16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Fulton
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:55 am  Reply with quote

I picked up another 16, a Hunter Arms Fulton. 28", choked at .020/.034, with longer forcing cones than I expected in an older sxs and reasonable stock dimensions also, about 1-5/8 x 2-3/4.I haven't heard a lot about the Fulton, but it seems to be a solid, well-built utility gun. Does anyone have any experience with one?
Thanks
Bill
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:06 am  Reply with quote

I think Larry Brown wrote an article on the Fulton gun, as well as other "economy" doubles for Shooting Sportsman magazine a few months ago. I'm sure he'll be around shortly with more info.

Enjoy it in good health.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:32 am  Reply with quote

Check these threads:
http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=11076&page=1#Post11076
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=10012&page=14#Post10012

The Fulton was introduced in 1915, the Fulton Special in 1916, and had engraving. In 1935 a Non-Selective one-Trigger was added to the Fulton gun. 1938 The Fulton Special was available with Beavertail Forend and Non-Selective One-Trigger. The .410 was also added to the Fulton and Fulton Special.
The 16g chambers were not lengthened from 2 9/16" until around 1939, so your's may have been re-cut (which is a good thing.)
The Fulton line was discontinued in 1945.

Here are some disassembly tips:
The barrel has a cocking catch that can hang up.
1) With the forend on (completely assembled gun) ensure the gun is cocked by openning and closing the action. Do this with the muzzles down, nearly vertical. This will unload the cocking catch in the barrels from the reciever mechanism.
2) give the gun a rap on the butt or bump the muzzles on a carpeted floor (muzzles down still).
3) pull the forend off, while keeping the muzzles down. (keep the hammers cocked)
4) push the toplever to the right all the way and remove the barrels. If it starts to hang on the catch, ease up on the breaking open and push the barrels back a bit then pull them forward against the hingepin again and continue to break it open. This last action tends to push the cocking catch in the barrels forward and releases it from the mechanism in the frame. KEEP THE MUZZLES DOWN DURING THIS STEP.

Fultons are solid utility boxlocks like the Ithaca Lefever Nitro Special and are actually a little less...uh...delicate...than the sidelock LC Smiths. You've got yourself a nice gun Very Happy

carpe dm
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:53 am  Reply with quote

I had one and liked it. However, I wish the revdocdrew had sent me the dissassembly directions then! Rolling Eyes Make a copy of his comments for future use!! Wink

M D Christian
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Up until a couple of years ago, the Fultons and Hunter Special, were the best kept secret in double gun value for the money,, The case colors usually hold up better than most. They used the cyanide process, rather than the bone charcoal method. The Hunter Special is finished a little better than the Fulton, with the Smith rotary bolt and a grip cap.. MDC
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

They are sweet little guns; looked long and hard at a 2* (unmentionable gauge) before I found my Sterlingworth. Prolly woulda bought it if the stock hadn't been f'd up. For the money they are a great gun!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:21 am  Reply with quote

Sometimes you can catch a "sleeper" Fulton. Hunter Arms also made them for Sears, marked "Ranger". You have to know the difference between a Fulton and a Stevens, however, because a lot of the Rangers were Stevens. But the 3 big screws in a triangle pattern in the bottom of the receiver are a dead giveaway it's a Fulton.

Brophy says only something like 55,000 Fultons were made. I've always thought that number may very well be low, given how long Fultons were in production, and the fact that quite a few were made for Sears.

The Hunter Special MD mentions, on the other hand, is a pretty darned rare gun. I'd be surprised if more than about 5,000 of those were made. Very short production life, late 30's, like the Lefever A Grade.
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks again Larry - I'm loving the one you traded in - looking for more too
Eric Cioe
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

I've got one that I picked up a month ago as my first shotgun after becoming interested (at age 19 - too late!) in birdhunting. At least I started right - with an old 16ga sxs.

I paid $269 for it. The gun shop I bought it from had a Stevens 311A in 12 gauge for a bit more than this thing, so I assume they didn't know that know anything about this gun other than that it was an old American side-by-each. I've seen them for sale for nearly $1000. That said, I'm pretty sure mine has a replacement stock because it has no checkering, even though the foreend is checkered. Still, it's got the Prince of Wales grip, and is cut just like the pictures of the original stocks I've seen.

The aciton on this thing is tight - almost too tight. The blueing is absolutely beatiful, and the bores are clean without pitting. I may have a new stock put on, hopefully with a bit better of a job this time, but it isn't really necessary.

Overall, I think they are nice guns and if you can find one as cheap as I found mine, you ought to jump on it. It's pretty light, has a splinter (aka good) foreend, double triggers (thank god), and are classic upland guns. I'm quite happy with mine.

gspchip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:18 am  Reply with quote

I picked up a Hunter Special 16ga with single trigger in really nice shape on auction arms a few months ago.... I really like the feel of the gun.... I recut the checkering and was all that was needed except for a little trigger work...

I have not had much of a chance to shoot it but plan on it soon....also the grouse season is not too far off in SD......plan on really putting it to the test then.....

The gun feels very solid and I have never handled a double that sounds and feels so solid and secure when closing the barrels .... might have paid a bit much for mine but at this point I am very pleased with it.....

I wonder how many Hunter Specials with the single trigger might have been made....
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:51 am  Reply with quote

From L.C. Smith "The Legend Lives" there were only 1,777 16g Hunter Specials made between 1937 and 1945; no data regarding single vs. double triggers.

Eric Cioe
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:13 am  Reply with quote

gspchip wrote:
I picked up a Hunter Special 16ga with single trigger in really nice shape on auction arms a few months ago.... I really like the feel of the gun.... I recut the checkering and was all that was needed except for a little trigger work...

I have not had much of a chance to shoot it but plan on it soon....also the grouse season is not too far off in SD......plan on really putting it to the test then.....

The gun feels very solid and I have never handled a double that sounds and feels so solid and secure when closing the barrels .... might have paid a bit much for mine but at this point I am very pleased with it.....

I wonder how many Hunter Specials with the single trigger might have been made....

Sounds like you found a great gun, except for that trigger problem. Wink

You mentioned that you may have overpaid. If you don't mind, what do you consider overpaying?

gspchip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:17 am  Reply with quote

Eric, I paid right around 800 if my memory serves me correct..... some of the folks on the forum thought that was a somewhat to high....

I am really taken with the gun however and am happy.. can't wait to try it in the field.......
gspchip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:24 am  Reply with quote

Eric, just went to auction arms and took a look.....it is still on the website listing..... paid $750...... auction number 7884699...the pictures really doesnt do it justice..... I recut the checkering to a diamond point that turned out nice......
spyder
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:27 am  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
Sometimes you can catch a "sleeper" Fulton. Hunter Arms also made them for Sears, marked "Ranger". You have to know the difference between a Fulton and a Stevens, however, because a lot of the Rangers were Stevens. But the 3 big screws in a triangle pattern in the bottom of the receiver are a dead giveaway it's a Fulton.

Are there any other clues such as checkering or serial numbers