16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Chicago 16 Gauge Event May 18-20th
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:25 am  Reply with quote

I do hope your calendars are marked for the National Classic Shotgun Festival at Chicago's Northbrook Sports Club. See the posting above.
There is an Official 16 Gauge Society Event planned. Visitors are welcome, but put a shotgun in your trunk because once at the club you'll want to shoot something!

h1tdk00
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:46 am  Reply with quote

Hal, are spreader loads allowed? My Fox is choked a little tight for skeet, so I thought I might load up some spreaders if that is allowed.

Thanks,
Tim
bustingclays
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

Hal and all:

I have motel reservations and my calendar is cleared. I'm looking forward to the shoot and a visit to John's Trap Guns in Libertyville. I am driving up Thursday morning and plan to shoot some practice and register Thursday after lunch. I am staying through Sunday night and driving back Monday.

see you there....

Dr. 16 Gauge
sbs470
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:13 pm  Reply with quote

Hi guys
I am currentley just down the road from Chicargo ,over the border in WI .I would like to try and get there to meet up with any of the members that may be shooting the event.
Can some one please post some directions and times.
I dont have a gun here but I may be able to borrow some thing from my host.As I sit here I can count at least 50 assorted fire arms within easy reach but no 16s.There is a 10 ga parker can I bring that?

good shooting

sbs470 ( displaced Aussie )
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:24 am  Reply with quote

h1tdk00 wrote:
Hal, are spreader loads allowed? My Fox is choked a little tight for skeet, so I thought I might load up some spreaders if that is allowed.

Thanks,
Tim

Yes-you may use spreader loads. Maximun load permitted is 1 1/16 ounce in the 16 gauge.

Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:25 am  Reply with quote

sbs470 wrote:
Hi guys
I am currentley just down the road from Chicargo ,over the border in WI .I would like to try and get there to meet up with any of the members that may be shooting the event.
Can some one please post some directions and times.
I dont have a gun here but I may be able to borrow some thing from my host.As I sit here I can count at least 50 assorted fire arms within easy reach but no 16s.There is a 10 ga parker can I bring that?

good shooting

sbs470 ( displaced Aussie )

sbs470-
We will find some SxS's for you to shoot.

bustingclays
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

sbs470

no worries mate!

I will have several options in the truck and I recall that Hal said some loaners would be available. I will have some shells of all gauges except 32 and 24 if needed.

If you drive into Illinois with a shotgun - make sure it is cased completely (zipped close) Wink

I will have a 16 ga society hat and pins visible. The 4 -door blue dakota pu has IL plates and says 25 SxS on the plate.

Looking forward to meeting all who attend.

Dr. 16 Gauge
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:33 am  Reply with quote

Anyone in the Chicago area is welcome to drop in for a visit. Registration is open, so you can wait until the last minute--if you wish. Any entry fee will be refunded to shooters participating in at least one shooting event.

I do hope you will have an opportunity to drop by. Look for the 16 Gauge Society banner!

Scatrgunr
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

Although business is taking me to Cleveland until Thursday night I will be back in time to shoot the 16 gauge event on Friday. A buddy has me talked into sporting clays on Saturday as well. I'll see you all there.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:25 am  Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing you all.

rudyc
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Just got back from Northbrook. We shot a sporting clays course and a round of skeet. Very nice venue, pleasant staff and great weather. Kinda wish I had shot a little better, but that's my beef not the clubs. The clays course was set up great: moderate ranges and coming from all directions. We shot mid-morning and there was no lines, no waiting. A good time was had by all.
SShooterZ
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

I might have to stop by tomorrow or Sunday as I live about 10 miles away.

Hmm.... Wink
RalphEGrant
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

A friend and I spent the day there and had an absolute wonderful time. I shot both sporting clays courses (Red and Green) and got a chance to drool over the SXS's on display. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to go over to the skeet fields and meet Hal, nor did I see any 16ga.com guys.

I thoroughly enjoyed the NCSF Green Course. I thought the presentations on it were pretty challenging, full of variety, and were complemented by the tree's, elevated platforms, and terrain. A very fun time. Very Happy

The NSCA Registered Red course was challenging but I found it to be a little repetitive and actually a little boring, especially on the 3rd through 7th stations. I like variety and stations where tree's and terrain play a bigger part in the shooting. The theme for the day on the Red Course seemed to be a LOT of shots out at 40 yards and very high or quartering In/Out crossers way out/up there in wide open spaces. I think the target setter did a fantastic job given the wide open terrain of the first 7 or 8 stations on the course. He didn't really have a lot of options. A very fun time. Very Happy

If your going out to shoot for fun and only have time to shoot one course, I would recommend the Green Course. Unless of course you absolutely have to shoot at the registered targets.

I wish I had more time to shoot the Skeet and Five Stand events.

Brning Cyn Sprting 12ga O/U,
Auto 5 12ga Belg, 16ga BPS, 20ga Citori, Beretta 3901 Target 12ga, AL391 Teknys Gld
DeHaan SO 16ga S2 12ga SXS's, Chaz Daly 20ga SXS, CZ Ringneck 28ga SXS
Rem 1100 .410 Sprting
budrichard
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

Practise on Thursday confirmed my opinion that my 6# 1oz Bruchet/Darne was the not the ticket for 50 rounds on Friday. Great woodcock/grouse gun but too light for the range! Switched to 16 gauge Model 21 SKEET, much better.
Northbrook Sports Club again did an excellent job! Hal Hare and his wife did an excellent job as well. Had one person want to purchase my 21 SKEET right ouf of my hands but it was already promised to Lou at CSMC. More to come.
My only comment is that for a bird shooter, primarily shooting SC before the event, we practised SKEET for a couple of months but the low gun mount and time delay threw in new elements into the fray. In any event it was a fun weekend.-Dick
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:22 am  Reply with quote

We had a great time. Seemed like there was always something to shoot.

Some challenging Sporting Clays offerings on the Veterans course! Maybe I'll hit the Lewis Class purse--certainly didn't score well enough to place in my Class.

The club was great. We had 40 entries for the various skeet events. Sorry if I missed anyone, and almost everything was shot in a European rotation [unsquadded-shoot where and when you want.]

I will post the 16 Gauge Society Event results later this week.