16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Sxs or O/U?
mrosspa
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

What to buy next?

Let me explain my question. I've a 16G semi auto that I use for SITTING in a duck blind, now I want a gun for upland game.

Remember, I'm not a rich man.

I grew up in a time where the sxs didn't have screw in chokes, and a OU was owned by a rich man with no children. Since I've no experience with an OU, so I tend to be partial to sxs but willing to consider a different style. I was told that if one shoots trap and skeet an OU is more accurate. What is your experience?

Can you recommend 16G SXS or OU that I can shoot steel out of if needed, won't be too heavy to carry in the field, and are reliable?

Are screw in chokes that useful for upland game or would it be better to buy extra barrels?

Do you find a SXS or OU is more comfortable to carry in the field?

I only shoot clays as a method of honing my skills for field work.

I'm used to double triggers. How reliable do you find the single triggers to be?

Thanks,

hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

Keep the semi for ducks. Far as what caries better, I'm down to 1 o/u in 20ga a beretta bl-5 that my g-friend has taken over. It carries great. The 1/2 doz 16 sxs all carry good also. You can pick up any number of great sxs in the 500-2k range(yea I know it's a big spread) new or used. Dehann's , CZ's(new) theh used list goes on and on. Contenintal is possibly the best value, but it might be g=belguim guns.
Far as steel, better off with bismiuth for th older stuff

3DocPop
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

I am sure that other, more knowledgeable shooters will weigh in on this, but here is what I think I know:

OU more accurate? Probably not more, or for that matter less accurate than SxS, but certainly more comfortable for shooting many rounds because of the greater weight.

A few weeks ago, I shot four rounds of trap and skeet, first two with 16 ga Sterlingworth, last with 12 ga 870 Express. Beautiful bruise. Monday, five rounds, all through the 16 ga Spartan OU. No bruise at all. It seems the general concensus is OU for clay games, SxS for hunting upland game.

I can say that double/single trigger kind of messed me up. With my 870, I never look for the second trigger, possibly because I am busy shucking the action - but on skeet doubles Monday, with the single trigger OU, caught myself several times looking for the back trigger Embarassed

By the way, what is your ballpark budget? It might help the members to give you advice on a decent gun, that will fit what you want to spend.

3DocPop
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:00 am  Reply with quote

Either way, you can't go wrong. For the uplands, I would prefer a lighter gun. That's just my opinion. I'll shoot clays with any gun. For me though, clays are only practice for the real thing. For others, clays are the real thing.

As for chokes, I never felt at a disadvantage with imp/mod. Middle age has slowed down my response time slightly, and even with imp/mod, I still do very well. (And less shot up meat). I also prefer 2 triggers.

Ignore all the advice about which brand to buy or avoid, and just find one that fits you best.

One last thing... the good Lord did not give you eyes stacked one on top of the other. He gave you your eyes... side by each!!!

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:13 am  Reply with quote

yea, what PGG said. Get the best(whatever that means) fit, then finish, then brand. doesn't do any good to have a Daly(or even a sauer) if itdoesn't hit where you aim. Also beware of "project" guns. you know the , I found this nice shooter for $(fill in the blank) it's just a little of face. oh yea the lop is to long/short, and it really needs a refinish or a restock. And while I'm at it ne case colors.................. Been there, doing it. it's not economical

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:23 am  Reply with quote

Here my opion on your questions: I don't like choke tubes in a SxS. 2 different chokes and 2 triggers -- that'll cover it all. If not then I have to buy another gun Laughing Clays with an OU is not more accurate you just see the target better and shot target better all around -- works for me. As far as shooting steel goes, forget it. Steel is crap and does not kill well. I shoot lots of geese and duck and bismuth is the only ticket. As far as gun weight goes I like heavier guns a difference of 3 or 8 oz. means nothing. If a guy can't carry a heavy 7 1/2 lb. gun then he can stay home or find something else to do. Weight seems to be a big issue nowadays. Single triggers are OK in a OU for clays. My hunting is done 85% with SxS with double triggers. If your used to 2-triggers then a single in a SxS would feel unnatural to you. Sounds to me you'd be happier with a nice used American made SxS of which there are many of looking for a home, just shop and be picky. You can find a nice 16 ga. NID, Elsie or Parker Trojan for $ 750 to $ 1500. Get what you want cause I for one don't wanna be lookin down when they bury me saying,"dam wish I'd bought that gun back in 07" Exclamation
britgun
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

....get one of each.... Very Happy

mrosspa
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

Good stuff guys. I wanted to spend up to $2000, but would rather keep it below $1000. That may not be reasonable.

Captain Billy, what are some of the American guns you were talking about. It the gun is older, what about parts to repair it?

Michael

TJC
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

Spend the most $$ you can afford. You'll appreciate what you get and will most likely be happier for a longer time with it.

Remember, you're only passing through. Wink

Also, Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun.

Last edited by TJC on Tue May 08, 2007 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

britgun
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

Dude, get a Dehaan, and then some vintage side by side..... don't worry, there are guys around who can fix this stuff reasonably, like get a Nitro Special ( Lefever), heck, maybe even 2 Nitros, or one Nitro and one Stevens 311, or one Citori and one Nitro or Stevens, your pref.... or an Ithaca NID and a DeHaan.... all of the above suggested combos come out to around 2 large, and then you can have both an O/U AND an S by S, you could even maybe get an L C Smith field and a DeHaan (Gulf Coast guns has a couple reasonable L C's) or the DeHaan and then some continental side by side job, like German, French or Belgian..... just go for it, and then trade off what you don't like and try something else, heck dude, you gotta just jump in.... don't get analysis paralysis..... surf's up, man .... (tryin' some southern cal stuff on ya so you can relate to me better, like, totally righteous, my fine man....buy a gun!)... Very Happy

Duncan

Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

If you want to spend 2K or less my honest opinion is to stick with the O/U. For the money the best deals can be had in the Citori line. The Citoris are stupid reliable and the represent a good dollar to value ratio.

Another good choice is the Rizzini. British Sporting arms has one for sale. I have one just like it. It's very reliable and comes with fixed chokes. PM me if you want to shoot it sometime.
jig
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:39 pm  Reply with quote

I've also read that during recoil the O/U has advantages also in the way the bbls flex, mitigating recoil a bit more, as well as, making the 2nd or follow up shot easier to obtain and track on. SXS bbls recoil path is somewhat side ways and down. O/U recoil as I understand it is more upward and straight out, allowing for faster target acquisition on shot number two.

One advantage of the SXS it has been said, is the way it contrasts with a dark or brushy background, therfore allowing for easier viewing of target with it's broader sighting plane. You can also reload a SXS faster than an o/u because the gun doesnt have to break open as far. Any of this important...probably not. It's really all on what you get most familiar and comfortable with. Again, it must be said; "Beware of the man with only one gun". For pure aethetics I'm in the SXS camp, but admittedly, shoot o/u's better - dang it. That has changed over time because when I was a youngster I shot the SXS better, but it was all I had and was too ignorant to know any better. Again, referr to the above quote. If I could only just abide by it myself.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:27 am  Reply with quote

I have had both o/u's (two Weatherby Orion o/u's; very heavy-not good upland guns) and sxs's, and I Much prefer the sxs, even for clays. Do I shoot clays for $? No. And if I did, I might change my mind and go to an o/u, but even then, maybe not. I have no problem seeing the target with a sxs. If it fits you well, all you should see is the bead and maybe a bit of rib anyway. For me personally, I shoot just as well if not better with a sxs than any o/u I have shot. I also like how stable they are laterally. And, of course, aesthetically, there's no comparison in my opinion. Sxs's are just plain elegant and beautiful and look the way a shotgun should look. My two cents.

As for what to get, since you mentioned upland, a 16 sxs at 6.75lbs or less is glorious. Both svelte and powerful at the same time. Continental (French or Belgian especially) guns tend to be lighter than American guns for some reason, with many 16's in the 5.75lb-6.5lb. range. Lots of good buys out there in the $700-$1500 range also. DoubleGunHQ in Canby, OR has a few worth looking at.

I agree with britgun - just dive in! You'll be hooked. Very Happy
XVI'er
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

As a recent convert to the SxS,I will say that you will be able to find more 16 bore in Game Gunconfiguration, weight and stock fit proportionate, in a SxS.

I shot O/U's for over 30 years and it caused me to become a better shooter because it demands better gun handling. I recently purchased a SxS 16 bore, and find it too demands slightly different handling.

It boils down to this: SxS- more choices. O/U- fewer choices. I shoot one about as well as the other, but I do have a preference when it comes to hunting: SxS 16bore- period.
XVI'er
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

mrosspa, my brother from the left coast, I tried to compose a response in a short form and it sounds so clinical . I'll try to do better now.

Follow britgun, hunshatt, Pgg, and Uncle Dan's advice. Forget screw chokes and steel shot. We're talking upland here not waterfowl! If you can't kill it with i/cyl or mod, you aren't talking upland .Forget O/u's. Unless you can find a double trigger Rizzini, with 28" barrels at 6 1/2 #get a SxS, brother! Wink

A SxS is a demanding mistress, but she get into your blood! Right, guys?[/i]