16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Charles Daly SxS - Opinions
gjw
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:03 am  Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all, I'm looking at a CD Field Hunter II in 16ga (of course) and was wondering what you all may think about it? Reliabiliy, workmanship, finish etc? Also looking at the weight factor, does anyone know what they weigh? I don't really want a 16 that weighs the same as a 12.

Thanks so much!!

Greg
M D Christian
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:22 am  Reply with quote

From 1875, up until World War II, the name Chas. Daly meant absolute top quality. They put the name Chas. Daly on guns made by Sauer, Tolley,Francotte, Lefever and many of the Prussian gunmakers of Suhl. Prussian guns by Lindner are some of the finest SxSs ever produced. Those guns are a thing of the past.. In the 60s and 70s Daly guns were produced by Miroku. These guns are of very good quality..Since the Miroku guns the quality has been mostly down hill, They have put the Daly name on every thing from a medioce gun to pure junk, So it mostly depends on where and who made your gun.. MDC
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

The gun may say "Made in Prussia" , Italy, or Japan.

If it says Prussia, just send it to me. Seriously, knowing where it was made, tells a lot.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
postoak
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

I believe the CD II's are made in Spain by Hermanos Zabala - the same gun sold a BSA.

XV'Ier has one - I think he likes his, he can shoot it also.

CDNN has those CD II's for a pretty good price, and they are a good outfit to deal with. It will not be of Game Gun weight.
LGF
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:10 pm  Reply with quote

I have one in 20ga. Hermanos Zabalas is right. I've not weighed it, but at the time I bought it, the CD web site showed it at something over 7lbs. Despite the weight, it handles well. I use it for clays and shoot it well, or at least as well as I shoot anything. Of course, it looks somewhat like a club, the fit is not good, and the trigger is a bit sloppy. But, as I say, it handles well for me, and I enjoy shooting it, and of course the price is favorable. So, no regrets whatsoever.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

The Miroku made Charles Daly guns used to be one of the most underrated guns ever made. i owned a whole slue of them from the Venture grade to the Diamond grade. Every one was functionally flawless and shot straight and true as any O/U I've ever owned.

The only flaw they had were the solid springs. Those springs broke all too frequently for my liking. Miroku never did get the hang of properly drawing them down so they were not overly brittle. However, the design had one of the fastest lock times available.

Most smithes would try disassembling the guns from the rear forward to remove and replace the broken springs. It was like trying to take a Chinese block puzzle apart backwards and upside down. the guns had bushed firing pins. Unscrewing those bushings was the key. Once that bushing was backed out, this took the load of the pin off the spring and made removal and replacement of the springs a simple matter. Then all that was needed was to screw the bushings back in to reload the springs. Sometimes a simple pin punch mark on the bushing seam kept them from loosening up.

Once original springs became scarce and the price of the guns went way up, I sold my collection and replaced the guns with the next best thing, Citori models. Miroku still makes a fine gun, but those Daly models were special.
uplandknight
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:43 pm  Reply with quote

gjw

I'd suggest that you look at a CZ. They are excellent quality. The Bobwhite SXS can be had for a few hundred dollars more The Ringneck as well. The Woodcock is an o/u in the same price range. All CZ's are built on frames that are proportionate to their gage. Very sleek- quick handling gun's. The Franchi Renaissance is a fine o/u in the price range of the CZ's. The Renaissance is the next generation of Franchi o/u. They have made some out standing improvements to this gun. These guns are more costly than the stoeger but well worth waiting for if you must. If you can spring for one - Browning Citori's are every thing that 16gageguy said the old Daly's were. Miroku manufacturers most Brownings today with some High Grade gun's being made in Belgium again. I have 2 citori lightings. they are marvelous gun's.