16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Value of this SxS??
75bronco
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:57 am  Reply with quote

Hey Guys, I'm new here and found this forum while trying to find the value of a gun that caught my eye the other day. I found a Stoeger Sephyer Woodlander SxS 16ga, serial # 153448. It says Stoeger Arms Corp. Made in Spain on top of the barrels and has some wonderful engraving. Its in great shape, blueing is unharmed, has some slight surface rust on the trigggers but nothing that couldn't be cleaned up and a few minor knicks in the wood finish. I've wanted a 16 ga for years and in the past 2 years I've really been wanting a SxS to shoot sporting clays. I haven't been able to find much information on these guns. Anyone know the value? Are they good guns? or should I stay clear? Any input would be appreciated!! Thanks Guys!!
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

These were made by Victor Sarasqueta I believe. I don't know too much about them, but from what I read they're pretty decent guns by a decent maker. I'm sure some others here will weigh in. A friend of mine has one in 12ga and he likes it a lot. Sorry I can't be of more help; good luck!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
75bronco
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the response....It does have Sarasqueta stamped under the barrels at the break. I just want to make sure I'm not paying too much but it is a 16 ga and a SxS, both of which I've been wanting.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

What are they asking?

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
M D Christian
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:44 am  Reply with quote

There were about 7 models in the Zephyr line, the Woodlander being the economy model. It was a boxlock, with extractors and double Triggers and was priced at $108 in 1962. The Upland King was the top of the line, It was a sidelock, with SST, ejectors and full coverage engraving, and priced at $218, in 1962.. These were pretty good guns, with quality well above most Spanish imports of that period. The only down side was the not so great engraving and the weight, the 16 bore at 7 pounds and over.. The seem to be priced all over the board, but I would think a 16 bore Woodlander would be in the $400 to $600 range.. MDC
75bronco
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:47 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys!! They're asking $500 for it which from the 12ga's I've found seems to be a little high but I wasn't sure if the fact this one was a 16ga would help the value. Does $500 sound reasonable?
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:21 am  Reply with quote

At 500. the question really is do you like it, do you think it will carry well, and does it fit(of at least close enough). Not a lot of anything at that price point. Have you looked at the DeHann stuff? It's a couple of $$ more.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:07 am  Reply with quote

I'd say the 16ga factor definitely makes it worth more than a 12; I've seen a bunch of these in 12 and 20 but don't think I've ever seen a 16. My friend paid less for his 12, but the 20's I've seen were $500 or over as I recall. The price doesn't sound bad if you like the gun; like Hun said, not a lot of 16's available at that price. Maybe they'll dicker a little?

75bronco
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:16 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the response guys. I think I'll go see if they'll work with me at all and if so I'll probably buy it. I really liked the feel of the gun and how smooth it was to point. If I do get it, I'll put some pics up. Thanks again guys!!
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:47 am  Reply with quote

By the way, welcome to the board and let us know how it works out for you Very Happy !

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

I'd say good buy at that price; better if they come down a little. Assuming very good condition and that you like it. The Sarasquetas mostly had beavertail forends and were, in general, somewhat heavier than many Spanish sxs. But pretty darned reliable guns. I'd buy it for that if the condition is good and if it fit me.
popplecop
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:05 am  Reply with quote

I have one in a 20 ga. that I paid $200 for about 4 yrs. ago. Use it for grouse and woodcock and like it real well.