with quote

I would think it might be something to consider for manufacturers. Everyone I know has several shotguns and just aren't too interested in buying another one. I'm trying to get down to just a few. A 3 inch 16 with some good ammunition offerings just might create some demand for a new shotgun. I would buy one and sell off a few more of mine.
Rabbitdog
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:13 am  Reply with quote

I have a two year old, Italian made Charles Daly O/U. 16 ga. ( They are now made by the Turks.) It came from the factory with 3" chambers. The
Charles Daly people tell me that many European builders chamber their new 16 bore guns for 3 ". And that 3" factory ammo is popular and available
in Europe. Some loaded for 1 1/4 oz loads. I've never tried to buy any. I don't know that I ever will. If I need that much lead I'll use a larger bore.
Plus, I don't think it would be any fun in a 6 lb. gun !

Rabbitdog.....

Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Confused I guess I see no great need for a "magnum" 16 gauge. A guy can successfully hunt almost all game with the standard loads, and heavier loads in a 16 of a nice weight would really tend to whack you. I agree with Mr. Rabbitdog that if a hunter plans to shoot 1 1/4 oz or bigger loads regularly, a 12 gauge is the choice- that's what it's made for. If the gun manufacturers decided to come out with 16 gauge shotguns with 3" chambers, I would think that they would tend to build in extra heft also for safety, and the sweetness of the 16 would not be there anymore (the guns could be like the recent Rem 870s which were 16 gauges as heavy as 12s). I'd rather the gunmakers came out with more 16 gauge guns built to handle the standard loads which have worked so well for so long. This type of lighter-than-12-gauge gun is what makes the 16 gauge so nice.

Jesse168
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

Back in the 70's Federal & Winchester use to manufacture a 2 3/4" magnum load with 1 1/4 oz of shot. I used many of them for duck hunting they were a great load.

The Federal & Winchester 1 1/4 oz magnum shells were both paper hulls.

Jesse

gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

Federal has offered a 1-1/4 oz. short magnum in purple plastic for as long as I've shot a 16 ga. (since 1990) and probably quite a bit longer. These are buffered loads of 4s and 6s that they describe as "copper-plated". At 3-1/4 dr. eq. this is the equivalent of a 12 ga. pigeon load. They produce fine patterns from my SK1-SK2 M-21, and recoil isn't at all uncomfortable in a 6-3/4 lb. gun. But I'd not want to shoot them through a really lightweight gun.