16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  new to reloading 16
rgrigutis
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:58 am  Reply with quote

hi guys
i've been reloading 12,28, and .410 for a couple years. got a couple 16's and well, i've discovered i'd better start reloading for 16 too. i got some multihulls and sg16 wads from bpi. they sent a load data chart and there's a column for filler wad/overshot. i've never used a filler wad/overshot, never heard of one before. bpi told me not to worry about it. it's just to help the crimp. what have you guys experienced w/ using filler wad or without?

i plan to load the multihulls w/16.5 gr of promo [actual recipe calls for red dot 16.5 gr], the sg16 wad, and no filler wad, 1 oz. lead. the data sheet says 1240fps and 10,400 psi. is this safe to shoot in an old a5, not sweet 16 but regular?

obviously i'm just getting started w/ the 16. does the data group offer any how/to w/ their data and if not can anyone point me to a reference for reloading 16. i'm reading here and picking up quite a bit. an organized format explaining the whys/how-to's would be a boon.

thanx, rick
britgun
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

I am FAIRLY new to 16ga reloading, and I have found Longshot to be a very good powder. A great, hot off the press place to start is the new Lyman's reloading manual for shotgun available to buy online at Cabela's. They have some great loads listed there. I think the load you mentioned would be OK for your A-5, but I personally believe you can get as good velocities with substantially lower pressures using Longshot. The Lyman book has some good formulas for purple Federal hulls and black Remington hulls using your SP-16 wads. Both aforementioned hulls are easily obtainable. I only use an overshot card if I need a little extra room to avoid a concave crimp, but a lot of guys use some light filler such as puffed wheat and such. Another good source for recipes is the powder manufacturer's websites.

You may also consider contacting RWG and joining the low pressure 16 bore reloading group. They have a ton of different recipes using every component under the sun....

Good luch, have fun, be safe,

britgun

rgrigutis
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

thanx brit gun!
WVBob
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:16 am  Reply with quote

I've found it better to use a fiber wad in the base of the shot cup to get a good crimp. I'm working on a 3/4 oz load using Longshot, with a 28ga wad to fill the shell.