16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  My new Fox
bigkev
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:12 am  Reply with quote

Here are a few pics. I am very happy with the gun. You really need to see in person as the pics that I took don't do it justice. The only mistake is they put gold triggers which I do not want, but they told be that is an easy fix and would change them at any time. The other is the gun is a bit stock heavy which I don't prefer. Due to my long LOP and the butt plate which is thick. It has already had the stock hollowed out a bit. My only option is to have Briley thin walls added, but I hate screw in chokes. That might add a few ounces. The gun weighs 6.7 lbs. with the 20 gauge 29" bbls and about the same with the 16 30" bbls. It does swing nice, so I will need to shoot it ASAP.The UJ grouse turned out nice. You need to see it up close to really appreciate it.
[/img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p210d040b0eb6e4f8383136418cdbdbcf/e98cfbc2.jpg[img]
[/img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p4dca33dc37f4409fb698d1f95548e80c/e98cfbaf.jpg[img]
[/img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p1e7fa8b2e381b0f531a5b92dc30f7033/e98cfb2c.jpg[img]
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pe3a9df52d3ef7a07a7412571dd79d586/e98cfb05.jpg[/img]

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Congrats! That's a beautiful gun, and I like the 26" 20/30" 16 combo idea. Seems about perfect. Not sure why you would need tubes though, if both sets are choked differently.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:09 am  Reply with quote

Nice-----VERY NICE Cool Cool Very Happy Very Happy
gmbeebe
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

An absolutely gorgeous piece. Congratulations but please loose the screw in choke idea
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

That gun is almost too purty to shoot - - almost! Congratulations, beautful piece.

fred lauer
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

Wonderful Fox. Worry about the correct ballance first. If tubes will give it to you,by all means go with them. I've passed up some pretty guns because of improper balance. If it doesn't have it, you're just swinging an expensive chunk of pipe. Let us know how it turns out for you.

mike campbell
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:50 am  Reply with quote

Guess with you bringing that thing the swishers and inverhouse is out, eh? Canadian cubans and what was that stuff your recomended? from the NH store?

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

I'd think about a bit of weight added near the muzzle end if the gun is still muzzle light after removing as much wood as you dare. Sometimes a bit more solder can be put in the spaces between the top and bottom ribs out at the muzzle end.

You can get an idea of how much solder you will need by taping some sheet lead a bit at a time to the bottom of the barrel ends. Once the gun feels right, then weigh up the lead on a grain scale. Then you will know if enough solder can be placed to do the job. The maker should be able to do this rebalancing for you if he weight needed is reasonable. Otherwise, more steel at the muzzle ends would have been better. This means a slightly longer barrel length or thicker barrel walls are needed

Any fix should not add any really noticable overall weight to the gun. An ounce or so won't adversely effect the overall heft but might help you get on the bird faster and easier if the barrels come up flat and true for you.

If you need more than an ounce or two, then I don't have an easy answer for the problem. I'd look to the maker to make it right in that case. Good balance is a key factor in gun making and designing. At the price I'm guessing you paid for the gun, you should have had it already IMO. you might need to have the maker fit a lighter weight stock than the one that is on the gun. The one that is there now might be lovely to look at, but the wood might be just too dense for the gun design.

Perhaps you might be able to have the maker take out more wood and then reinforce the stock hollow with kevlar cloth and resin to add back some strength. Anyway, good luck. I hope you find a solution. it would be a shame if you can't find a reasonable solution after investing the money in the gun.
Silvers
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:12 am  Reply with quote

Big Kev, a beautiful Fox! You dun good. FYI - I've owned several guns with flush thinwalls. Those not familiar with them, think they may add some weight like regular extended choke tubes. As Mike said, in reality they do not add anything. The metal that is counterbored from the muzzles is replaced with the screw-in choke tube. Personally I'd rather see the Fox or any classic SxS with fixed chokes,

Are you going to be at Hidden Hollow? Will you have the Fox with you? Just a watchout - be sure to cover it with saran wrap; you're going to have a lot of guys drooling over your gun! Silvers

bigkev
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:40 am  Reply with quote

Silvers, I will be at the shoot on Saturday. See you there.
Silvers
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Great Kev! I'll see you there. Silvers

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:49 am  Reply with quote

That is my dream gun very nice. If you ever have a falling out with the gun please send it to me I will give it a good home and regular use. I will give it a complete cleaning and rubdown after each outing. I think Ansley himself would like to shoot that gun. Very nice!
Silvers
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:12 am  Reply with quote

Well I met Kev at Hidden Hollow yesterday and he was VERY gracious in letting people handle his new Fox. He didn't even have it covered with plastic wrap as I suggested earlier. The workmanship was absolutely outstanding! It was kind of neat, this tall guy was in front of the Fox Collectors' table, holding a nice Fox and I just knew he had to be BigKev. I'll be back up there today and maybe we'll get a chnace to talk some more. If Kev is already home, very good to make your acquaintance! PS those 30" barrels pointed really well. Silvers

Last edited by Silvers on Sun May 20, 2007 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

bigkev
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

Silvers, It was very nice meeting you. I am glad that you liked the Fox. I am very pleased with the gun.