16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Help with Hull Selection
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:18 am  Reply with quote

I reload for all the gauges, using Remington hulls for 12 and 20 ga, and AA-HS hulls for 28 and 410, all with satisfaction. I get good crimps and the hulls last a long time.

Not so with the 16 ga. I have Fiocchi hulls that are splitting on the second reload, and some of the Remington black hulls are split on the initial firing as factory ammo, or on the first reload. The Fiocchi gives decent crimps most of the time, and the Remington nearly always. The Winchester hulls give better crimps, usually. For some reason my Citori will misfire the bottom barrel with Remington factory loads, but has no problems with Winchester factory loads. I shot all my Fiocchi factory loads in another gun so can't tell if the Citori likes them or not. Will be trying to get some Fiocchi and NobelSport factory loads soon to try them out.

I realize that the 16 ga hulls will never match the STS or AA-HS for longevity, but I am about to give up on reloading the 16 ga all together and just use the gun for hunting with factory loads, and concentrate on reloading the other gauges for targets.

Any input from members on hull longevity or other tricks to help with the reloading of the 16 ga would be greatly appreciated. I guess that I am seeking moral support and encouragement before abandoning my favorite gauge. Don't let the dark side take me!

I have no experience with Federal hulls, or the Cheddite hulls from Graf's. Any help would be welcome. If I do abandon reloading the 16, there will be some R-16 wads available.
WVBob
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:57 am  Reply with quote

I've used the Remington green and black and had the same splits. The best hulls I've found are from Ballistic Products and some Imperial from Graf's. Get a brass crimp started. I've had the best crimps using it.

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:02 am  Reply with quote

USAFA 71, you've about covered it. None of the hulls are worth a shit, to be honest with you. But, I've found the Cheddite to be about the best for me.

USAFA 71
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I know the Winchester is a Cheddite clone so I was thinking that the Cheddites from Graf's may be the way to go. I guess that I might not need those R-16 wads in the Cheddite hull. But I have plenty of SG-16s, and if I decide to get rid of the R-16s, I think the guys here will be happy to take them off my hands!

I had forgotten about the brass crimp starter from BP. I might just have to invest in one, especially if I start with new hulls without any crimp memory.

Thanks again for the help. I just wish we could talk Remington or Winchester into selling us a 16 ga STS or AA-HS hull as a component.
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:55 am  Reply with quote

I have very few problems with Federal hulls and can often get half dozen + reloads from each. I do not load payloads greater than 1oz.
The 'Super Crown' crimp starter will make an excellent addition to your loading bench if you plan to load 'new' hulls. The 'spindex' crimper does not perform well at all for me on new hulls.
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

Woodcock - Thanks for the info on Federal hulls. I am leaning toward the Cheddite/Winchester just because of availability, but I was wondering about the durability of the Federal. If I can't get four or more reloadings out of the Cheddite or Winchester, then I will explore the use of the Federal hulls. I don't expect to load more than 1 oz, and mostly 7/8 oz at 1100 1150 fps for targets. If I need more than 1 oz, I will buy a box or two of heavier loads, or bit the bullet(no pun intended) and just carry the 12 ga! Again, thanks for the input.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

I can get 4 or more loadings from the Cheddite hulls I use with no problem.
I have got 2 loads on the Cheddite paper hulls with rool crimps. Haven't shot the third yet.

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:53 am  Reply with quote

I've read here that some folks had hulls split on factory Rem black shells, but only in extremely cold temps.

rizzini 16
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

The best hull I've found, 5-6 reloads easy, is the 16g " Multi Hull" from Ballistic Products. They were green, now they're blue. This hull is made by Cheddite, maybe identical. Doesn't expand too too much, re-sizes OK, crimps OK. I use it as follows, mostly for sporting clays:
BP hull - Sg16wad - 22 grains of Unique - 1 oz of 8's
average 1312fps on chrono test

The 2cnd best hull is the Federal purples. However this is a Paper Base wad hull, so i load it for skeet, and only 3-4 times...you won't notice if a disintegrated bade wad lodges in your barrel as you insert the next shell-so watch the old hulls carefully!
Fed hull - Sg16wad - 17.5 grains Green Dot - 1 oz 8's
average 1240 fps on chrono test.
Good luck.

David
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't shot any 16 ga shells that I have reloaded yet. I have been using Cheddite hulls.
Years ago reloading 12 ga. 20 ga. and 28 ga. mostly Win. AA's, and shooting the 20 ga. primarily in skeet. I used to be able to reload the 20 ga AA's using Win. 209 primers, Win AA wads, Unique Powder and get at least 12 reloads from each shell. The only thing that happened after that was that the crimps would split, and the primer hole was reamed out that you could push a new primer in by hand. I had mostly Winchester AA's, with some Activ and Federals thrown in there also. The Activs were a nice shell also. Still have 2 cases of 20 ga mixed reloads from 20 years ago, plus 2 cases of 12 ga AA's. Shot most of the 28 ga in hunting, my favorite guage to use.
Are the hulls of today thinner, cheaper or the powder hotter, that you can only reload 4-6 times? They still make Unique, Red Dot, SR 4756, has it changed?
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:11 am  Reply with quote

David--4756 and 7625 ares still around as is Unique (probably the oldest smokeless) and Red Dot. RD is a bit 'hot' for 16's but there are some loads listed for it--I have a old box of 16ga. skeet loads that states on the box "loaded with Red Dot"

I get numerous loads with the Federal purple hulls and use them 'til they are pretty ratty--same for S&W and Alcan as they appear to be Federal
clones.