16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New (old) Browning
berg
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

Just picked up my new old A-5 16 ga. from my local dealer that does transfers. Bought it on GB and really hoped it would live up to the seller's description and pictures. Maybe not quite as high as he said, but darn close, within 1 -2 % and I'm not gonna argue.Very happy with the condition it is in.

My dealer couldn't believe the way it was packaged. Shipped in a nice old thick fleece lined soft case packed in foam inside a box made of 3/8" plywood and 1x4 screwed together. When this heavy crate arrived, without looking at the shippers address he thought it was something else he was expecting, (a big $ full auto BAR) not a $350 shotgun. When I walked in, the first thing he said was "I think you'll like it" with a smile like the cat that ate the canary.

American manufactured, supposed to be 1940, mid 4 digit serial #. 26" plain matted full choke barrel. Overall, a very nice, lightly used gun. Mid to high 90's % finish on the metal, absolutely no rust, pits or scratches, just a very slight thinning of the blueing. Very few small scrapes and dings in the wood and one small 3/16 " diameter chip on the toe of the buttplate. Wood is nice, a darker, plain straight grained walnut. Checkering is still sharp.

I will get some pictures of it soon and then try to figure out the posting thing.

berg
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

Berg,

Post the complete serial number. If it has a 4 digit serial number and was made in 1940 it is not an A5 (Auto-5), it is an "American Browning" manufactured by Remington for Browning while the Nazis were occupying Belgium. They are nice guns and ussually a good value.

If it is a 16 ga American Browning there will be a letter prefix "A" in the serial number

If it is a 16 ga Auto-5 you may find an X, S or R letter prefix and these were all made post WW2

Let us know!

Jeff
berg
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff,
I know it was made by Remington, it does have a four digit serial # A56xx (I don't post complete serial #'s of any of my guns on any website) and there are a few minor differences between it and an FN produced A5, but when it has the Browning name on it (in a couple of places) along with John Moses' picture, and the Browning company calls it as an Auto-5, then who am I to argue.

It really is pretty amazing that Browning was able to get Rem. to agree to the deal, when they already had the 11, but especially when they were starting to get a little busy with other things, and several other large American firearm companies shut down all production of sporting arms to manufacture military weapons.

And for Browning to to get production of the Hi-Power started up by Inglis is also pretty amazing, but after all the pistol was necessary for the war effort while the shotgun wasn't. Never heard anyone say that an Inglis manufactured pistol is not a "real" Hi-Power. Yes it is differentiated by manufacturer or country, just as the more recent Portugese guns, but they are still Hi-Powers (or P35's or GP's or a couple of other names)

Have also never heard anybody say that Miroku manufactured guns aren't "real" Auto-5's but just Japanese Brownings. After all there are slight diferences there too.

So, while you probably do know quite a bit more about Brownings and A5's than I do, for you to say "If it has a 4 digit serial number and was made in 1940 it is not an A5 (Auto-5)" is in direct contradiction to what the Browning company says. Browning says it is an A5.
Cut and pasted directly from their website. - From 1940 to 1946 production of the Auto-5 was turned over to Remington.

Yes, in other places Browning does call them American Brownings on their website, but only in discussion of the A5 and it is quite clear that the company says they are A-5's and they are only using the term to distinguish between locations of manufacture.

berg
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:31 am  Reply with quote

berg
Congrats on your new A5 Exclamation Its a pleasure to buy from someone who packs a gun as your seller did. Dam good price too. I know you'll enjoy that gun and yep its an A5 Rolling Eyes . Made in America -- thats the best part.
Yentzen
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:00 am  Reply with quote

All Salute the A 5 Brownings Very Happy

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:57 am  Reply with quote

WOW Exclamation No dogs in that line Exclamation Your gang of A5's are beautiful and you have every right to be proud of them Wink
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:53 am  Reply with quote

Berg,

Please don't take my observation as a criticism. It was not my intent to offend.

Your American Browning is a Browning, no doubt. Just as the Browning guns made by FN are Brownings. They are very nice guns and I'd be proud to own one. However the gun is not an Auto-5. It is a different model of gun.
The Browning website is a poor source of information. For example the serial number and dating information for Auto-5's is horrific.

American Brownings are not only different cosmetically, but despite the fact they are built under the same patents they are mechanically different ie: the parts do not interchange The American Browning parts do however interchange with the Remington Model 11. So, mechanically the gun is a Remington Model 11 with a magazine cut off added, a round knob stock and the Browning name and portrait.

By the way Miroku made guns are really Auto-5s, That is because the models are mechanically the same, the parts interchange and they were marketed as Auto-5's in the Browning literature and catalogs.

I'm just another nobody here on the internet who plays with these things as a hobby. You can choose to disregard my information....just remember that when you call Browning to order parts for your "A5" they aren't going to fit. (exception: action springs and friction ring)

Jeff
ckirk
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Yentzen"]All Salute the A 5 Brownings Very Happy

Yentzen,

Oh, how I envy you. That is one awesome line up man! Thanks for sharing.

I am developing a severe inferiority complex between your pics and the pics of Dave M's reloading room. Don't worry though, I'll get over it. Keep posting those great pics fellas.